|Now at||Cambridge University Library|
|Size||28.5 cm by 17.7 cm|
|Note||close to minuscules 17, 30|
Minuscule 70 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), ε 521 (von Soden), is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment leaves. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 15th century. The manuscript has complex contents. Marginalia are incomplete.
The codex contains complete text of the four Gospels on 186 leaves (size 28.5 cm by 17.7 cm). The text is written in one column per page, 23 lines per page. The large initial letters in gold and colour.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, in Latin like minuscule 62. It contains the τιτλοι (titles of chapters) at the top of the pages and there are some marginal corrections made by Budaeus and some by Hermonymus.
In Matthew 1:11 it has additional reading τον Ιωακιμ, Ιωακιμ δε εγεννησεν (of Joakim, and Joakim was the father of). The reading is supported by Codex Campianus, Koridethi, manuscripts of the textual family f1, Minuscule 17, 33, 71, and 120; the reading was cited by Griesbach in his Novum Testamentum Graece.
The manuscript was written in Paris between 1491-1494 for Guillaume Budé by George Hermonymus (like codices 30 and 287). It once belonged to Bunckle of London, then to Bishop Moore. It was used by John Mill in his Novum Testamentum (as Bu.). C. R. Gregory saw it in 1885.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 50.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, "Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments", Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 50.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 145.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 203.
- Aland, Kurt; Barbara Aland; Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.) (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 54. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- Eberhard Nestle, Erwin Nestle, Barbara Aland and Kurt Aland (eds), Novum Testamentum Graece, 26th edition, (Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1991), p. 4. [NA26]
- Griesbach, Novum Testamentum Graece, Volume 1, p. 4.