|Now at||Berlin State Library|
|Size||12 cm by 9 cm|
Minuscule 657 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 180 (von Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 11th or 12th century. The manuscript is lacunose. Scrivener labelled it by 876e.
The codex contains the text of the New Testament, on 296 parchment leaves (size 12 cm by 9 cm) with some lacunae (Matthew 1:1-9, Mark 1:1-10, John 8:7-21). The text is written in one column per page, 21-22 lines per page, in very small letters.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), which numbers are given at the margin, with their τιτλοι (titles) at the top. The text of the four Gospels is also divided according to the Ammonian Sections (in Mark 234 Sections – the last Section in 16:9), with references to the Eusebian Canons (written below Ammonian Section numbers).
It contains the Epistula ad Carpianum, lists of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) before each book. It contains liturgical books with hagiographies (Synaxarion and Menologion) at the end of the codex, and pictures of the Evangelists are placed before each Gospel.
The Greek text of the codex is a representative of the Byzantine text-type. Hermann von Soden classified it as Kx. Kurt Aland placed it in Category V. According to the Wisse's Profile Method it belongs to mixed Byzantine text in Luke 1 (fragmentary), to the Πa in Luke 10 (weak), and to the Kx in Luke 20.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 71.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 86.
- Handschriftenliste at the Münster Institute
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 275.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs. pp. 209–210.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 64. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.