Miss Kansas Teen USA
The Miss Kansas Teen USA competition is the pageant that selects the representative for the state of Kansas in the Miss Teen USA pageant. This pageant has been part of the Vanbros organisation since 1992, and in 2006, they celebrated their fifteen-year anniversary with a reunion of former titleholders at the 2007 pageant. For the first time, all the judges for both the Miss Kansas USA and Miss Kansas Teen USA pageants were former titleholders from the Vanbros states: Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Nebraska.
Prior to 1994, the pageant was held concurrently with the Miss Kansas USA event, which was hosted by Kansas City. In 1994, the pageant was moved to Wichita. In 2000, the pageant directors moved the event to the small town of Maize, just outside Wichita, where it was also held the following year, before it was brought back to Wichita proper from 2002-2003. The pageant was held in Overland Park for the first time in 2004 and also in 2005. In 2006, it moved to Lawrence.
Kansas had a slow start at Miss Teen USA, and did not place until 1991. Despite this, they placed extremely well in the 1990s, with one semi-finalist placing, one finalist placing, two 2nd runner-up placings and one winner, and were in fact the second highest placed state in that decade . Latasha Laine Lawrie brought Kansas back into the placings in the 21st century with her finalist placing in 2005. She also won the Miss Photogenic award, the only major award won by a Kansas teen.
Three Kansas teens have gone on to win the Miss Kansas USA crown. The most successful, and most notable of these was Danielle Boatwright, who placed 2nd runner-up to Miss Teen USA, 1st runner-up to Miss USA and won the reality TV show Survivor: Guatemala.
- Winners: Keylee Sue Sanders (1995)
- Second runners-up: Danielle Boatwright (1992), Melissa Hurtig (1994)
- Third runners-up: Taylor Clark (2011)
- Top 6: Mariah Bergmann (1997)
- Top 10: Latasha Lawrie (2005), Gentry Miller (2006), Jaymie Stokes (2007)
- Top 12: Denise Blatchford (1991)
- Top 16: Katie Taylor (2012), Alyssa Klinzing (2013)
1 Age at the time of the Miss Teen USA pageant
- "Miss Kansas USA moves to Maize" (Press release). Associated Press. 2000-09-04.
- Stanton, Loren (2010-01-06). "Pretty Sweet: Shawnee Mission East junior wins Miss Kansas Teen USA crown". Sun Publications.
- "Lawrence woman crowned Miss Kansas USA" (Press release). Associated Press. 2001-09-09.
- "Miss Kansas USA, Miss Kansas Teen USA chosen" (Press release). Associated Press. 2000-09-10.
- "CROWN TRICK Through the storm, pageant kept suspense alive". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 1992-08-28. p. D/12.
- "2004 Mrs America". Retrieved July 9, 2010.