Miss Universe 2000
|Miss Universe 2000|
|Date||May 12, 2000|
|Presenters||Sinbad, Ali Landry and Julie Moran|
|Entertainment||Elvis Crespo, Dave Koz, Montell Jordan, and Anna Vissi|
|Venue||Eleftheria Indoor Hall, Nicosia, Cyprus|
|Withdraws||Bonaire, Barbados, Cook Islands, Curaçao, Guyana, Nicaragua, Suriname, Turkey, US Virgin Islands, Zambia|
|Returns||Bulgaria, Denmark, Guam, Netherlands, Norway, Zimbabwe|
|Best National Costume||Letty Murray
Miss Universe 2000, the 49th Miss Universe pageant was held at Eleftheria Indoor Hall, Nicosia, Cyprus on May 12, 2000. Seventy-nine delegates competed in this year. At the conclusion of the final night, Lara Dutta of India, aged 22, was crowned as the new Miss Universe 2000 by Mpule Kwelagobe of Botswana. The pageant was marked by certain political issues relating to the contestants. Turkey did not send a delegate to the pageant for the first time in thirteen years because of its relations with Cyprus; the Lebanese and Israeli delegates refused to speak to each other; and Corrinne Crewe of Zimbabwe had to deal with the threat of escalating violence in her country. There were also protests from religious and feminist groups on the island who claimed the event was un-Christian and an affront to women. The three finalists, Miss India, Miss Venezuela, and Miss Spain, were asked to respond to these protests and convince people that beauty pageants were good. Lara Dutta of India, aged 22, the winner of the competition, responded by saying she believed beauty pageants were a platform for women to voice their opinions and help them enter the field they wanted to enter, be it entrepreneurship, the armed forces, politics, and so forth. She also said beauty pageants made women the strong, independent individuals they are today because of all the help they give women. This spectacular answer to a difficult question completely impressed the judges and entire audience, showing Lara was not only gorgeous but a highly intellectual individual as well. This answer is believed to have greatly contributed to her victory.
That same year, two other Miss India contestants, Priyanka Chopra and Dia Mirza, won the Miss World 2000 and Miss Asia Pacific 2000 titles respectively. This was the second time a country had won all three major international beauty pageants in the same year, the first being Australia in 1972.
Nicosia was announced as host city of the pageant on July 1, 1999. The country invested $3.5 million in the event, in the hope that the publicity would increase tourism, the island's main industry.
Conservative Cypriot church leaders protested the decision to hold the pageant on the island, claiming that millennium celebrations of the birth of Christ were more important and that the event was scandalous and would promote female nudity.
|Miss Universe 2000|
|Best National Costume|
|Oscar De la Renta Best in Swimsuit|
|Clairol Herbal Essences Style|
Order of announcements
The week following the pageant, a Cyprus newspaper published the results of 11th through 15th place. They were as follows:
- 11) Miss Czech Republic
- 12) Miss Netherlands
- 13) Miss Panama
- 14) Miss Germany
- 15) Miss Japan
- Tony Robbins – Motivational speaker.
- Catherine Bell – Actress.
- André Leon Talley – Former editor-at-large for American Vogue.
- Kim Alexis – American model.
- Cristián de la Fuente – Chilean actor.
- Debbie Allen – American choreographer
- Serena Altschul – MTV News correspondent.
National Pageant notes
- Venezuela, initially chose Martina Thorogood to represent their country at both Miss Universe and Miss World 1999. Miss Universe officials objected to this as Thorogood placed first runner-up at Miss World and there was a chance that she could become Miss World should the winner resign or lose her crown. A second, smaller pageant was held among delegates who had competed in previous Miss Venezuela competitions, and Claudia Moreno was chosen to compete at Miss Universe. Moreno went on to place first runner-up.
- India, Lara Dutta was previously Miss Intercontinental 1997.
- Germany, Sabrina Schepmann was Miss Intercontinental 2000.
- Hong Kong, Sonija Kwok was Miss Chinese International 2000.
- Guatemala, Evelyn López was Miss Tourism Queen of the Year 2000.
- Colombia, Catalina Acosta Albarracín was Miss Italia nel Mondo 2002.
- France, Sonia Rolland, is a known actress in her country.
- Spain, was also the 2nd Runner up in Miss Universe 1999.
These networks televised the 2000 Miss Universe pageant live (or recorded it earlier for future broadcast) in their respective countries and territories:
- Joshi, Vijay (2000-05-09). "Global conflicts cast shadows at Miss Universe pageant".
- Efty, Alex (2000-05-11). "Church, women's group denounce Miss Universe pageant".
- "Cyprus to host Miss Universe in millennium". Agence France Press. 1999-07-01.
- Kambas, Michele (1999-07-01). "Cyprus to host Miss Universe next year-official". Reuters.
- "Church and state feud over Miss Universe contest". Associated Press. 1999-08-04.
- "Venezuela elects new representative to Miss Universe contest". Associated Press. 2000-03-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miss Universe 2000.|