|Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña|
|Location||San Antonio, Texas
|U.S. National Historic Landmark|
|Added to NRHP:||April 15, 1970|
|NRHP Reference No.||70000740|
|Designated as NHL:||NHL|
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de Acuña (also Mission Concepcion) was established in 1716 as Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de los Hainais in East Texas. It was originally meant to be a base for converting the Hasinai. The mission was moved in 1731 to San Antonio. After its relocation most of the people in the mission were Pajalats who spoke a Coahuiltecan language. Founded by Franciscan friars, this is the best preserved of the Texas missions.
The Battle of Concepción was fought here on October 28, 1835 between Mexican troops under Colonel Domingo Ugartechea and Texian insurgents led by James Bowie and James Fannin. The 30-minute engagement, is described as "the first major engagement of the Texas Revolution" by historian J.R. Edmondson.
Located at 807 Mission Road, Concepcion was designated a National Historic Landmark on April 15, 1970 and is part of San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. Restoration of the mission's interior was completed in March 2010 after six months of work. Catholic Mass is still held every Sunday.
Architectural drawing from HAER
- Spanish missions in Texas
- Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo
- Mission San Juan Capistrano
- Mission San Francisco de la Espada
- Espada Acequia
- Juliana Barr, Peace Came in the Form of a Woman: Indians and Spaniards in the Texas Borderlands (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2007), p. 131
- Edmondson, J.R. (2000), The Alamo Story-From History to Current Conflicts, Plano, TX: Republic of Texas Press, p. 224, ISBN 1-55622-678-0, OCLC 42842410
- Wayne Bell (1971), National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Mission Concepcion (pdf), National Park Service
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mission Concepcion, San Antonio, Texas.|
- San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
- Mission Conception parish
- Mission Conception entry at Handbook of Texas Online
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. TX-319-A, "Mission Senora de la Purisima Concepcion, Church, 807 Mission Road, San Antonio, Bexar County, TX", 17 photos, 3 color transparencies, 7 data pages, 3 photo caption pages
- HABS No. TX-319-B, "Mission Senora de la Purisima Concepcion, Convent, 807 Mission Road, San Antonio, Bexar County, TX", 3 photos, 1 color transparency, 4 data pages, 2 photo caption pages