||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (November 2013)|
Lady Mishil of Silla (미실, 美室; c. 546/548 - c. 612) is a disputed historical figure of the Korean dynasty of Silla. Though it was not mentioned in the Samguk Sagi or Samguk Yusa, she was a very important figure in the transcription of the Hwarang Segi. She was mistress to three of Silla's Kings and was a high-ranking official in her own right.
According to the Hwarang Segi, Mishil was the daughter of Lord Mijinbu. Her paternal grandmother was Princess Samyeop, daughter of King Beopheung. Her mother was the Lady Myodo, sister of Queen Mother Sado (consort of King Jinheung). With these relations, Mishil gained the qualification of being a jingol (眞骨 진골, a noble within the bone rank system).
She became powerful through her relations with the kings of Silla and various Pungwoljus (senior Hwarangs). She was the wife of Lord Sejong (the 6th Pungwolju), the lover of General Seolwon (the 7th Pungwolju), and the older sister of Lord Misaeng (the 10th Pungwolju). Her sons became the 11th and 16th Pungwoljus, Bojong (through Seolwon) and Hajong (through Sejong) respectively.
Lady Mishil demonstrated her tremendous power and influence when she persuaded various nobles to remove King Jinji from the throne and install his nephew in his place. Her claim was that he had stolen the throne from King Jinheung's true chosen successor, Prince Baek-Jeong (later King Jinpyeong), the son of Jinheung's eldest son, Dongryeon. Ironically, Jinji's own grandson, Kim Chunchu, would later succeed to the throne as King Muyeol.
In Popular Culture
In the 2009 hit drama series "The Great Queen Seondeok", Ko Hyun Jung portrayed Lady Mishil, a ruthless, charismatic political mastermind. She was depicted as one of the most influential people in the Kingdom of Silla, functioning as Keeper of the Royal Seal (璽主 새주, Seju), Beholder and Controller of The Military, and a "Wonhwa" (leader of the Hwarang Corps). Ko received near-universal acclaim for her role.
|Ancestors of Mishil|
- For the lineage from Mishil's parents upwards, refer to the ancestry chart above
- Younger Brother: Misaeng Rang (美生郞 미생랑), 10th Pungwolju
- Husbands and Lovers, and their Respective Issue:
- Lord Sejong (世宗公 세종공, ?-588), 6th Pungwolju (561-568, 572)
- Lord Hajong (夏宗公 하종공, 564-?), 1st son, 11th Pungwolju (588-591)
- Lord Okjong (玉宗公 옥종공), 2nd son by Lord Sejong
- Lord Sadaham (斯多含公 사다함공, 546-561), 5th Pungwolju (562-564) - No issue.
- Seolwon Rang (薛原郞 설원랑, 549-606), 7th Pungwolju (572-579)
- Lord Bojong (寶宗公 보종공, 580-621), Only son, 16th Pungwolju (616-621)
- King Jinheung (眞興王 진흥왕), 24th King of Silla
- Prince Sujong (壽宗殿君 수종전군), Only son
- Princess Banya (般若公主 반야공주), 1st daughter
- Princess Nanya (蘭若公主 난야공주), 2nd daughter
- Crown Prince Dongryun (銅輪太子 동륜태자, ?-572), son of King Jinheung
- Princess Aesong (艾松公主 애송공주), Only daughter
- King Jinji (眞智王 진지왕), 25th King of Silla - No issue.
- King Jinpyeong (眞平王 진평왕), 26th King of Silla
- Princess Bohwa (寶華公主 보화공주), Only daughter
- His other name is Noribu (弩里夫 노리부); variations including Nojong (奴宗 노종), Nobu (奴夫 노부), Naebu (內夫 내부), and Naeryebu (內禮夫 내례부)
- The official husband of Mishil.
- One of the sons of Empress Dowager Jiso (지소태후).