Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends
||This article consists almost entirely of a plot summary. It should be expanded to provide more balanced coverage that includes real-world context. (December 2011)|
|Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends|
|Created by||Based on the Miss Spider books by David Kirk|
|Developed by||Nadine van der Velde|
Austin Di Lulio (first season)
Cameron Ansell (second season)
|Opening theme||"Be Good to Bugs"|
|Ending theme||"Be Good to Bugs" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||Canada
|Original language(s)||English, Spanish, Portuguese|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||92 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Michael Hirsh
|Producer(s)||Callaway Arts & Entertainment
|Location(s)||Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Running time||24 minutes (12 minutes per episode)|
|Original channel||Teletoon, Treehouse TV (Canada 2006-present)
Five Cartoonito (UK)
Nick Jr., Nickelodeon (U.S. 2008-2009), Nick Jr. (U.S. 2009-present)
|Original run||September 7, 2004– April 24, 2009|
Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends is a Canadian and American children's television series based on the children's books by David Kirk. The series airs on Nick Jr. in the United States, Treehouse TV in Canada, and on Discovery Kids in Brazil. It is also shown in syndication in other countries, depending on the area. Each episode follows the everyday adventures of a family of bugs, who have made their home in the "Hollow Tree", led by the gentle, kind-hearted Miss Spider.
The series is set in "Sunny Patch", populated by anthropomorphic bugs, and primarily centres around the family of Miss Spider and Holley, consisting of their spider children, Squirt, Wiggle, Spinner, Pansy, Snowdrop, and their adoptive children, Dragon, Shimmer and Bounce.
The episodes follow the children's adventures playing in Sunny Patch and learning life lessons, such as being kind to others, being imaginnative, having responsibility, and being curious about the world around them.
- Kristin Davis - Miss Spider
- Robert Smith[disambiguation needed] - Holley
- Scott Beaudin - Squirt
- Rebecca Brenner - Shimmer
- Mitchell Eisner - Dragon
- Julie Lemieux - Bounce
- Austin Di Iulio (Cameron Ansell in season 2) - Spinner
- Alexandra Lai - Snowdrop
- Aaryn Doyle - Pansy
- Marc McMulkin - Wiggle
- Miss Spider — voiced by Kristin Davis. Like three of her children, Miss Spider is an adoptee, adopted by Betty Beetle when she could not find her biological mother. Miss Spider tries to be a kind and caring mom and give equal time to all of her many children. She strongly believes that "We have to be good to bugs; all bugs."
- Squirt — voiced by Scott Beaudin. A curious and adventurous green spider, Squirt is considered to be the leader of the children and as such, more stories center around his character than any other. He enjoys surfing the air on his webs, dreams of flying like Shimmer or Dragon, and is often ready to take the lead in an adventure. Because of his impulsive and curious personality, he often needs the advice of his parents to help him with situations.
- Shimmer — voiced by Rebecca Brenner. A pink jewel beetle. She is one of Miss Spider and Holley's adoptive children.
- Dragon — voiced by Mitchell Eisner. A purple dragonfly and one of Miss Spider and Holley's adoptive children. Dragon was flying with his birth family and fell into the river. A waterbug rescued Dragon and introduced him to Holley and Miss Spider. Originally voiced by Barbara Weber Scaff.
- Bounce — voiced by Julie Lemieux. A blue bedbug and one of Miss Spider and Holley's adoptive children. He is a two-legged, high energy bug. Bounce lost his way when he wandered from home. He is the only bug character in the series to have teeth. He and Dragon are "best bug buddies".
- Holley — voiced by Robert Smith. He is Miss Spider's husband. Holley is a songwriter and loves to play his guitar. He has a special thinking stone where he makes decisions.
- Spinner — voiced by Austin Di Iulio (and Cameron Ansell in season 2). A yellow spider sporting very large eyeglasses, he looks almost exactly like his father, Holley. He is a smart and wise bug often looked to for advice. While he is not great at physical activities, he has a wonderful talent for the "bugpipes".
- Snowdrop — voiced by Alexandra Lai. A yellow spider and Pansy's twin. Her distinguishing feature is a green bow on her head. She has a beautiful singing voice.
- Pansy — voiced by Aaryn Doyle. A yellow spider and Snowdrop's twin. Her distinguishing feature is a pink bow on her head. She sings well, but not as naturally as Snowdrop.
- Wiggle — voiced by Marc McMulkin. A blue spider who tends to be the worrier of the group, and is quite emotional.
- Felix — a frog who was introduced in the three part special "A Froggy Day in Sunny Patch." Felix longed to be a bug himself and refuses to eat bugs, as he does not find them tasty. Instead, he eats only berries. Felix has formed a friendship with the Spider family children.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||19||September 7, 2004||July 21, 2006|
|2||25||March 13, 2006||June 19, 2007|
|3||25||September 3, 2007||April 7, 2008|
|4||25||December 15, 2008||April 24, 2009|
- Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends on Noggin
- Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends on Nick Jr. - For Parents
- Episode Guide on TV.com
- Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends at the Internet Movie Database
- Miss Spider on TreehouseTV.com