||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (December 2008)|
|Intercommunality||Pays de Mirepoix|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Nicole Quillien|
|• Land1||47.28 km2 (18.25 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||66/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||09194 / 09500|
|Elevation||276–462 m (906–1,516 ft)
(avg. 308 m or 1,010 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants are called Mirapiciens.
The centre of Mirepoix is built around the place de Couverts which in turn has the 14th century Maison des Consuls as its main attraction. The overhanging arcades have exposed beams and from these there are approximately 150 individually carved wooden heads.
- Jacques Fournier (c.1280-1342) was Bishop of Mirepoix from 1326, and became Pope in 1334, taking the name Benedict XII. He was the third Avignon Pope.
- Pierre-Paul Riquet (1609-1680) was the engineer responsible for the construction of the Canal du Midi. He lived in Mirepoix from 1634 to 1646.
- Marie de Calages (1630-1661), born in Mirepoix, was a poet. She was crowned many times by l’Académie des Jeux Floraux.
- Jean-Joseph Vidal (1747-1819) was an astronomer, particularly noted for his study of the planet Mercury.
- Bertrand Clausel (1772-1842) was a marshal of France.
- Marcel Pagnol (1895-1974), the novelist, playwright and filmmaker, taught at the École Supérieure in Mirepoix.
- Pierre Daboval (1918-) is an artist.
- Terence Macartney-Filgate (1924-) is a British-Canadian film director. He has directed, written, produced or shot more than 100 films in a career spanning over 50 years.
MiMa is an international festival of the art of marionettes.
Mirepoix Musique promotes concerts of classical music (particularly French and English) throughout the year in and around Mirepoix.
Salon du Livre d’Histoire Locale de Mirepoix
The festival Swing à Mirepoix is held each year over the Easter weekend.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mirepoix, Ariège.|
|This Ariège geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|