Miss California Teen USA
The Miss California Teen USA competition is the pageant that selects the representative for the state of California in the Miss Teen USA pageant. This pageant is part of the Miss Universe Organization, owned by Donald Trump.
The most successful Miss California Teen USA was Shauna Gambill, who won the Miss Teen USA crown in 1994. She later became the only Californian teen to cross over to the Miss California USA crown. At Miss USA 1998, Gambill placed first-runner up to Shawnae Jebbia of Massachusetts, in what is widely considered to be one of the closest and most controversial decisions in recent years. She was later named Miss World USA 1998 and was a semi-finalist at the 1998 Miss World pageant.
Recently, Cassidy Wolf became the second Miss Teen USA from the state of California, when she won the Miss Teen USA 2013 pageant on August 10, 2013 in the Bahamas.
In the 1980s, the pageant was directed by Richard Guy and Rex Holt, who also oversaw the Miss California USA, Miss Texas USA and Miss Texas Teen USA pageants. They lost the contract in 1990, when it came up for renewal. The pageant was later directed by Carolee Munger, K2 Productions and is currently directed by Top 10 Productions, Inc. At the beginning K2 Productions was directed by former Miss Teen USA 1995 Keylee Sue Sanders and Keith Lewis. Top 10 Productions, Inc. is led by Pam Wilson and Alex Kuty who have been heavily involved with pageant for many years. During the Munger era, the pageant was held in Fresno in early September, but after K2 Productions took over the state the 2006 pageant was staged in Palm Springs and the 2007 event in San Rafael.
The Miss California Teen USA system used to run various official local pageants that fed into the state pageant, but these were later replaced by unofficial local events. Local pageant winners compete alongside at-large delegates at the state events.
In recent years, Miss California Teen USA titleholders have been invited to red-carpet movie premieres, such as that for Santa Clause 3 attended by Kylee Lin, and She's the Man, attended by Jessica Powell.
- Miss Teen USAs: Shauna Gambill (1994), Cassidy Wolf (2013)
- First runners-up: Jennifer Morgan (2002)
- Second runners-up: Michelle Cardamon (1996), Chelsea Gilligan (2009), Emma Baker (2010), Alexis Swanstrom (2011)
- Fourth runners-up: Stephanie Brink (2005)
- Top 6: Natasha Allas (1992)
- Top 10: Shawn Gardner (1983), Angi Aylor (1987), Casey McClain (2001)
- Top 12: Trisha Robey (1990), Kellie Foster-Moore (1995)
- Top 15: Taylor Atkins (2008)
- Best State Costume: Alison Moreno (1988)
- Miss Photogenic: Angi Aylor (1987)
- Best in Swimsuit: Natasha Allas (1992), Shauna Gambill (1994)
|Year||Name||Hometown||Age1||Placement at Miss Teen USA||Special awards at Miss Teen USA||Notes|
|2014||Bianca Vierra||Brea||18||Previously Miss Teenage California 2011; previously Miss High School America 2012|
|2013||Chloe Hatfield||Norco||18||Did not compete||1st runner-up at Miss California Teen USA 2013; succeeded Cassidy Wolf when Wolf won Miss Teen USA 2013|
|Cassidy Wolf||Temecula||18||Miss Teen USA 2013|
|2011||Alexis Swanstrom||San Diego||17||2nd runner-up||3rd runner-up at Miss California USA 2014|
|2010||Emma Baker||Poway||18||2nd runner-up|
|2009||Chelsea Gilligan||Beaumont||18||2nd runner-up|
|2008||Taylor Atkins||Piru||17||Top 15|
|2007||Kylee Lin||San Rafael||16|
|2005||Stephanie Brink||Bellflower||18||4th runner-up|
|2004||Stacey Beltran||Oxnard||18||Miss California Teen International 2005|
|2002||Jennifer Morgan||Alpine||17||1st runner-up|
|2001||Casey McClain||San Marcos||18||Semi-finalist|
|1999||Marianne Kennedy||Long Beach||17|
|1997||Kimberly Gloudemans||Bakersfield||16||1st runner-up to National Sweetheart 2001|
|1996||Michelle Cardamon||San Diego||18||2nd runner-up|
|1994||Shauna Gambill||Acton||Winner||Later Miss California USA 1998, 1st runner up at Miss USA 1998
Represented the United States at Miss World 1998 (Top 10).
|1993||Stefanie Sweeney||El Dorado Hills|
|1992||Natasha Allas||Los Angeles||18||Finalist||Later Miss World USA 1999, semi-finalist at Miss World 1999|
|1991||Jolene Fulkner||Yorba Linda||14||Youngest ever Miss California Teen USA|
|1988||Alison Moreno||El Toro||Best State Costume||Disqualified from competing at the national pageant after she left her room without a chaperone, contrary to pageant rules.|
|1987||Angi Aylor||El Toro||14||Semi-finalist (6th)||Miss Photogenic (tie)||2nd runner up in Miss World USA 1994|
|1984||Jodie Alvarez||San Pedro|
|1983||Shawn Gardner||Modesto||17||Semi-finalist||Placed 1st runner-up in state pageant, assumed title when winner resigned title to get married.|
|Teresa St. Nicholas||Monterey||Resigned|
1 Age at the time of the Miss Teen USA pageant
- McBride, Jennifer (2005-11-02). "Life is more than pageants for Miss LG Teen". Los Gatos Weekly Times. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Woodbury, Richard (1990-03-05). "Profits In Poise and Pulchritude". Time Magazine. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "Palm Springs Most Famous Resort is Now the Most Beautiful" (Press release). Riviera Resort. 2005-09-04. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Tompson, Renee (2000-09-01). "County women hope to smile way to victories". CNN. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- "World Premiere THE SANTA CLAUSE 3: THE ESCAPE CLAUSE Sunday, October 29 at The El Capitan Theater" (Press release). Walt Disney Pictures. Retrieved 2007-01-26.
- Wireimage.com photo gallery. Retrieved 2007-01-26
- Sheshadri, Triveni (2001-08-12). "Beauty queen going for Miss Teen USA crown". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- "Fullerton Fast Facts / In the Know". Fullerton News Tribune. 1997-09-04. p. 03.
- Smith, Sharon (1994-04-04). "Highland Valedictorian wins Miss California Teen USA". Los Angeles Daily News. p. SC2.
- "Natasha Allas - Reigning Miss World USA - Available for Interviews at Republican Convention" (Press release). PR Newswire. 2000-07-31.
- Gaede, Susan (1991-05-23). "Yorba Linda teen is pride of California". The Orange County Register. p. 04.
- Grimaldi, James (1988-05-27). "Teen barred from pageant seen without chaperone // `She left her hallway, was reported missing'". The Orange County Register. p. A03.
- Heffernan, Lillian (1987-05-12). "Beauty is hard work // Angi Aylor is on the runway to success after taking time off from contests". The Orange County Register. p. 03.
- Heffernan, Lillian (1987-07-23). "Teen beauty queen from El Toro places sixth in national contest". The Orange County Register. p. 13.
- Williams, Walt (1983-07-19). "Modestan Dons Miss Teen Crown". The Modesto Bee.