Miss Earth 2006
|Miss Earth 2006|
Miss Earth 2006 and her court (Fire, Earth, Air and Water)
|Date||November 26, 2006|
|Presenters||Ariel Ureta and Priscilla Meirelles|
|Venue||National Museum, Manila|
|Broadcaster||ABS-CBN, The Filipino Channel, Star World|
|Debuts||Botswana, Cayman Islands, Curacao, England, Georgia, Guadeloupe, Ireland, Liberia, Lithuania, Tibet, Wales|
|Withdraws||Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cameroon, Colombia, Hong Kong, Hungary, Israel, Jamaica, Latvia, Macau, Mauritius, Mongolia, Niue, Portugal, Tokelau, United Kingdom, Zambia|
|Returns||Albania, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Greece, Guatemala, Italy, Spain, Switzerland|
|Congeniality||Maria Lucia Leo
|Best National Costume||Mililani Vienna Tofa
|Photogenic||Riza Raquel Santos
Miss Earth 2006, the 6th edition of Miss Earth beauty pageant, took place on November 26, 2006 in the grounds of the National Museum in Manila, Philippines. The pageant was won by Hil Hernández of Chile.
The event was originally intended to be held in Santiago, Chile on November 15, but the Chilean organizers did not meet requirements. In the end, pageant owners Carousel Productions decided to hold the pageant in the Philippines, where all previous Miss Earth pageants had been held, despite having less than two months to prepare for the event.
On November 24 a number of delegates participated in the Philippine version of Deal or No Deal, acting as suitcase models during the game. This followed an episode of the US game show, where 26 Miss USA 2006 contestant acted as suitcase models.
|Miss Earth 2006|
|Miss Earth - Air 2006||
|Miss Earth - Water 2006|
|Miss Earth - Fire 2006||
- Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Korea, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Russia, Serbia & Montenegro, and Tanzania made to the semi-finals last year but not in this year's edition (Miss Earth 2006).
- Bosnia & Herzegovina, Chile, Czech Republic, Philippines, Poland, USA, and Venezuela made to the semi-finals last year and also in this year's edition (Miss Earth 2006).
|Miss Photogenic||Canada - Riza Raquel Santos|
|Best National Costume||Samoa - Mililani Vienna Tofa|
|Miss Friendship||Italy - Maria Lucia Leo|
|Miss Talent||People's Republic of China - Zhou Mengting|
|Best in Swimsuit||Venezuela - Marianne Puglia|
|Best in Long Gown||India - Amruta Patki|
Final Question in Miss Earth 2006: "What effort must the country’s government exert to stop global warming?"
Answer of Miss Earth 2006: "We have to educate the people on global warming. We should help them to control pollution, create global consciousness. Bigger industries are involved here. You run the economy, now it is your turn to take care of Mother Earth". - Hil Hernández, represented Chile
The following is the list of the board of judges in this year's Miss Earth:
|1||Abbygale Arenas||Beauty Queen, Top Fashion Model, Personality/Image Consultant|
|2||Catherine Constantinides||Environmentalist and TV host of a Lifestyle (TV channel) show in South Africa|
|3||Tweety de Leon||Top Fashion Model|
|4||Justine Gabionza||International Beauty Queen|
|5||Michel Adam Lisowski||Founder & Chairman of Fashion TV|
|6||Warner Manning||Environmentalist, Chief Executive of Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation|
|7||Andrea Mastellone||General Manager, Traders Hotel Manila|
|8||Jose Ramon Olives||Journalist, Senior Vice President of ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation|
|9||Dorian Peña||Professional basketball player for the San Miguel Brewery|
|10||Ricky Reyes||Beauty Expert-Cum-Philanthropist|
|11||Tatsuhiko Takahasi||Philanthropist, President of Richmonde Hotel|
|12||Lee Chul Woo||Korean Air Regional Manager for the Philippines|
List of countries and delegates that participated in Miss Earth 2006:
The delegates were divided into three groups which simultaneously competed in the swimsuit preliminary competition in three different locations: Trace Aquatic Sports Complex in Los Baños, Laguna, Golden Sunset Resort in Calatagan, Batangas and in Coron, Palawan. The competition was held on November 12, 2006.
The finalists from the Laguna group were: Jessica Anne Jordan (Bolivia), Francys Sudnicka (Poland), Patra Rungratansunthorn (Thailand), Amanda Pennekamp (United States), Marianne Puglia (Venezuela)
The finalists from the Batangas group were: Ana Quinot (Brazil), Riza Santos (Canada), Anne-Charlotte Triplet (France), Paloma Navarro (Paraguay), Richa Adhia (Tanzania)
Rounding off the top 15 finalists were the finalists who were selected from the third group in Coron, Palawan: Catherine Gregg (Guatemala), Catherine Untalan (Philippines), Cathy Daniel (St. Lucia), Raimata Agnieray (Tahiti), Karina Kharchynska (Ukraine).
The 15 finalists then competed in the Final Swimsuit Competition, held on November 18 at the Fontana Leisure Park in Clark Field, Pampanga. From the 15 finalists, Marianne Puglia of Venezuela was chosen as Best in Swimsuit.
The 2006 talent competition was held on November 22 at the Teatro Marikina, Marikina City. 15 of the delegates, chosen in a preliminary competition days before, performed their talents in front of the judges and audience. The semi-finalists were Riza Raquel Santos (Canada), Zhou Mei Ting (China), Kristal Sprock (Curaçao), Nicoline Qvortrup (Denmark), Maria Stahl (Ecuador), Anne-Charlotte Triplet (France), Yelena Setiabudi (Indonesia), Sharon Amador (Nicaragua), Paloma Navarro (Paraguay), Catherine Untalan (Philippines), Nicoleta Motei (Romania), Raimata Agnieray (Tahiti), Tsering Chungtak (Tibet), Nicquell Garland (Turks and Caicos), and Vu Nguyen Ha Anh (Vietnam). The winner of the competition was Zhou Mei Ting of China.
Notes: England and Wales are technically new as they were represented in the previous years as Great Britain or United Kingdom.
Returning countries and territories
|2004||Albania, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Switzerland|
- Miss Earth France, Anne-Charlotte Triplet, would later be Miss Francophonie Internationale 2007.
- Ethiopia, Ireland, Poland, and Slovak Republic competed in the 2006 Miss Universe Pageant in July 2006. In that pageant, Dina Fekadu of Ethiopia was one of 20 semifinalists.
- Stefanie De Roux of Panama competed in Miss Universe 2003 where she placed in the top 15.
- Meriam George represented Egypt at the Miss Universe 2005 pageant.
- Guadeloupe's Caroline Virgile Bevis was a delegate at Miss World 2006.
- Laura Livesy (Wales) and Lesly Kristoff (Honduras) were delegates in the Miss Asia Pacific International pageant in 2005.
- Cécilia Harbo Kristensen represented Sweden at Miss Scandinavia 2004, Miss International 2005, Miss Europe 2006 and Miss Tourism Queen International 2007 pageants. She was also a semi-finalist at the Swedish selection for the Miss World 2004 contest.
- Jessica Jordan (Bolivia) competed in Miss Universe 2007 she was unplaced. She would go on and win Miss Reina Internacional del Cafe 2008/Miss International Queen of Coffee 2008 in Colombia.
- Amanda Pennekamp (USA) was 1st runner up in Miss USA 2004.
- Francys Sudnicka (Poland) won Miss Tourism World 2000 representing Venezuela and also competed at the Miss Universe 2006, but she was unplaced.
- Thailand's Pailin Rungratanasunthor competed at Amazing Race Asia 3 alongside Miss Universe 2005 Natalie Glebova.
- Riza Santos (Canada) joined the Pinoy Big Brother Celebrity Edition 2 on October 14, 2007 and eventually won as first runner up. She competed at the Miss World 2011 in London, UK last November 6, 2011. She will competing at the Miss Universe 2013 in Moscow, Russia on November 2013.
- Lebanon's Nahed Al-Saghir died on April 16, 2011, of complications from a severe kidney infection.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miss Earth 2006 contestants.|
- Miss Earth official website
- Miss Earth Foundation
- Miss Earth Foundation Kids' I Love My Planet
- 2006 Miss Earth Press Presentation Fan Page
- "Pageantopolis: Miss Earth 2006". Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Palmero, Paul (2005-06-18). "Pageant History". Pageant Almanac. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Yazon, Giovanni Paolo J. (2006-05-20). "Miss Philippines Earth 2006: Height is might". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Miss Chile, Hil Yesenia Hernandez Escobar, Crowned Miss Earth 2006". Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Newsline: Road to Miss Earth 2006". Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Miss Earth 2006: Hil Yesenia Hernandez Escobar". Archived from the original on 2008-03-11. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Yazon, Giovanni Paolo J. (2006-11-30). "Chile’s charmer wins Miss Earth crown". Manila Standard Today. Retrieved 2008-12-27.
- Soul, John (2006-11-26). "Miss Earth 2006". Woman of the Earth News. Retrieved 2009-12-27.