Miss Philippines Earth 2008
|Miss Philippines Earth 2008|
Karla Paula Henry
Miss Philippines Earth 2008
|Date||11 May 2008|
|Presenters||Rafael Rosell, with Nikki Gil & Ginger Conejero|
|Venue||Crowne Plaza, Galleria|
|Broadcaster||ABS-CBN and The Filipino Channel|
|Winner||Karla Paula Henry
Miss Philippines Earth 2008, the 8th edition of Miss Philippines Earth pageant, was held last May 11, 2008 at Crowne Plaza Galleria, Ortigas Center, Manila, Philippines. The event was broadcast by ABS CBN Network in the Philippines at 10 'o clock in the evening and The Filipino Channel internationally. The pageant was hosted by Rafael Rosell together with Nikki Gil and Ginger Conejero.
Forty- one delegates competed for the title, held by Jeanne Angeles Harn of the National Capital Region. At the conclusion of the final night of competition, Karla Paula Henry of Cebu was crowned Miss Philippines Earth in the eight edition of the environmentally-conscious beauty pageant.
Marie Razel Eguia of Dipolog, won the Miss Philippines Earth Air 2008 and competed in Miss Tourism Queen International 2009 in China. Marian Michelle Oblea of Obando became the Miss Philippines Earth Water. Ma. Kristelle Lazaro of Candaba got the title of Miss Philippines Earth Fire and Maria Venus Raj won the Miss Philippines Eco Tourism title.
|Miss Philippines Earth 2008|
|Miss Philippines Air|
|Miss Philippines Water|
|Miss Philippines Fire|
|Miss Philippines Eco Tourism|
|The Top 10 Semi Finalists (in order of announcement)||
|Miss PAGCOR International Tourism Ambassadress||
There are forty-one official contestants for Miss Philippines Earth 2008.
|Delegate #||Contestant||Age||Represented||Environmental Message|
|1||Beatriz Celindro||18||Antipolo||"Walk or ride a bike when going to near places. Be sensible and practical."|
|2||Angelique Robles||20||Bacolod||"Campaign against illegal loggers and plant trees to replace the trees lost."|
|3||Joanna Cindy Miranda||18||Baguio||"Create forum and student interaction on environmental projects."|
|4||Rina De Mesa||20||Balayan||"Environmental solution should be reinforced by both government and private group. Let’s be more responsible."|
|5||Reena Calingasan||21||Batangas||"Reduce the use of plastic and rubber to help minimize overflowing of waste materials."|
|6||Joanna Rumohr||21||Bulacan||"Let us motivate the young generation with fun games on environmental awareness."|
|7||Vanessa Udarbe||-||Caloocan||"Forest destruction endangers life. Let us preserve the trees and make our forest rich once again."|
|8||Ma. Kristelle Lazaro||22||Candaba||"First solution to environmental problems is discipline in ourselves. Keep our area clean all the time."|
|9||Karla Paula Henry||21||Cebu||"Be wise enough to use eco-friendly products, appliances and even vehicles to improve quality of our atmosphere."|
|10||Marie Razel Eguia||20||Dipolog||"Teach young children to be eco-defenders through proper waste management."|
|11||Alexandra AlbertT1||19||France||"Regular maintenance of all vehicles are important to reduce air pollution."|
|12||Monika Elisa KonigT1||21||Germany||"Protect the remaining forest, animals, trees and plants as well as every human that depend on them."|
|13||Iris Michelle Dulawan||24||Ifugao||"Chemicals released by garbage are toxic. Please minimize your household garbage."|
|14||Diana Viray||20||Ilocos Sur||"Reforestation improves quality of land, life and property."|
|15||Katrina Cailipan||20||Imus||"Continue to plant trees to filter the air from harmful gases."|
|16||Jaydielou Dilidili||20||Indang||"Water used from washing dishes can be used to water your garden. Save our water supply."|
|17||Alma Ruby Santos||20||Ipil||"Let us have Tree Planting Day as often as we could to improve the quality of air we breathe."|
|18||Sherizza Galan||22||Irosin||"Reduce the impact of global warming by conserving electricity."|
|19||Cheryll Mae Maata||22||Kidapawan||"Aerosols can be regular household items but they endanger the air we breathe. Reduce its use if not avoid at all."|
|20||Maria Kristina Tabas||21||La Union||"Restore the natural habitat of the animals and more importantly the endangered species."|
|21||Maria Venus Raj||19||Legazpi||"Clear the pollution from the hearts and minds of every human and the earth will regain its health."|
|22||Joanne Mariel Sanchez||18||Lipa||"Organize environmental awareness program on every barangay."|
|23||Edfer Lyn Quintero||24||Malabon||"Learn what is happening to our environment and value life and all the natural resources."|
|24||Mhyrtle Frances Bugarin||22||Mandaluyong||"We are generating so much household waste. Start recycling."|
|25||Jose Marie Viceral||22||Manila||"Gays also have special skills in protecting Mother Earth and we can be able to preserve it for future generations."|
|26||Ma. Angelica Liboon||20||Marikina||"If we don’t solve the eco problems now, the future generation will in vain."|
|27||Yanica Lemoncito||20||Montalban||"Let us revive Green Revolution and create fun way of protecting Mother Earth."|
|28||Alexis Josef Abelardo||23||Muntinlupa||"With recycling, we would be able to lessen our carbon footprints."|
|29||Henry Dee Lorica||20||Naga City||"Plant trees as they give more benefits that could last for a long time."|
|30||Marian Michelle Oblea||21||Obando||"Let us do our share in protecting our environment by using alternative source of energy."|
|31||Pamela Sue Nieva||23||Pagbilao||"Create environmental ads that can move people to act on preserving our environment."|
|32||Gina Albou Ghobesh||24||Parañaque||"Every family should create fun environmental projects at home where their children can participate."|
|33||Winlove Dupit||19||Passi||"We need to educate ourselves on solid waste management before garbage cover up the land we live in."|
|34||Gizelle Jasmine Rivamonte||22||Quezon City||"Government should strengthen the environmental laws and every citizen should do their part in following them."|
|35||Mary Rose Sandig||18||Romblon||"Start from within and inspire others to do what is right for our environment."|
|36||Rhea Niones||22||South Cotabato||"Study and learn the benefits of renewable energy."|
|37||Grachel Arlene Navarro||22||Surigao del Norte||"Walk to exercise and minimize use of vehicles that pump out harmful gases in the air."|
|38||Ma. Victoria Salazar||23||Tacloban||“Create ads that will stop people from burning plastic, rubber and even garbage.”|
|39||Melanie FelixT1||23||East Coast||“Make a program on live greener and make environmentally-safe choices.”|
|40||Nikki MartinT1||21||West Coast||"By recycling and conserving energy and water we can help save Mother Earth."|
|41||Sharina Deriza||19||Zamboanga||"Stop using incandescent light bulb and use energy-saving compact bulbs."|
- ^Note T1 : The candidates represented the Filipino Community in that particular nation. They are all Filipino.
- Maha Al Shamisi, Filipino Community of UAE
- Shenna Maureen Cantillano, Cabuyao, Laguna
- Catherine Coquilla, Calamba, Laguna
Crossovers from Major Local Pageants prior to this date
- Joanna Rumohr, Miss Bulacan was Binibining Pilipinas 2005 candidate
- Ma. Kristelle Lazaro, Miss Candaba was Binibining Pilipinas 2008 candidate
- Karla Paula Henry, Miss Cebu was Binibining Pilipinas 2008 candidate
- Monika Elisa Konig, Miss Germany was Mutya ng Pilipinas 2006 candidate
- Edfer Lyn Quintero, Miss Malabon was Binibining Pilipinas 2007 Top 13 semifinalist
- Mhyrtle Frances Bugarin, Miss Mandaluyong was Binibining Pilipinas 2007 candidate
- Marian Michelle Oblea, Miss Obando was Mutya ng Pilipinas 2007 Top 15 semifinalist
- The 2008 edition was the first time that the candidates represented their hometowns since the pageant started in 2001. From 2001 to 2007, the contestants represented their regions.
- As of 2008, the 8th edition of Miss Philippines Earth has the most number of delegates in the Philippines pageants history.
- Ma. Kristelle Lazaro and Karla Henry competed at Binibining Pilipinas 2008 on March 8, 2008 where they were unplaced.
- Karla Henry also held other beauty pageant titles, such as Miss Cebu 2006 2nd Runner-Up, Miss Mandaue 2005 2nd Runner-Up, and Best in Costume (Venetian Masquerade theme) at the same pageant.
- Karla Henry is a top runway and print model in her hometown Cebu under AD Models Philippines - Homme et Femme.
- Edfer Lyn Quintero competed at Binibining Pilipinas 2007, where she was a finalist and won the Smart Texter's Choice Award. Mhyrtle Frances Bugarin also competed at Binibining Pilipinas 2007. Despite being favorites, Quintero and Bugarin failed to place in the Miss Philippines Earth 2008. Joanna Ruhmor competed at Binibining Pilipinas 2005 but was also unplaced.
- Filipino community from France and Germany sent their delegates for the first time.
- Maria Venus Raj competed at the Binibining Pilipinas 2010 title on March 6, 2010 where she won the Bb. Pilipinas-Universe title, but she was briefly replaced by second runner up Helen Nicolette Henson as the Philippines' representative to the Miss Universe 2010 pageant. This decision was later reversed on April 10, 2010, when the pageant organizers decided to allow Raj to reclaim her title pending her obtaining a valid Philippine passport. Recently she is 4th runner-up of Miss Universe 2010.
- Miss Philippines Earth 2008 Karla Paula Henry competed at Miss Earth 2008 in Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines on Nov 9th and became the eventual winner of Miss Earth 2008
- H.E. Gerard Chesnel, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Republic of the Philippines/ Embassy of France - Chairman of the Judges
- Mr. Kim Atienza, Multi Awarded Broadcaster, ABS CBN
- Ricky Reyes, Entrepreneur and Salon Chain Owner
- Anne Curtis, Actress and Commercial Model
- Gen. Manuel Roxas, PAGCOR Director
- Ms. Bridgitte Trattner, General Manager, Crowne Plaza Galleria
- Mr. Eric Pineda, Costume and Fashion Designer at De La Salle College
- Dr. Corazon PB. Claudio, President of Earth Institute Asia
- Mr. Hong Jin, Regional Manager of Korean Air
- Ms. Celine Clemente, President of Asian Gem
Follow the candidates preliminary activities
|April 1, 2008||Long Gown Competition||PAGCOR, Parañaque||Best in Long Gown is Candidate No. # 30 Obando- Marian Michelle Oblea|
|April 4 - May 2, 2008||Tigil Buga (Stop Emission) Rally||Robinsons Shopping Malls|
|April 21, 2008||Nestle Wellness||Nestle Cabuyao|
|April 25, 2008||Personality Development and Fashion For a Cause||Golden Sunset Resort|
|April 27, 2008||Briefing with Carousel Executives||Carousel Garden|
|April 29, 2008||Press Conference||Intercontinental Manila||41 official candidates were presented by Carousel Production to the press.|
|April 29, 2008||Cultural Attire Competition||Crowne Plaza Galleria||Candidates presented their Cultural Costumes|
|May 1, 2008||Talent Competition||Lakeshore Resort, Pampanga||Candidates showcased their talents.|
|May 4, 2008||Lil' Earth Angel 2008 Finals||Enchanted Kingdom|
|May 5, 2008||Swimsuit Competition||Thunderbird Resort - Rizal||Candidates revealed their sexy and shapeless bodies|
|May 6, 2008||Pre - Judging Event||Intercontinental Manila|
|May 2008||Barangay Tours|
2008 Lil' Earth Angels
Miss Lil' Earth Angels 2008 is the second edition of Miss Lil' Earth Angels pageant. The 2008 Lil' Earth Angels concluded on May 11, 2008 at Crowne Plaza Galleria, Ortigas Center, Manila, Philippines together with the Miss Philippines Earth 2008 pageant.
Ten finalists were selected based on their preliminary activities that was held at Robinsons Malls in the Philippines. At the end of the night, Miss Lil' Earth Angel 2007 Denisse Mikaela Abuan crowned her successor.
|Lil' Earth Angel||Joanna Mari Marcelo|
|Lil' Earth Angel-Air||Jazzmine Macdonal|
|Lil' Earth Angel-Water||Margaret Lipnitz|
|Lil' Earth Angel-Fire||Erica Rose Franco|
|Lil' Earth Angel-Eco Tourism||Princess Juvialle Zufianne Sabando|
|Finalists #||Contestants||Dates of being a finalist||Place|
|1||Joanna Marie Marcelo||April 4, 2008||Robinsons Place Manila|
|2||Margaret Lipnitz||April 5, 2008||Robinsons Place Imus|
|3||Hanna Pauline Somosot||April 9, 2008||Robinsons Galleria|
|4||Queenie Vivien Garces||April 11, 2008||Robinsons Place Dasmarinas|
|5||Tricia Cristobal||April 12, 2008||Robinsons Place Lipa|
|6||Jan Kayla Orozco||April 13, 2008||Robinsons Starmills Pampanga|
|7||Joanne Elinor Berioso||April 18, 2008||Robinsons Place Novaliches|
|8||Princess Juvialle Zufianne Sabando||April 19, 2008||Robinsons Place Sta. Rosa|
|9||Erica Rose Franco||April 20, 2008||Robinsons Place Angeles|
|10||Jazzmine Macdonal||May 2, 2008||Robinsons Metro East|
- Adina, Armin (2008-05-13). "Second time a charm for new Miss Earth". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- Jojo, DJ Mojo (2008-05-17). "Mother’s Day for Mother Earth". The Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2008-12-31.[dead link]
- Miss Philippines Earth 2008 Candidates
- Miss Philippines Earth 2008 Prelimiary Activities