Mississippi Foundation For Medical Care
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Information & Quality Healthcare. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2012.|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
Mississippi Foundation For Medical Care (MFMC) was established by the House of Delegates at the 103rd Annual Session of the Mississippi State Medical Association. The incorporation date was July 6, 1971.
A grant from the National Center for Health Services Research and Development in 1971 allowed development of a physician-sponsored system for evaluating the quality of medical care. The primary goal was to improve the quality of medical care in the state and produce long lasting and tangible results. Programs such as the Experimental Medical Care Review Organization (EMCRO) and the Professional Standards Review Organization (PSRO) preceded the Peer Review Organization (PRO) designation which came on July 1, 1984.
In the spring of 1998 the leadership of Mississippi Foundation For Medical Care voted to change the name to Information & Quality Healthcare in order to better meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Signatures on the 1971 charter are those of Governor John Bell Williams and Secretary of State Heber Ladner for the state and Dr. J.T. Davis, Sr., M.D. of Corinth, MS, Dr. Everett Crawford of Tylertown, MS and Dr. James O. Gilmore of Oxford, MS as officers of the Mississippi State Medical Association. The charter describes the Foundation as "a nonprofit corporation" and as a "civic improvement corporation", governed by a board of directors, with each member having voting privileges.
- Jesse Theo Davis, Sr., M.D. Hand in Hand. LeFleurs Bluff Publishing Company, 1995, p. 236.
- Arthur E. Brown, M.D. The President Speaking. Journal Mississippi State Medical Association, 1971, p. 368.
- Board of Trustees Begins Organizing Mississippi Foundation for Medical Care. Journal Mississippi State Medical Association, July 1971, p. 379.
- Supplemental Report B of the Board of Trustees. Journal Mississippi State Medical Association, August 1971, p. 415, 440-441.
- Care Foundation Is Organized, Headed By Drs. Davis, Crawford and Gilmore. Journal Mississippi State Medical Association, October 1971, p. 557.
- Journal Mississippi State Medical Association, July 1972, p. 189.
- The Mississippi Foundation for Medical Care. Journal Mississippi State Medical Association, August 1972, p. 332-333.
- Mississippi State Medical Association Official Website
- Kelly, Carole New Name and Look for Mississippi PRO: I.Q.H. Information and Quality Healthcare. Quality Matters, May–June 1998 Volume XV, Number 2
- Jesse Theo Davis, Sr., M.D. Hand in Hand. LeFleurs Bluff Publishing Company, 1995