Miss Austen Regrets
|Miss Austen Regrets|
|Directed by||Jeremy Lovering|
|Produced by||Anne Pivcevic
|Written by||Gwyneth Hughes|
|Music by||Jennie Muskett|
|Editing by||Luke Dunkley|
|Original channel||BBC 1
|Running time||90 minutes|
Miss Austen Regrets is a 2007 BBC drama film directed by Jeremy Lovering and written by Gwyneth Hughes. It stars Olivia Williams as Jane Austen, with Imogen Poots, Greta Scacchi, Hugh Bonneville, Adrian Edmondson and Jack Huston. It was first aired on 21 August 2007 in the U.K. and on 3 February 2008 in the U.S. by PBS Masterpiece drama anthology television series as part of "The Complete Jane Austen", the United States version of The Jane Austen Season.
Based on the surviving letters from Jane Austen to her sister Cassandra, and her young niece Fanny. In the unknowingly last few years of Jane's life, with her 40th birthday coming up, she is asked by her niece Fanny (Poots) to go over what makes a good potential husband. Jane recalls when she was 27, a rich neighboring landowner, Harris Bigg-Wither (Roukin), proposed to her which she accepted. But after a long night of soul searching, Jane turned him down the next day which caused her and her family to live in genteel poverty, something her mother never let her forget. Jane confirms that that was the circumstance that put her off to the idea of marriage. Although she never married, she remembers the one who got away, Reverend Brook Bridges (Bonneville) who couldn't wait any longer for Jane and ended up marrying someone else. Jane's aversion to marriage subsequently talks Fanny out of furthering her relationship with John Plumptre (Hiddleston) which then causes him to marry someone else. With Fanny being upset with Jane, Jane decides to tell Fanny of her lost love to get her to better understand that she knows what Fanny's going through.
- Olivia Williams as Jane Austen
- Imogen Poots as Fanny Austen Knight
- Greta Scacchi as Cassandra Austen
- Hugh Bonneville as Rev. Brook Bridges
- Adrian Edmondson as Henry Austen
- Jack Huston as Charles Haden
- Phyllida Law as Mrs. Austen
- Pip Torrens as Edward Austen-Knight
- Sylvie Herbert as Madame Bigeon
- Tom Hiddleston as John Plumptre
- Sally Tatum as Anna Lefroy
- Jason Watkins as Rev. Clarke
- "Miss Austen Regrets Credits". NY Times. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "BBC - Drama - Miss Austen Regrets". BBC. 27 April 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Revealing the romance behind Jane Austen". BBC. 21 August2007. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Boyle, Laura (18 July 2011). "Miss Austen Regrets: An "Imagined" Biography". JaneAusten.co.uk. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Miss Austen Regrets: How Jane lost her own Darcy". The Independent. 16 April 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2013.