Mir Ali (engineer)
Mir M. Ali (Bengali: মীর এম আলী) (born January 9, 1944) is a Professor Emeritus of Architecture and the former Chairman of Structures Division in the School of Architecture, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). He is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH).
He has performed extensive research in civil engineering. Research includes Structural History of Skyscrapers, Systems Integration of Tall Buildings, Structural Design for Natural Disasters, Sustainable Design, Low-cost Housing and Urban Design, etc.
He came up with innovative solutions to major structural problems in engineering practice. He has taken part in Eight projects in Illinois and Indiana, Eleven projects in Ontario, Canada, and eight international projects (Bangladesh, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Mexico, Abu Dhabi, Malta,and Pakistan).
"Integrated Design of Safe Skyscrapers: Problems, Challenges and Prospects," Proceedings CIB-CTBUH International Conference on Tall Buildings: Strategies for Performance in the Aftermath of the World Trade Center, Kuala Lumpur, October 20–23, 2003
“Sustainable Tall Buildings: Recent Developments and Future Trends,” Proceedings of The American Institute of Architects (AIA) Illinois Symposium on Critical Practice for the 21st Century, Peoria, IL, November 3–4, 2006
“Energy-Efficient Architecture and Building Systems to Address Global Warming,” Leadership and Management in Engineering Journal, ASCE, Special Issue, July, 2008
“Structural Sustainability of High Performance Buildings,”Proceedings of the 5th International Structural Engineering and Construction Conference:Challenges, Opportunities and Solutions, Las Vegas, NV, September 21–27, 2009
“Sustainable Technologies and the Tall Building: Emerging Trends and Future Challenges,” National Building Materials & Construction World (NBM&CW), India, Vol. 17, July, 2011
“Skyscrapers and Placemaking: Supporting Local Culture and Identity,” Archnet-International Journal of Architectural Research, Volume 6, Issue 2, July, 2012
Awards and Honors
Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, Chicago, IL
Advisory group member, CTBUH
Chairman, Committee 30: Architecture, CTBUH (1990-1998)
CTBUH Group PA-Planning and Architecture (Chairman), 1998-2005
Fazlur Rahman Khan Chair Advisory Committee, Lehigh University, 1990-2003
Founding Editor, CTBUH Journal, 1999-2002
Interviewed, quoted, and aired by newspapers, magazines, and radio stations following World Trade Center (WTC) collapse by New York Times, Chicago Daily Herald, Toronto Star, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Daily Illini, Architectural Record, WILL AM Radio, I llinois Radio Network, Public Radio International/National Public Radio, etc.; September 11-October 15, 2001
Feature article, “Urge to Build Skyscrapers will Endure, Scholar Says” on his interview with UIUC News Bureau on WTC and his book on skyscrapers in Inside Illinois, October 18, 2001 (posted on the UIUC News web site; September 17, 2001)Guest Commentator, “Town Hall Meeting: Rebuilding a Way of Life in the Face of Disaster,” UIUC School of Architecture Forum; October 18, 2001 (quoted on October 19 in The News-Gazette article “Building Experts Say Skyscrapers will Rise Again”)
- Fazlur Khan
- Srinivasa 'Hal' Iyengar
- Lynn S. Beedle
- School of Architecture
- University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- University of Waterloo
- Rizzoli International Publications
- Edwin Mellen Press
- WIT Press
- ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering
- American Concrete Institute
- University of Melbourne
- The American Institute of Architects
- Architectural Science Review Journal
- The Bangladesh Today
- National Science Foundation
- Nanyang Technological University
- Sargent & Lundy
- Skidmore, Owings and Merrill
- New York Times
- National Public Radio
- "Mir M. Ali". Arch.uiuc.edu. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- "Professor Mir M". Ejse.org. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Mir M. Ali, ed. (1995). Architecture of Tall Buildings. McGraw-Hill. p. 750. ISBN 978-0070125407. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Ali, Mir M. (2001). Art of the Skyscraper: The Genius of Fazlur Khan. New York: Rizzoli International Publications. p. 240. ISBN 978-0847823703.
- Mir M. Ali, ed. (2004). Catalyst for Skyscraper Revolution: Lynn S. Beedle—A Legend in His Lifetime. CTBUH. p. 220. ISBN 0939493209. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Lynn S. Beedle, Mir M. Ali, and Paul J. Armstrong (2007). The Skyscraper and the City: Design, Technology, and Innovation. The Edwin Mellen Press. p. 912. ISBN 978-0-7734-5333-3.
- K. Al-Kodmany and Mir M. Ali (2013). The Future of the City: Tall Buildings and Urban Design. WIT Press. p. 460. ISBN 978-1-84564-410-9. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Ali, Mir M.; Grierson, Donald E. (1 February 1988). "Limit Design for Direct Control on Serviceability". Journal of Structural Engineering 114 (2): 371–389. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:2(371).
- Ali, Mir M.; Thomas R. Napier (July 1989). "Evaluation Technique for Concrete Building Systems". Concrete International 11 (7): 33–39.
- Ali, Mir M. (22–28 June 1996). "Performance Characteristics of Tall Framed Tube Buildings in Seismic Zones". Proceedings 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- Ali, Mir M. (February 1998). "Concrete Change". Civil Engineering: The Magazine of the American Society of Civil Engineers. 2 68.
- Ali, Mir M. (2001). "Evolution of Concrete Skyscrapers: from Ingalls to Jin mao". EJSE Homepage Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering 1 (1): 2–14.
- Ali, Mir M. (20–23 October 2003). "Integrated Design of Safe Skyscrapers: Problems, Challenges and Prospects". Proceedings CIB-CTBUH International Conference on Tall Buildings: Strategies for Performance in the Aftermath of the World Trade Center.
- Paul J. Armstrong and Mir M. Ali (2006). "Sustainable Tall Buildings: Recent Developments and Future Trends". Proceedings of the AIA Illinois Symposium on Critical Practice for the 21st Century.
- Mir M. Ali and Paul J.Armstrong (May 2007). "Strategies for Integrated Design of Sustainable Tall Buildings". AmericanAIA National Convention and Expo 2.
- Ali, Mir M.; Kyoung Sun Moon (June 2007). "Structural Developments in Tall Buildings: Current Trends and Future Prospects". Architectural Science Review 50 (3): 205–223. doi:10.3763/asre.2007.5027.
- Armstrong, Paul J.; Mir M. Ali (May 2008). "Skyscrapers Defining Cities: New Trends in Supertall Buildings and Urban Design". American Institute of Architects National Convention.
- Ali, Mir M. (July 2008). "Energy-Efficient Architecture and Building Systems to Address Global Warming". Leadership and Management in Engineering Journal, ASCE (Special Issue).
- Ali, Mir M. (July 2008). "Urban Design Strategy Report on Tall Buildings in Malta". CTBUH Journal.
- M. M.Ali and P. Dimick (September 2009). "Structural Sustainability of High Performance Buildings". Proceedings of the 5th International Structural Engineering and Construction Conference: Challenges, Opportunities and Solutions.
- Ali, Mir M. "Earthquake---Act of God; Avoiding Catastrophic Destruction---In Man’s Reach". The Bangladesh Today.
- Mir M.Ali and Paul J., Armstrong (July 2011). "Sustainable Technologies and the Tall Building: Emerging Trends and Future Challenges". National Building Materials & Construction World (NBM&CW) 17.
- K. Al-Kodmany and M. M Ali (July 2012). "Skyscrapers and Placemaking: Supporting Local Culture and Identity". Archnet-International Journal of Architectural Research 6 (2).
- Ghoreishi, Amir H.; Ali, Mir M. (27 November 2012). "Parametric study of thermal mass property of concrete buildings in US climate zones". Architectural Science Review: 1–15. doi:10.1080/00038628.2012.729310.
- "TOKTEN channels global expertise back home". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Office of the Chancellor | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign".
- Ali, Mir M. (2007). "School of Architecture, UIUC, Excellence in Teaching Award".
- "Fulbright Programs". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Illinois Campus Research Board". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "National Science Foundation Awards". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)".