|Birth name||Gong Minji|
January 18, 1994 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Gong Minji|
Her duet song with CL, "Please Don't Go," peaked at number 6 on the monthly Gaon Digital Chart in November 2009. With 2NE1, she has released two extended plays and two studio albums.
Early life and career
Minzy was born in Seoul, South Korea, but moved to Gwangju shortly thereafter where she participated in many dance contests and competitions during her younger years. Minzy is the grandniece of Gong Okjin, a well-known folk dancer in South Korea.
Minzy was discovered by YG Entertainment through a video uploaded on the internet, which showed her dancing. The video received many hits and garnered praise for Minzy's ability to dance. Because of her rising popularity through the internet, YG contacted and recruited her, after which she became a trainee in the entertainment company.
The group's name was initially announced as "21"; however, due to the discovery of a singer with the same name, the group was renamed "2NE1", which "NE" is the abbreviation of "New Evolution". Minzy was placed in 2NE1 as the main dancer, alongside CL, Sandara Park and Park Bom.
They debuted in 2009 with "Lollipop", a collaboration with label mates Big Bang, when Minzy was only fifteen years old. The song reached number one on the Gaon Charts, but questions were raised about whether the group could survive on its own. In May the same year, the group had their official debut with the single "Fire", that reached #1 again along with follow-up promotional single "I Don't Care". The EP 2NE1 went on to sell over 100,000 copies in that year.
After initial success with 2NE1, the group went on a temporary year-long hiatus with each member releasing their own singles. Dara released "Kiss", Bom released "You and I", and CL and Minzy released "Please Don't Go". The song was the lowest performing of the three solo singles but still managed to chart at number six on the monthly charts. After all the members released individual singles, the band released "Follow Me" which landed at number one for the week of February 13. In September, the group had their comeback with album To Anyone with title tracks namely "Go Away", "Clap Your Hands", and "Can't Nobody". The album went on to sell 150,000 copies.
Minzy is known to be friends with several idols, such as f(x)'s Amber, Luna and was even mentioned in Sulli's 'Thanks to' section and Girls' Generation's Yoona, Tiffany, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon, Psy, Super Junior's Siwon, Miss A's Min, Kara's Goo Hara and as well as soloist IU. She is also close to Japanese pop star Koda Kumi. Big Bang's G-Dragon has named Minzy as his favorite junior.
|2009||"Please Don't Go" (with CL)||6||To Anyone|
|2013||"Miracle" (with Other SBS Friendship Project artists)||-||You Are A Miracle|
- 2009: Girlfriends (Korean: 걸프렌즈) (cameo)
- "Nate People Search: 공민지" [Nate People Search: Gong Minji]. Nate People Search (in Korean). SK Communications. Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- ""공민지, 공옥진 여사 발인 참석"...2NE1, <엠카> 출연취소". OhMyNews.com. July 10, 2012. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "2NE1's Minzy drops out of high school". allkpop. 17 July 2009. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- Cho, Hyun-u (April 14, 2009). "빅뱅에 숟가락 얹은 ‘2NE1’ 성공할 수 있을까?" [Big Bang's helping hand for '2NE1', can they succeed?]. Kukinews (in Korean). Kukminilbo Kukinews. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Gaon Chart Search: 2NE1". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved October 30, 2010.
- "Hanteo Chart 2009 Year Top Album Sales". Hanteo Chart (in Korean). Hanteo Information System. Retrieved November 2, 2010.
- "Gaon Chart Search: 민지" [Gaon Chart Search: Minzy]. Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved November 11, 2010.