Miss World 1998
|Miss World 1998|
Miss World 1998 Titlecard
|Date||26 November 1998|
|Presenters||Ronan Keating and Eden Harel|
|Venue||Baie Lazare, Seychelles|
|Debuts||Angola, Kazakhstan, St. Maarten|
|Withdraws||Cape Verde, Honduras, Latvia, Macau, Namibia, Thailand, Uganda|
|Returns||Curaçao, Liberia, Mauritius, Nicaragua, Nigeria|
Miss World 1998, the 48th edition of the Miss World pageant was held at the Lake Berjaya Mahé Resort in Mahé Island, Seychelles. 86 delegates from around the world competed for the crown. Ronan Keating then lead singer of Boyzone and MTV's Eden Harel hosted the event. This year's winner, Israel's Linor Abargil, revealed days after the competition that she was raped months before the pageant. She was crowned by Miss World 1997, Diana Hayden of India.
|Miss World 1998|
|3rd runner-up |
Order of Semi-finalists
|Asia & Oceania|
Trivia & Updates
Returning countries and Debuts
- Angola, Kazakhstan and St. Maarten competed in Miss World for the first time.
- Nicaragua last competed in 1977.
- Liberia last competed in 1988.
- Mauritius last competed in 1994.
- Curaçao and Nigeria last competed in 1996.
Withdrawals and Nations not competing
- Latvia, Evija Rucevska, withdrew for personal reasons, but competed a year later.
- Thailand lacked sponsorship to send a delegate.
- Iraq, Ban Kadret withdrew because of a disagreement between Eric Morely and the Miss Iraq organizers, due to sanctions placed on Iraq.
- Ghana slipped down on stage during the Day Wear Presentation in the finals.
- This is the first time that Miss World had a presentation on Day Wear, while the presentation for the national dress was annihilated. Australia, Sarah-Jane St. Clair won the award.
- United States, Shauna Gambill, was also Miss California Teen USA 1994 and Miss California USA 1998. She competed at Miss Teen USA 1994 where she won the title and placed 1st runner up at Miss USA 1998. She is the first Miss Teen USA winner to compete in Miss World.
- South Africa, Kerishnie Naicker, was a semi-finalist in Miss Universe 1998 in Hawaii, United States, while Jamaica, Christine Straw, later became the semi-finalist in Miss Universe 2004 in Ecuador.
- Belgium, Cayman Islands, Ireland, and Lebanon competed in Miss Universe 1999 in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Ukraine (Nataliya Nadtochey) competed in Miss Universe 1997 in Miami.
- France (Véronique Caloc) represented her country although she came from the island of Martinique.
- Republic of China changed the name on its sash to Chinese Taipei.
- After returning to the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong added the word China to its sash.
- 7 out of 10 countries which made it into the semifinals, were not in the semifinals last year: Chile (1967), Peru (1977), France and Jamaica (1993), Israel (1995), and Brazil (1996). Czech Republic made into the semi-finals for the first time since the separation from Czechoslovakia in 1993.
- Aruba and Curaçao had sent Spanish-speaking contestants in Miss World for the first time.
Background Music for Day Wear
- Group 1 - Soul Bossa Nova - Quincy Jones
- Group 2 - Une Very Stylish Fille - Dimitri from Paris
- Group 3 - Garden Party - Mezzoforte
- Group 4 -
- Group 5 -
- Group 6 - Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
- Group 7 -
- Group 8 - Would You Go To Bed With Me - Touch & Go
Note: Contestants who do not speak English during the interview are italicized.