Mira Aroyo at Ottawa Bluesfest in 2008
|Born||1977 (age 35–36)|
|Genres||Electronic, synthpop, New Wave|
|Occupations||Musician, DJ, geneticist|
|Associated acts||Ladytron, The Projects|
|Korg MS-20, Korg MS-2000B|
Mira Aroyo (Bulgarian: Мира Аройо; born 1977) is a Bulgarian musician, known as the secondary vocalist and one of the keyboardists and songwriters of the electronic band Ladytron. She writes and sings her songs for Ladytron in Bulgarian as well as English. Aroyo has a PhD in genetics from Oxford University and she is also a DJ.
Mira Aroyo was born in 1977 in Sofia, Bulgaria, to Bulgarian Sefardic background. Aroyo moved with her family to Israel when she was ten. The first musical instrument that she ever played was the guitar. Also when she was younger, she played the accordion.
In the summer of 1999, the Liverpudlian producers and DJs Daniel Hunt and Reuben Wu met the students Helen Marnie (through various DJ gigs) and Mira Aroyo (through a mutual friend). Sharing similar interests in music, they formed the electronic band Ladytron in the same year. Since then, Aroyo is the secondary singer of the band, and also plays synthesizers and contributes to songwriting.
Aroyo was a postgraduate research geneticist in the Oxford University's Biochemistry department. She co-authored an article on "Species specificity in the activation of Xer recombination at dif by FtsK", published in Molecular Microbiology, 2003.
Aroyo stated in an interview with Daily Record: "We all had jobs when we started Ladytron then little by little we ditched them. I was a geneticist doing a PhD and realizing lab work wasn't for me. We were doing Ladytron at the same time and I was enjoying it more. It was easier and more fun".
Aroyo also collaborated with the indie pop band The Projects. The song "Don't Eat Meat" featured Mira as vocalist. She also collaborated with John Foxx & The Maths for the song "Watching a Building on Fire".
Aroyo played live the following instruments for the band:
- Korg MS-20, Jen SX-1000, Stylophone, Speak and Spell (604 tour);
- Korg MS-20, Roland Juno 6 (Light & Magic tour);
- Korg MS-20, Korg MS-2000B (Witching Hour and Velocifero tours);
- Korg MS-20 (Best of 00-10 and Gravity the Seducer tours).
- Beatport Live presents Ladytron’s Mira Aroyo | Beatportal
- Roland U.S. - Insider - Ladytron
- "3/29 – Ladytron – 'Best Of: 00 – 10'". Nettwerk Press Blog. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Videovision: Ladytron interview". 2002. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "60 second interview: Ladytron's Mira Aroyo - The Daily Record".
- "Department of Biochemistry - Admin & Adverts January 2003".
- Species specificity in the activation of Xer recombination at dif by FtsK - Yates - 2003 - Molecular Microbiology - Wiley Online Library
- THE PROJECTS | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's
- The Projects - Don't Eat Meat - YouTube
- Bedales Association. "Bedales Association and Old Bedalian Newsletter 2011 (PDF page 40)". Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "Interview: Ladytron's Reuben Wu - Shanghai - Shanghai Blogs Blog - City Weekend Guide". Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Ladytron | Issue 11 - Speak Your Mind Issue
- Aroyo's Korg MS-2000B