1 June 1956 |
|Occupation||Poet, novelist, essayist, journalist, professor|
|Period||1978 – present|
|Literary movement||80s Generation, Blue Jeans Generation, Postmodernism|
Born in Bucharest, he graduated from the University of Bucharest's Faculty of Letters, Department of Romanian Language And Literature, in 1980. Between 1980 and 1989 he worked as a Romanian language teacher, and then he worked at the Writers Union and as an editor at the Caiete Critice magazine. In 1991 he became a lecturer at the Chair of Romanian Literary History, part of the University of Bucharest Faculty of Letters. As of 2010, he is an associate professor. Between 1994-1995 he was a visiting lecturer at the University of Amsterdam.
His debut as a writer was in 1978 in România Literară magazine.
- Faruri, vitrine, fotografii..., ("Headlights, shop windows, photographs...") Cartea Românească, 1980 - Writers Union Prize, 1980
- Poeme de amor ("Love Poems"), Cartea Românească, 1982.
- Totul ("Everything"), Cartea Românească, 1984.
- Levantul (The Levant), Cartea Românească, 1990 - Writers Union Prize, 1990, republished by Humanitas in 1998.
- Dragostea ("Love"), Humanitas, 1994.
- 50 de sonete de Mircea Cărtărescu cu cincizeci de desene de Tudor Jebeleanu ("50 Sonnets by Mircea Cărtărescu With Fifty Drawings by Tudor Jebeleanu"), Brumar, 2003
- Desant '83 (volum colectiv/collection), Cartea Românească, 1983.
- Visul ("The Dream"), Cartea Românească, 1989 - Romanian Academy Prize, 1989; translated into French and Spanish; Latin Union Prize nominee.
- Nostalgia ("Nostalgia"), full edition of "Visul", Humanitas, 1993.
- Travesti, Humanitas, 1994 - Writers Union Prize 1994; ASPRO Prize 1994; translated into French, Dutch and Spanish
- Orbitor (Blinding), vol. 1, Aripa stângă (Volume 1, "The Left Wing"), Humanitas, 1996
- Gallimard, Translation (French) by Alain Paruit, 2002, ISBN 2-07-042265-8
- Jurnal ("Diary"), Humanitas, 2001, ISBN 973-50-0095-4
- Jurnal I, 1990-1996, Humanitas, 2005, 2nd Ed., ISBN 973-50-0985-4
- Orbitor (Blinding), vol. 2, Corpul (Volume 2, "The Body"), Humanitas, 2002
- Enciclopedia zmeilor (The Encyclopedia of Dragons), Humanitas, 2002
- De ce iubim femeile (Why We Love Women), Humanitas, 2004, ISBN 973-50-0869-6
- Jurnal II, 1997-2003, ("Diary II, 1997-2003"), Humanitas, 2005, ISBN 973-50-0986-2
- Orbitor (Blinding), vol. 3, Aripa dreaptă (Volume 3, "The Right Wing"), Humanitas, 2007
- Frumoasele străine (Beautiful Strangers), Humanitas, 2010
- Visul chimeric (subteranele poeziei eminesciene) ("Chimerical Dream - The Underground of Eminescu's Poetry"), Litera, 1991
- Postmodernismul românesc ("Romanian postmodernism"), Ph.D. thesis, Humanitas, 1999
- Pururi tânăr, înfăşurat în pixeli ("Forever young, wrapped up in pixels"), Humanitas, 2003
- Baroane! ("You Baron!"), Humanitas, 2005
- Parfumul aspru al ficţiunii ("The Rough Fragrance of Fiction"), Humanitas, 2003
Awards and honours
- 1980 Romanian Writers' Union Prize
- 1989 Romanian Academy's Prize
- 1990 Romanian Writer's Unions Prize, Flacăra magazine Prize, Ateneu magazine Prize, Tomis magazine Prize, Cuvântul magazine Prize
- 1992 Le Rêve nominee for: Prix Mèdicis, Prix Union Latine, Le meilleur livre étranger
- 1994 Romanian Writer's Union Prize, ASPRO Prize, Moldavian Writers' Union Prize
- 1996 ASPRO Prize, Flacăra magazine Prize, Ateneu magazine Prize, Tomis magazine Prize, Cuvântul magazine Prize
- 1997 Flacăra magazine Prize, Ateneu magazine Prize, Tomis magazine Prize, Cuvântul magazine Prize
- 1999 Orbitor's French translation nominee for Prix Union Latine
- 2000 Romanian Writers Association Prize
- 2002 ASPRO Prize, AER Prize
- 2006 Grand Officer of the Cultural Merit Order (Ordinul "Meritul cultural" în grad de mare ofiţer), awarded by Romanian Presidency
- 2011 Vilenica Prize
- 2012: International literatur prize „Haus der Kulturen der Welt 2012”, Berlin 
- 2013: Spycher - Literary Prize Leuk, Switzerland
- 2013: Grand Prix of the Novi Sad International Poetry Festival
- 2014 Best Translated Book Award, shortlisted for Blinding, translated from the Romanian into English by Sean Cotter 
- 2014 Premio Euskadi de Plata to the Best Book of 2014 for Las Bellas Extranjeras (Frumoasele străine), translated from the Romanian into Spanish by Marian Ochoa de Eribe (Editorial Impedimenta)
- "Mircea Cărtărescu premiat la Berlin" (in Romanian). Retrieved June 2012.
- "Mircea Cărtărescu a câștigat Spycher - Literaturpreis Leuk în Elveția" (in Romanian). Gândul. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Premiu elveţian pentru Mircea Cărtărescu" (in Romanian). Retrieved November 2014.
- Chad W. Post (April 14, 2014). "2014 Best Translated Book Awards: Fiction Finalists". Three Percent. Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- Excerpt from The Roulette Player (original title: "Ruletistul"), story from Nostalgia, by Mircea Cărtărescu, at WordsWithoutBorders.org 
- Mircea Cărtărescu's page at Humanitas publishing house 
- Mircea Cărtărescu's page at Zsolnay/Hanser Verlage publishing house 
- A review of Nostalgia by Joshua Cohen at New Haven Review 
- Cartarescu meets his readers at the International Book Fair of Turin, Italy