Mirosławiec air disaster
A CASA C-295 of the Polish Air Force similar to the accident aircraft.
|Date||23 January 2008|
|Aircraft type||EADS CASA C-295|
|Operator||Polish Air Force|
|Flight origin||Warsaw Frederic Chopin Airport, Poland|
|Destination||12th Air Base, Mirosławiec, Poland|
The Mirosławiec air accident occurred in Poland on 23 January 2008 when an EADS CASA C-295 military transport plane crashed as it approached the Mirosławiec runway, killing all passengers and crew. The Polish Air Force plane had been flying from Warsaw to the 12th Air Base in Mirosławiec, and the 20 victims included high-ranking air force officers.
Although this was the first serious accident of a CASA C-295, after the accident all Polish C-295s were grounded until further notice. In the subsequent investigations the primary cause of the accident was determined to be an inadvertent loss of spatial and situational awareness by the aircraft crew during the landing approach in poor weather conditions, with a low cloud ceiling and little visibility. A number of secondary causes and contributing factors were also found by the investigation after the accident, including deficiencies in the air traffic controllers' skills and methods of directing and controlling the landing.
- "Polish army plane in fatal crash". BBC News. 24 January 2008. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Katastrofa samolotu wojskowego na Pomorzu Zachodnim" (in Polish). Trojmiasto.pl. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- "Poland grounds C-295 transports after 20 killed in crash". Flight Global. 25 January 2008.
- "ASN Aircraft accident CASA C-295M 019 Miroslawiec AB". Aviation-safety.net. 23 January 2008. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- PROTOKÓŁ badania zdarzenia lotniczego nr 127/2008/2 – wypadku ciężkiego (katastrofy lotniczej) samolotu CASA C-295M numer 019, zaistniałego w 13 eskadrze lotnictwa transportowego z Krakowa, dnia 23 stycznia 2008 r., w środę., o godz. 19.07, w nocy IFR, Komisja Badania Wypadków Lotniczych Lotnictwa Państwowego, Warszawa, 20 marca 2008, pages 27-35
- "Polish air force dismisses five personnel following C-295 crash report". Flight Global. 14 April 2008.