Mirage of Blaze
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2008)|
|Mirage of Blaze|
DVD cover for Mirage of Blaze: The Complete Collection
(Honoo no Mirage)
|Genre||Historical, Supernatural, Shōnen-ai|
|Written by||Mizuna Kuwabara|
|Illustrated by||Kazumi Toujou (novels 1-11)
Shouko Hamada (novels 12-40)
|Original run||November 1990 – April 2004|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Susumu Kudo|
|Licensed by||Media Blasters|
|English network||Encore Action, Encore WAM|
|Original run||January 7, 2002 – April 8, 2002|
|Original video animation|
|Mirage of Blaze: Rebels of the River Edge|
|Directed by||Fumie Muroi|
|Licensed by||Media Blasters|
|Released||July 28, 2004 – November 26, 2004|
Mirage of Blaze (炎の蜃気楼[ミラージュ] Honō no Mirāju?) is a shōnen-ai light novel series by Mizuna Kuwabara, which are published under Shueisha's Cobalt label. It was adapted into an anime TV series directed by Susumu Kudo in 2002 and an OVA in 2004.
Difficult to classify, Mirage of Blaze is equal parts melodrama, historical and romance, and supernatural fantasy. Japanese history predominates a heavily structured plot, which mainly involves the continued aggression between magic using guardians, or "possessors," and the denizens of a "feudal underworld," or the restless souls of long-dead samurai attempting to re-ignite ancient war on the modern plane.
Novell all 40 volumes. however, isn't published in English. Only 13 volumes are animated at present. Prequel, "Kaikou-hen (炎の蜃気楼邂逅編 真皓き残響)" and "Bakumatsu-hen (炎の蜃気楼幕末編)" and "Shouwa-hen (炎の蜃気楼昭和編)" also published.
Takaya Ohgi, a typical high school student, wants nothing more than to protect his best friend Yuzuru Narita and live a normal life. That is, until Nobutsuna Naoe, an intense and charismatic older man, informs Takaya that he is in fact the reincarnation of Lord Kagetora, the adopted son of a noble samurai lord, Kenshin Uesugi. Naoe, himself a "possessor," or a soul reborn through time, reawakens Takaya's abilities to exorcise evil spirits and fight the Feudal Underworld, a collection of restless warrior spirits bent on modern-day conquest. While most possessors remember their former lives before being reincarnated, Takaya does not, and is often hostile towards any effort for the complete recovery of his memory. As the plot unfolds, the complex history of the characters and their past suggests why this is so, and the true nature of the tempestuous and somewhat ambiguous relationship between the two leads provides the backdrop for a melodrama that spans several generations of Japanese history. As they ascend to the living world to renew their ancient war, Naoe, Takaya, and two other possessors gear up to prevent that from happening.
The OVA Rebels of the River Edge (2003) has animated the book with same title. this OVA resumes the plot of the anime TV series, yet incorporates several new developments, among them the question of unswerving loyalty and personal honor. Takaya is sent to Kyoto to investigate the re-awakening of the Ikko sect and Araki Murashige, a one time member of the Ikkō sect who has since deserted the clan. With the help of his vassal and fellow possessor Haruie, the two are successful in tracking him down, only to discover that Murashige is after a 400-year-old mandala (a Buddhist ritualistic artifact and meditative aid) made of the hair of the deceased Araki clansmen. Unfortunately, by the time they meet up with Murashige, Haruie recognizes him as Shintarou, her former lover in a past life. Whether it's true or not, and despite the confusing emotional complication of this development, Takaya orders Haruie to eliminate Murashige once he becomes a true threat to the balance of power. Meanwhile, Takaya finally reunites with Naoe after a prolonged period of estrangement. Unresolved sexual and psychological tension dominates their initial exchange, and it's uncertain whether these two powerful possessors will resolve their differences and work together against this latest threat.
- Takaya Ohgi (仰木 高耶 Ōgi Takaya?)
- Voiced by: Toshihiko Seki (Japanese), Richard Cansino (English)
- A 17-year-old high school delinquent who finds out that he's actually the reincarnation of Kagetora Uesugi, despite having repressed the memories of his prior existence due to a traumatic incident. Abrupt and outspoken in demeanor, he defiantly and exhaustingly denies the fact that he is Kagetora, refusing to believe that he is anyone but Takaya. He nonetheless exhibits a highly moral attitude towards his newfound duty as a "possessor" once he accepts the reality of his past. Through the course of the series, he develops a minor split personality, confusing his ancient persona from his current persona (i.e. Takaya Ohgi vs. Kagetora Uesugi). All of the Uesugi possessors, as well as close friends, call him "Takaya" unless he's in his Kagetora persona, save Naoe who always calls him "Lord Kagetora" as a mark of their master/vassal relationship. He's a very powerful magic user, capable of exorcising spirits and demons and constructing an energy barrier against attack. he is skeptical, and is distrust of other since Takaya's misfortune background and trauma of Kagetora. He's eager for paternity and tends to trust an older man.
- Yoshiaki Tachibana (橘 義明 Tachibana Yoshiaki?)
- Voiced by: Shō Hayami (Japanese), Jamieson Price (English) Voiced by: Kōji Tsujitani (2nd Drama CD)
- The current incarnation of Nobutsuna Naoe. He is the third son of the Tachibana family and is a monk of Shingon-shu Buzan-ha at the Kougenji temple in Utsunomiya. He's quite rich because his oldest brother managing real estate company. He is about eleven years older than Takaya, and much more methodical and deliberate in his methods. Intense and understated in speech, he nonetheless harbors a passionate and rebellious nature beneath his veneer of docility and allegiance. He and Kagetora Uesugi had at enemies in their lifetime. however, he has become a servant of Kagetora posthumously in Kenshin Uesugi's order. He holds deep love for Kagetora though he's jealous of Kagetora's ability，and is showed on several occasions that he would do anything to make him. He wields a similar form of energy magic, and is capable of sensing demonic or supernatural auras. He can also make others be possessed at man's bodies compulsorily. Takaya and all other members of the Uesugi clan call him "Naoe." He raped Minako Kitazato, Kagetora fiance in a previous life. moreover, he has possessed Kagetora to Minako got pregnant with his own child when Kagetora's body killed in the fight against Oda. eventually they've killed, he was desperate to be found Kagetora's reincarnation.
- Shuhei Chiaki (千秋 修平 Chiaki Shūhei?)
- Voiced by: Yasunori Matsumoto (Japanese), Lex Lang (English)
- The current incarnation of Nagahide Yasuda, two years older than Takaya, and on the surface a typical high school student. He is a possessor and magic user, but apparently also has the ability to alter the perceptions and memories of others. His arrival in the series is accompanied by his sudden and mysterious appearance in Takaya's homeroom as his "best friend." His loyalty to the Uesugi clan is at first questionable, since his whereabouts and intentions were unknown before his abrupt arrival in Takaya's life. He has a laid back personality and is slow to anger, and is concentrated and precise in combat. he is also considerate person, is always take with weak sides. he's very good at hypnotic suggestion, he use items called Koppa-jin. All the Uesugi clan possessors call him by his ancient name Nagahide, save Takaya who calls him by his current name, Chiaki.
- Ayako Kadowaki (門脇 綾子 Kadowaki Ayako?)
- Voiced by: Sakiko Tamagawa (Japanese), Julie Ann Taylor (English)
- The current incarnation of Haruie Kakizaki, originally male. Somewhere in her past, whether by accident or design, she switched gender. She is a female college student about 21 years of age who rides a Yamaha FZR400 motorcycle called "Ecchan". Despite her decidedly feminine appearance, everyone calls her by "Haruie". She is easy going and friendly with a bit of a competitive streak. When she first meets Takaya, she challenges him to a motorcycle race and beats him easily. She is a powerful exorcist and dependable in combat, and is very good at soul searching. she worshiped Kagetora since when she was alive. In the OVA series, Rebels of the River Edge (2003), her past experiences are developed in greater detail. 200 years ago, Haruie fall in love with young docter Shintaro Sone when she was reborn in girl. however, Shintaro's died. she has been waiting his reincarnation to believe his promise.
- Danjo Kousaka (高坂 弾正 Kōsaka Danjō?)
- Voiced by: Kenyū Horiuchi Voiced by: Jūrōta Kosugi (2nd Drama CD)
- The current name is Kimihiko Arai who is college student. Shingen Takeda's mistress. He is elusive, always sarcastic person.
- Yuzuru Narita (成田 譲 Narita Yuzuru?)
- Voiced by: Taiki Matsuno
- The best friend of Takaya. He worry Takaya's in trouble. He showed a strong psychic power sometimes.
- Ujiteru Hojo (北条 氏照 Hojō Ujiteru?)
- Voiced by: Hideyuki Tanaka
- The real elder brother of Kagetora Uesugi. He care about Kagetora who took as hostage in Hojo clan only in his brothers. He calls Kagetora "Saburo" the Kagetora's old name when he was in Hojo clan.
- Kotaro Fuma (風魔 小太郎 Fūma Kotarō?)
- Voiced by: Mitsuru Miyamoto
- The Fūma ninja serving to Hojo clan. He always expressionless and no emotion.
- Nobunaga Oda (織田 信長 Oda Nobunaga?)
- Voiced by: Ryōtarō Okiayu
- Uesugi clan's biggest enemy. The possessed of rock band "SEEVA"'s leader Eiji Shiba. He calls Kagetora a "beauty-brute". Kagetora and Naoe killed by him in the battle 30 years ago.
- Satoshi Hatayama (波多山 智 Hatayama Satoshi?)
- Voiced by: Tomokazu Seki
- Yuzuru's junior in his club activities. The current incarnation of Ranmaru Mori, Nobunaga Oda's lover.
- Saori Morino (森野 紗織 Morino Saori?)
- Voiced by: Akiko Yajima
- The classmate of Takaya. She crush on Yuzuru. She is active and brisk.
- Miya Ohgi (仰木 美弥 Ōgi Miya?)
- Voiced by: Tomoko Miura Voiced by: Tange Sakura (Drama CD)
- The sister of Takaya. She's a innocent, mollycoddle, sweet girl. Takaya never wants to make her have a dangerous experience.
- Honō no Mirage
- Aka no Zan'ei
- Glass no Komoriuta
- Mahoroba no Ryūjin
- Saiai no Anata e
- Hasha no Makyō (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Minagiwa no Hangyakusha
- Wadatsumi no Yōkihi (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Yomi e no Kazaana
- Karin no Ōkoku (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)
- Karin no Ōkoku Reppū-hen
- Karin no Ōkoku Rettō-hen
- Jūjika o Daite Nemure
- Retsumyō no Hoshi
- Sakigake no Mushi
- Sabaku Junkyō
- Onshū no Mon Ōmi-hen
- Onshū no Mon Akasora-hen
- Onshū no Mon Hakurai-hen
- Onshū no Mon Kokuyō-hen
- Onshū no Mon Kōjō-hen
- Onshū no Mon Hakai-hen
- Mukan Jōdo
- Yōhen Mokushiroku I Nachi no Shō
- Yōhen Mokushiroku II Futsu no Shō
- Yōhen Mokushiroku III Yata no Shō
- Yōhen Mokushiroku IV Jinmu no Shō
- Yōhen Mokushiroku V Tenma no Shō
- Yōhen Mokushiroku VI Ranka no Shō
- Yōhen Mokushiroku VII Dakuha no Shō
- Kakumei no Kane wa Naru
- Ashura no Maegami
- Kaminari no Ikusaba
- Senoku no Yoru o Koete
- Exaudi nos
- Shinku no Hata o Hirugaese
- Honō no Mirage Memorial
- Akai Kujira to Bīdoro Dōji
Anime Episode list
- Ill-Fated Destiny - Two high school friends discover they are the reincarnation of ancient warriors who soon realize they are locked in a deadly battle with the spirit of a long-dead evil warlord.
- Possessor From The Darkness - Naoe talks with Takaya about his past, the battle 400 years ago, and the awakening of Takeda Shinken.
- An Imperfect Awakening - Yuzuru goes missing after the binding bracelet Naoe gives him is removed.
- Premonition of a Chain Reaction - Takaya meets a strange woman while riding his motorcycle to school. Afterwards he learns he has a new classmate and best friend he has no memory of. Later Uesugi meets Takaya at his school and senses an ominous presence.
- Endless Conflict - Spirits from Japan's Dark Ages, know as Possessors, are reappearing in modern times. Takaya has now met two others with spirit powers, Naoe and Ayoho. They insist his body is being possessed by a powerful samurai.
- Golden Emblem - Takaya's doubt meets its final test as his entire school turns into a spawning ground for the armies of the Undead.
- Memories of Hateful Anguish - For the past 2 months, Takaya and Naoe have been exorcising spirits left and right. For another lovely history lesson, Naoe takes Takaya to a special place where a war rages on.
- At the End of Obsession - Takaya is forced to confront his anger and mixed emotions about himself and Naoe. He must come to grips with these emotions quickly before he injures himself or someone else maliciously.
- Endless Void - Naoe searches for and confronts the evil beast Tsutsuga.
- Sorrowful Betrayal - Unable to accept his alternate identity, Takaya meets with Ujiteru Hojo, Kagetora's brother, and he is forced to remember his past with Naoe.
- Eternal Blaze - The Hojo clan begins a cataclysmic plan to take over Nikko. They've kidnapped Yuzuru and plan to burn him alive to release a burst of spiritual energy.
- Choices of Conflict - An unexpected answer is given to Lord Ujiasu's proposal.
- Twilight of Beyond - Naoe and Takaya search for the Tsutsuga mirrors to destroy them.
OVA episode list
- Chapter 1 - Dearest Wish
- Chapter 2 - Tiger's Eye
- Chapter 3 - Wind of the River's Edge
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2014)|
- Mahoroba no Ryūjin
- Saiai no Anata e
- Kono Yoru ni, Tsubasa o
- Washi yo, Tagatame ni Tobu
Image Albums and Anime OST
- Honō no Mirage -MIRAGE OF BLAZE-
- Honō no Mirage Off Vocal Version (Karaoke ver of 1st Album)
- Wadatsumi no Yōkihi - Honō no Mirage II -
- Karin no Ōkoku - Honō no Mirage III -
- Shūai (Vocal Collection) - Honō no Mirage IV -
- Honō no Mirage Off Vocal Collection (Karaoke ver of All Image Album songs)
- Honō no Mirage Original Sound Track (TV Series OST)
- Honō no Mirage SPECIAL CD COLLECTION (Complete Album Collection of all Image Albums)
- Minagiwa no Hangyakusha Original Sound Track (OVA OST)
Prequel "Mirage of Blaze Showa-hen Yonakidori Bruce" has been made into plays in Theater Sunmall in Tokyo, Shinjuku on September 17, 2014.