Mira Mesa Senior High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Mira Mesa Senior High School|
|Established||13 September 1976|
|Principal||Scott Giusti |
|Students||2,617 (2010-2011) |
|Location||10510 Reagan Road,
San Diego, California 92126, USA
|District||San Diego City Schools|
|Colors||Blue and gold|
Located in the northern portion of the San Diego city limits, Mira Mesa is situated in an area once inhabited by Indian tribes. Because much of the land was considered wasteland, it was not put to much use for years until developers in the early 1960s saw its potential to relieve the housing shortage San Diego was suffering.
In 1974, a school bond issue was passed to help build the schools that the now full-fledged town of Mira Mesa sorely needed. On September 13, 1976, Mira Mesa Jr./Sr. High School was opened and now serves grades 9-12, fed by the local Challenger and Wangenheim Middle Schools.
Mira Mesa High School's Athletics programs include: Football, basketball, field hockey, waterpolo, swimming, baseball, soccer, tennis, cross country, cheerleading, volleyball, badminton, softball, wrestling, lacrosse, track and field etc.
The Mira Mesa Wrestling team won its first ever CIF Championship (Division 1) in 2014. The team has also won three consecutive Eastern League Titles and three consecutive City Conference Titles.
- Technical Theatre
- Band/Marching Band 
- Color Guard 
- Dance/Drill Team
Mira Mesa High School's marching band, the Sapphire Sound, was part of the band that performed in the Sydney 2000 Olympic Opening Ceremonies.
Mira Mesa AFJROTC
MMHS is home to the 936th Wing of the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer's Training Corps (CA-936). This unit has a Sabre Team, an Armed Fancy Drill Team, an Unarmed Fancy Drill Team, and Color Guard. The Wing has a friendly rivalry with Herbert Hoover High School's AFJROTC Group. They are also neighbors to the Scripps Ranch AFJROTC branch no. 935. Among other awards, CA-936 has been awarded the Stillwell trophy at the annual Pass and Review.
This Air Force branch of JROTC has served MMHS since 1993. Upon being established and until the present day, certified Air Force Science Instructor and Veteran Master Sergeant James B. Manson has served the cadets faithfully.
The Witch Creek Fire
On October 22, 2007, many victims found shelter in the school gym, after they evacuated from the Witch Creek Fire and several other fires threatening San Diego at the time. The fire burned over 20,000 acres (81 km2).
- Jamie Palmore (Class of 2004) Professional Skateboarder
- Amon Gordon (Class of 2000), defensive lineman for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Teyo Johnson (Class of 2000), former NFL player, current WR/FB for the Calgary Stampeders (CFL)
- J. R. Tolver (Class of 1998), former NFL & CFL player, current WR for the Los Angeles Avengers (AFL)
- Michael Pittman (Class of 1993), NFL running back for the Arizona Cardinals (1998–2001), NFL running back for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002–2007), NFL running back for the Denver Broncos (2008), UFL running back for the Florida Tuskers (2009–present)
- Willy Santos, (Class of 1993), Professional Skateboarder
- Mike Bovee (Class of 1991), former MLB player
- Ray Rowe (Class of 1987), former NFL player
- Lysley Tenorio (Class of 1990), short story writer, author of Monstress and recipient of NEA fellowship, Wallace Stegner fellowship, and Whiting Writers' award.
- Dean Wilkins (Class of 1984), former MLB player
- Chris Chelios (Class of 1978), NHL player
- Mira Mesa High School Wrestling web site
- Mira Mesa High School Football web site
- Mira Mesa High School Baseball web site
- Mira Mesa High School Basketball web site
- Mira Mesa High School web site
- Mira Mesa High School Band
- Mira Mesa High School Alumni
- Mira Mesa AFJROTC