Verner was the director of the Czech Institute of Egyptology link for seventeen years, and led the Czech excavations at Abusir. He has also been associated with the Universities of Vienna and Hamburg as well as the Charles University in Prague and the American University in Cairo.
Dr. Verner has been active in archaeological work since 1964, and he has been excavating at Abusir since 1976. In 1998, the tomb of Iufaa, an Egyptian priest and administer of palaces, was discovered in an unmolested tomb by a team of Czech archaeologists from the Czech Institute of Egyptology, under the direction of Verner.
In 2005, Dr. Verner became the director of the project called "Investigation of the civilisation of Ancient Egypt". The project runs from 2005 to 2011, and the aim is to study the evolution of Egyptian society throughout its history.
Selected monographs include:
- Abusir XII. Minor tombs in the Royal Necropolis I (The Mastabas of Nebtyemneferes and Nakhtsare, Pyramid Complex Lepsius no. 24 and Tomb Complex Lepsius no. 25) (with J. Krejčí and V.G. Callender), Prague 2008.
- Unearthing Ancient Egypt: Fifty years of the Czech Archaeological Exploration in Egypt [Hardcover] (with Hana Benesovska); Czech Institute of Egyptology; December 31, 2008. (ISBN 978-8073082062)
- Abusir IX — The Pyramid Complex of Raneferef, the Archaeology (v. 9, Pt. 1) [Hardcover], Czech Institute of Egyptology Charles Univers; December 31, 2006. (ISBN 978-8020013576)
- Abusir X — The Pyramid Complex of Raneferef: The Papyrus Archive (Abusir Monographs) (v. 10) (with Paule Posener-Krieger and Hana Vymazalova) [Hardcover], Czech Institute of Egyptology; December 1, 2006. (ISBN 978-8073081546)
- Abusir: The Realm of Osiris (Hardcover), American University in Cairo Press: 2003, 248 pages (ISBN 977-424-723-X)
- The Pyramids: The Mystery, Culture, and Science of Egypt's Great Monuments, Grove Press, : October 2001, 432 pages (ISBN 080213935)
- Forgotten pharaohs, lost pyramids: Abusir, Academia Skodaexport; 1994. (ISBN 978-8020000224)
- The mastaba of Ptahshepses (The Excavations of the Czechoslovak Institute of Egyptology at Abusir) , Charles University (1977)
- Contemporaneous Evidence for the Relative Chronology of Dyns. 4 and 5, in: E. Hornung – R. Krauss – D. A. Warburton (eds.), Ancient Egyptian Chronology, (HdO. Section 1. The Near and Middle East 83), Leiden – Boston 2006 [v tisku].
- The Abusir Pyramids Quarry and Supply Road, in: P. Jánosi (ed.), Structure and Significance. Thoughts on Ancient Egyptian Architecture, (DÖAW 33), Wien 2005, 531–538.
- Archaeological Remarks on the 4th and 5th Dynasty Chronology, Archiv Orientální, Volume 69: 2001, pp. 363–418
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miroslav Verner.|
- Miroslav Verner Website Page maintained by the Czech Institute of Egyptology. Background and bibliography are provided.
- Interview with Miroslav Verner (Czech)