Miss Universe 2007
|Miss Universe 2007|
|Date||May 28, 2007|
|Presenters||Vanessa Minnillo and Mario Lopez|
|Venue||Auditorio Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico|
|Debuts||Montenegro, Serbia, Tanzania|
|Withdraws||Cayman Islands, Chile, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Namibia, Northern Marianas, Sri Lanka, St. Martin, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkey, United Kingdom|
|Returns||Barbados, Belize, Curaçao, Honduras, Italy|
|Photogenic||Anna Theresa Licaros
Miss Universe 2007, the 56th Miss Universe pageant, took place on May 28, 2007 at the National Auditorium in Mexico City, Mexico. Seventy-seven delegates competed in this year. Zuleyka Rivera of Puerto Rico crowned Riyo Mori of Japan as Miss Universe 2007.
- 1 Results
- 2 Judges
- 3 Background Music
- 4 Contestants
- 5 National competitions
- 6 Crossovers
- 7 National Costume controversy
- 8 Areas of competition
- 9 Significant History
- 10 International broadcasting
- 11 References
- 12 External links
|Miss Universe 2007|
Final Competition Scores
Order of announcements
- Tony Romo - Dallas Cowboys quarterback.
- James Kyson Lee - actor on Heroes.
- Nina Garcia - Project Runway judge and Elle magazine fashion director.
- Dave Navarro - rock star.
- Dayanara Torres - Miss Universe 1993 from Puerto Rico
- Mauricio Islas - Mexican actor.
- Lindsay Clubine - Deal or No Deal briefcase model
- Marc Bouwer - fashion designer
- Christiane Martel - Miss Universe 1953 from France
- Michelle Kwan - World champion, 1998 Olympic silver medalist, and 2002 Olympic figure skating bronze medalist
- National Costume Presentation: "Say It Right" by Nelly Furtado
- Swimsuit Competition: "Wanna Play", "Cariño Mio" and "Money Money" by R.B.D.
- Evening Gown Competition: "(When You Gonna) Give It Up to Me" by Sean Paul (featuring Keyshia Cole)
Returning states and territories
Did not compete
National Costume controversy
Areas of competition
Prior to the final telecast, all contestants competed in swimsuit and evening gown during the preliminary competition. They also participated in interviews with the judges.
During the final competition, the top fifteen contestants (based on their preliminary scores) competed in the swimsuit competition, and the top ten competed in evening gown. The final five contestants participated in a final round of on-stage interviews, before the runners-up were announced and the new Miss Universe named.
This was the first year since 2002 that the judges' average scores were shown on television.
It was also the first time since 2002 that the final question posed on the ladies came from the judges. The previous pageants had final questions coming from the current Miss Universe and the delegates participating in the final five themselves.
This edition was ruled by Asia. Thailand made it on Top 15 and India on Top 10. Korea placed as 3rd runner up, making their third time to place in the Top 5. China won their first Miss Congeniality Award. The Philippines won again the Miss Photogenic Award back-to-back-to-back after 2005 and 2006 making them the country with the most number of wins (7 titles) for this award. Japan won this year's title making their second crown for Miss Universe after 48 years. They hold the record as the country with the longest interval of winning again the crown.
This is Tanzania's debut in the pageant but she did so well that she reached the Top 10. She was one of the crowd's favorites during the final night.
These are some of networks outside the United States (telecasted on NBC and Telemundo) that showed the 2007 Miss Universe pageant live (or recorded earlier) in their respective countries and territories: