Diane Brewster as Miss Canfield.
|First appearance||"Beaver Gets 'Spelled"|
|Last appearance||"Beaver and Poncho"|
|Created by||Bob Mosher
|Portrayed by||Diane Brewster|
The character appeared in four first season episodes. Brewster then left the series without explanation. Sue Randall stepped in to play Beaver's teacher, Alice Landers, over the following seasons.
Miss Canfield's portrayer Diane Brewster also appeared in the show's pilot "It's a Small World" as Miss Simms, a secretary at the Franklin Milk Company.
Miss Canfield is a young and attractive, no-nonsense schoolteacher who is leading a second grade class for the first time at Grant Avenue Grammar School when the show debuts in 1957. She has a good relationship with her students and her colleague, Mrs. Rayburn.
In the premiere episode, Miss Canfield sends a note home with Beaver, who believes he is going to be expelled. He is relieved when to discover the note contains only a request to have him play Smokey Bear in a school pageant. In another episode, Beaver develops a crush on Miss Canfield, and, at the urging of his classmates, puts a spring snake in her desk to prove he's not a teacher's pet. In "Part-Time Genius", Miss Canfield tells the Cleavers that Beaver's IQ test results indicate he's a genius. It proves to be a false alarm, however. In her last appearance, Miss Canfield discovers a dog hidden inside Beaver's jacket.
Miss Canfield was a warm and attractive character, a patient and understanding teacher. Her first name is never revealed on the show.
- "Beaver and Poncho" (1958)
- "Part-Time Genius" (1958)
- "Beaver's Crush" (1957)
- "Beaver Gets 'Spelled'" (1957, as Diana Brewster)
- "It's a Small World" (pilot, 1957): Brewster appeared as a secretary, Miss Simms.
- Applebaum, Irwyn. The World According to Beaver. TV Books, 1984, 1998. (ISBN 1575000520).
- Bank, Frank. Call Me Lumpy: my Leave It To Beaver days and other wild Hollywood life . Addax, 2002. (ISBN 1886110298), (ISBN 978-1886110298).
- Colella, Jennifer. The Leave It to Beaver Guide to Life: wholesome wisdom from the Cleavers! Running Press, 2006. (ISBN 0762427736), (ISBN 9780762427734).
- Leave It to Beaver: the complete first season. Universal Studios, 2005.
- Leave It to Beaver: the complete second season. Universal Studios, 2006. (ISBN 1417074876)
- Mathers, Jerry. ...And Jerry Mather as "The Beaver". Berkley Boulevard Books, 1998. (ISBN 0425163709)
|This article about a television comedy character is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|