Front of the theater
|Address||1208 12th Avenue|
|Designation||National Register of Historic Places|
|Owned by||Blair County Arts Foundation|
|Opened||February 15, 1906|
|Years active||1906 – present|
|Location||1208 12th Ave., Altoona, Pennsylvania|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Beaux Arts|
|NRHP Reference #||73001592|
|Added to NRHP||April 11, 1973|
The Mishler Theatre is a Beaux-Arts stage and movie theater located at 1208 Twelfth Avenue in Altoona, Pennsylvania. It was designed by Albert E. Westover and built by local theatre owner and manager Isaac Charles Mishler and opened on February 15, 1906. Nine months later, the neighboring Rothert building caught fire, which quickly spread to the theater, destroying the interior. The theater was rebuilt and re-opened in 1907.
After disuse in the mid-20th century, the theatre was considered for demolition in 1965. In response, the Altoona Community Theatre and the Blair County Arts Foundation purchased it and began renovation. The theatre reopened in 1969 for a performance of The Sound of Music.
Early renovation included replacement of the seats and the lobby's chandelier, the new one purchased in 1970 at a Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer auction. Major structural, plumbing, and electrical work began in the early 1990s. At the most recent estimate, the restoration has cost approximately 1.8 million dollars.
The theater hosts four productions as well as several children's shows per year, performed by the local theater troupe.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "Marker Details: Charles Mishler", ExplorePAHistory.com.
- ""National Historic Landmarks & National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania"" (Searchable database). CRGIS: Cultural Resources Geographic Information System. Note: This includes Eleanore H. Steckman and William K. Watson (August 1972). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: Mishler Theatre" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "A Brief History", the Altoona Community Theatre.
- BCAF's photo gallery of the Mishler Theatre.
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. PA-5512, "Mishler Theatre, 1208 Twelfth Avenue, Altoona, Blair County, PA", 2 photos, 7 data pages, 1 photo caption page
|This article about a specific theatre building is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|