Miroslaw Balka (born 1958, Warsaw, Poland), is a contemporary Polish sculptor and video artist. He graduated from Warsaw's Academy of Fine Arts in 1985. He currently works in Otwock and Warszawa, Poland.
From 1986 to 1989, Balka worked in the group Consciousnes Neue Bieriemiennost.
He was the 1991 winner of the Mies van der Rohe Stipendium from the Kunstmuseum Krefeld and he is a member of Akademie der Kunste, Berlin. Balka runs the Spatial Activities Studio at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warszawa.
Solo exhibitions of Balka's work include: De Appel Foundation, Amsterdam Galeria Foksal, Warsaw Museum Haus Lange, Krefeld The Renaissance Society, Chicago Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven Muzeum Sztuki, Lodz Tate Gallery, London Museet for Samtidskunst, Oslo IVAM, Valencia The National Museum of Art, Osaka Galeria Zacheta, Warsaw SMAK, Gent Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo Museum of Contemporary Art, Zagreb Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee The Douglas Hyde Gallery, Dublin Musee d’Art Moderne et Contemporain, Strasbourg; K21, Düsseldorf Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin Modern Art, Oxford Kunsthalle, Karlsruhe Museo Reina Sofia, Madrid CCA, Warsaw Akademie der Kunste, Berlin.
Balka is represented by Dvir Gallery in Tel Aviv, Galería Juana de Aizpuru in Madrid, Galerie Nordenhake in Berlin, Gladstone Gallery in New York, Raffaella Cortese Gallery in Milano, White Cube in London.
Balka's works are owned by museums worldwide including: Hirshhorn Museum, Washington DC; Moderna Galerija, Ljubliana; MOCA, Los Angeles; MOMA, New York; Museu Serralves, Porto; Muzeum Sztuki, Lodz; SFMOMA, San Francisco; Tate Modern, London; The Art Institute, Chicago; The Israel Museum, Jerusalem; The National Museum of Art, Osaka; Van Abbemuseum, Eindhoven, and Center of Contemporary Art, Warsaw.
- Miroslaw Balka's Website
- Biography of Balka on Tate website
- How It Is at Tate Modern
- Marges at FRAC Centre
- Profile at culture.pl
- Miroslaw Balka's solo exhibition at White Cube Gallery Mason's Yard London, review by art critic Kostas Prapoglou for Aesthetica Magazine, May 2014
- 'The Shadow of Life's Mechanisms: A Conversation with Miroslaw Balka', Sculpture magazine, November 2004.
- "BBC News: Polish artist chosen to fill Tate". BBC. 2009-01-29. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- Tate Modern website. 'The Unilever Series: Miroslaw Balka'. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Lewis, Rebecca. 'Miroslaw Balka, How it is', this is tomorrow, 18 November 2009. Retrieved 17 January 2010.