Missa Brevis No. 7 (Mozart)
The Missa Brevis No. 7 in C major, K. 258, is a mass composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, probably in 1776. It is scored for SATB soloists, SATB choir, violin I and II, 2 oboes, 2 clarini (high trumpets), 3 trombones colla parte, timpani and basso continuo.
The mass is often referred to as the Spaur Mass, although this is misleading; Leopold Mozart wrote in 1788 of a mass the family nicknamed the Spaur, as Wolfgang had written it for the consecration of Count Ignaz Joseph von Spaur. However, this could refer to one of many masses, including K. 257, K. 262 and K. 275/272b. The original score of this mass was discovered in the archives of the Brixen Cathedral in 2007; this provides another link to the Spaur family, some of whom held power in the Bishopric of Brixen.
The mass is divided into six movements.
- "Kyrie" Allegro, 3/4
- "Gloria" Allegro, common time
- "Credo" Allegro, 3/4
- "Et incarnatus est..." Adagio, common time
- "Et resurrexit..." Allegro, 3/4
- "Sanctus" Andante maestoso, common time
- "Pleni sunt coeli et terra..." Allegro, cut common time
- "Benedictus" Allegro, cut common time
- "Agnus Dei" Adagio, common time
- Sadie, Stanley (2006). Mozart: The Early Years 1756–1781.
- Kenyon, Nicholas (2006). The Pegasus Pocket Guide to Mozart. p. 264.
- Gutnam, Robert (2011). Mozart.
- "Trovata a Bressanone la partitura originale della Spaur-Messe di Mozart" [Original score of Mozart's Spaur Mass found in Bressanone] (in Italian). Provincia autonoma di Bolzano. 15 June 2007. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Zaslaw, Neal; Cowdery, William. The Compleat Mozart: A Guide to the Musical Works of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Einstein, Alfred (1945). Mozart: His Character, His Work. p. 338.
- Missa in C K. 258: Score in the Neue Mozart-Ausgabe
- Free scores of Missa brevis (Piccolomini, or Spaur Messe) in C major, KV 258 in the Choral Public Domain Library (ChoralWiki)
- Missa brevis in C major, K.258: Free scores at the International Music Score Library Project