|Text||Pauline epistles, Catholic epistles|
|Now at||British Library|
|Size||18.4 cm by 14.9 cm|
Minuscule 644 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), α 476 (von Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 14th century. The manuscript is very lacunose. Gregory labelled it by 220a and 275p, Scrivener by 229a (for the Catholic epistles) and 270p (for the Pauline epistles).
The codex contains the text of the Pauline epistles and Catholic epistles, on 94 parchment leaves (size 18.4 cm by 14.9 cm), with lacunae (Romans, 2 Corinthians 1:1-11:25; James 4:4-5:4; 1 Peter 3:15-Jude). It is written in one column per page, 21 lines per page. According to Scrivener it is very neatly written.
It contains Prolegomena, tables of the κεφαλαια (chapters) before each epistle, τιτλοι (titles), lectionary markings on the margin, Menologion, subscriptions at the end of each epistle, and numbers of στιχοι at the margin.
The manuscript was bought from Constantine Simonides, the most versatile forger of the nineteenth century, for the British Museum in 1853. It is one of the very few authentic Simonides pieces. The manuscript was added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Scrivener (229a, 270p) and Gregory (220a, 275p). It was examined and described by Bloomfield. Gregory saw the manuscript in 1883. In 1908 Gregory gave the number 644 to it.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 70.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 85.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament, vol. 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 296.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments, Vol. 1. Leipzig. p. 282.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Handschriftenliste at the Münster Institute