Miss Earth Foundation
Miss Earth Foundation is a non-stock, non-profit organization, which serves as the environmental-social-humanitarian outreach arm of Miss Earth beauty pageant. It was established to institutionalize the environmental mission of Miss Earth. The Miss Earth grand winner travels and works worldwide as spokesperson for the Miss Earth Foundation, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and other environmental groups.
Carousel Productions Inc. formed the Miss Earth Foundation in 2004 to work with the local and international groups and non-governmental organizations that are actively involved in environmental causes. Its campaign focuses in educating the youth in environmental awareness. Its major project “I Love Planet Earth” School Tour, teaches, distribute educational aides for school children as well as “I Will Heal the Earth” Pledge, an environmental check leaflets to remind every individual on eco-responsibility.
In December 2007, Miss Earth Foundation took part in the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Bali. Miss Earth 2007 Jessica Trisko, Miss Earth 2004 Priscilla Meirelles and Miss Earth Water 2006 Catherine Untalan participated the event from December 5–15 and also took part in various activities like school tours, eco-tourism adventures and environmental orientations. In addition, a "Miss Earth Village", an exhibition booth was put up to showcase the advocacies of the Miss Earth Foundation. The Conference, hosted by the Government of Indonesia, took place at the Bali International Convention Centre and brought together representatives of over 180 countries together with observers from intergovernmental and nongovernmental organizations, and the media. The two-week period included the sessions of the Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC, its subsidiary bodies as well as the Meeting of the Parties of the Kyoto Protocol.
Miss Earth Foundation aims to increase the level of awareness on the current environmental issues and what action can be done through power of broadcasting and other media campaigns locally, nationally and globally. It organizes campaign and promote projects for Miss Earth winners, as well as candidates, and its counterpart Miss Philippines Earth to be able to reach out to the masses and encourage them to be responsible in caring and preserving the environment locally, nationally and globally (such as organizing forums and symposiums). Through projects, it helps build ties among communities and teach the people the value of appreciation towards nature and quality of life.
The United Nations Environment Programme established Champions of the Earth in 2004 as an annual awards programme to recognize outstanding environmental leaders at a policy level. In 2006, the Miss Earth Foundation began to co-host the event, which usually held in Singapore. Mr. Eric Falt, UNEP Director of Communications and Public Information, and Miss Alexandra Braun Waldeck of Venezuela Miss Earth 2005, hosted the Champions of the Earth 2006 gala dinner.
Miss Earth Foundation works closely with the following local and international environmental affiliates in promoting environmental awareness and management:
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Asia Pacific Resources International Holdings Limited (APRIL)
- Eco 4 The World E4W
- United States Department of Energy (USDE)
- Singapore Environmental Council (SEC)
- Environment Online (ENO)
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR Philippines)
- ABS-CBN Foundation Bantay Kalikasan
- Sustainable Energy Development Program (SEDP)
- Klima (Clinate Change Center)
- Mother Earth Foundation (MEF)
- Department of Education (Philippines)(DepEd Philippines)
- Center for Environmental Awareness and Education (CEAE)
- Eco Waste Coalition (EWC)
- Official Miss Earth website
- Miss Earth Foundation website
- Miss Earth Foundation archive
- Miss Earth Foundation Kids website
- The Great Warming - Call To Action - Miss Earth Foundation
- Miss Earth Foundation | About Us
- The Manila Times Internet Edition | LIFE & TIMES > Miss Earth in the “City of the Gods”
- Garcia, Ma. Leonila (2008-09-25). "Beauty queens promise to clean up sick planet". Manila Times. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) - Champions of the Earth
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) - Error page
- Press Releases April 2007–2007 UNEP Champions of the Earth Awards Make Big Splash at Gala Ceremony in Singapore - United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- MISS EARTH 2007 | Press Release
- Press Releases January 2008 - Climate Change Links 2008 Champions of the Earth Award Winners - United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)