Glenny is the son of the late Russian studies academic Michael Glenny. He was educated at an independent school, Magdalen College School, in Oxford, and studied at Bristol University and Prague's Charles University before becoming Central Europe correspondent for The Guardian and later the BBC. He specialised in reporting on the Yugoslav wars in the early 1990s that followed the breakup of Yugoslavia. While at the BBC, Glenny won 1993's Sony Gold Award for his 'outstanding contribution to broadcasting'. He has also written three books about Central and Eastern Europe. In McMafia (2008), he wrote that international organised crime could account for 15 per cent of the world's GDP.
Glenny advised the US and some European governments on policy issues and for three years ran an NGO helping with the reconstruction of Serbia, Macedonia and Kosovo. Glenny appeared in the 2011 documentary film, Raw Opium: Pain, Pleasure, Profits.
Since January 2012, Misha has been visiting professor at Columbia University’s Harriman Institute, teaching a course on "crime in transition". In an interview in October, 2011 he also spoke about his new book, DarkMarket; assessing cybercriminals with Simon Baron-Cohen at Cambridge; the Stuxnet cyberattack which resulted in "gloves off" attention from governments; and other more recent cyberattacks.
- The Rebirth Of History: Eastern Europe in the Age of Democracy (Penguin Books, 1990)
- The Fall of Yugoslavia (Penguin Books, 1992)
- The Balkans: Nationalism, War and the Great Powers, 1804-1999 (Penguin Books, 1999)
- McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Criminal Underworld (The Bodley Head in the UK and Alfred A. Knopf in the US, 2008)
- DarkMarket: Cyberthieves, Cybercops and You (Knopf, 2011) ISBN 978-0-307-59293-4
See also 
- Misha Glenny "My family values", The Guardian, 28 February 2009
- McMafia: Crime Without Frontiers, The Bodley Head, London, 2008.Accessed 04-24-2008.
- Raw Opium webpage, Kensington Communications website, n.d. Retrieved 2011-11-09.
- Speaker bio: Misha Glenny, Govcert.nl, Ministry of Security and Justice (Netherlands) website, nd. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Misha Glenny on his book 'DarkMarket:..." (20 m.), Charlie Rose interview, October 26, 2011. Video available; no transcript; details from viewing. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Misha Glenny on Charlie Rose
- Misha Glenny at TED
- Misha Glenny at the Internet Movie Database
- Article archive at New York Review of Books
- Article archive at openDemocracy
- Articles in London Review of Books
- Misha's page, Conville and Walsh literary agency
- Misha's page, Hire Intelligence Speakers
- McMafia reviewed - Salon.com
- Guardian articles by Misha Glenny