Miss World 1999
|Miss World 1999|
Miss World 1999 Titlecard
|Date||4 December 1999|
|Presenters||Ulrika Jonsson and Melanie Sykes|
|Venue||Olympia Hall, London, UK|
|Withdraws||British Virgin Islands, Chinese Taipei, Curaçao, Mauritius|
|Returns||Bangladesh, Guyana, Honduras, Iceland, Kenya, Latvia, Madagascar, Romania, Sri Lanka, Tahiti, Thailand|
Miss World 1999, the 49th edition of the Miss World pageant was held on 4 December 1999 at London's Olympia Hall. The pageant was hosted by Ulrika Jonsson and model Melanie Sykes. The 1999 pageant attracted 94 delegates from all over the world. The 1999 pageant also marked the first time that Scotland and Wales fielded their respective delegates. At the end of the event, Miss India Yukta Mookhey went on to win the Miss World 1999 crown at 20. She was crowned by her predecessor Linor Abargil of Israel.
|Miss World 1999|
Order of Semi-finalists
Order of Finalists
- 1. Israel
- 2. Liberia
- 3. Venezuela
- 4. India
- 5. South Africa
|Asia & Oceania|
|Best Designed Evening Dress||
Trivia & Updates
Returning countries and Debuts
- Scotland, and Wales competed in Miss World for the first time.
- Guyana last competed in 1989.
- Madagascar last competed in 1990.
- Iceland and Sri Lanka last competed in 1994.
- Bangladesh, Romania, and Tahiti last competed in 1996.
- Honduras, Latvia, and Thailand last competed in 1997.
Withdrawals and Nations not competing
- British Virgin Islands, Chinese Taipei, and Curaçao did not compete in Miss World 1999 for unknown reasons.
- Northern Ireland withdrew at the last minute for personal and private reasons.
- Honduras, Japan, Madagascar, Angola, and Uruguay introduced themselves in their native languages.
- Preliminary swimsuits were held in Malta for the second time after 12 years.
- This is the first time that the contestants were introduced in evening gowns. Israel, Jenny Chervoney (placed 4th in Miss World 1999) won the Best Evening Dress Award.
- England, Nicola Willoughby still represented as United Kingdom in Miss World because of Northern Ireland's last-minute withdrawal.
- Thailand (Karnala Kumpu Na Ayuthaya) was the 3rd Runner-Up in Miss Thailand World 1997.
- 7 out of 10 countries which made it into the semifinals, were not in the semifinals last year: Liberia (1964), Norway and Spain (1988), Croatia (1995), Venezuela (1996), and India (1997). Estonia made into the semi-finals for the first time since its debut in 1994.
- Philippines Lalaine Edson was just a replacement for Miriam Quiambao who was sent to Miss Universe 1999. Originally Miriam Quiambao was to represent Philippines in the Miss World 1999 Pageant but was replaced by Lalaine Edson. Later, Miriam Quiambao who was Philippines' representative to the Miss Universe 1999 was 1st runner-up.
- South Africa Sonia Raciti was a finalist in Miss Universe 1999.