Missouri Lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2012
|Elections in Missouri|
The Missouri lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2012 was held on November 6, 2012. Republican Peter Kinder, Missouri's current lieutenant governor, faced off with Democratic nominee and former state auditor Susan Montee, Libertarian Matthew Copple, and the Constitution Party nominee, former state representative Cynthia Davis.
- 1 Background
- 2 Timeline
- 3 Republican primary
- 4 Democratic primary
- 5 Libertarian primary
- 6 Constitution primary
- 7 General election
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Incumbent lieutenant governor Peter Kinder won the 2008 Missouri lieutenant gubernatorial election with 49.9% of the vote against Democratic candidate Sam Page. Kinder had been considered the front-runner in the 2012 Republican Gubernatorial primary, however after various controversies emerged, he decided to run for re-election. His decision was also influenced by St. Louis businessman and multimillionaire Dave Spence unexpectedly declaring to run for Governor and pledging to put much of his own money into the race.
- March 27, 2012 – Filing deadline for Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians
- August 7, 2012 – Primary (gubernatorial and other statewide office) elections
- August 21, 2012 – Filing deadline for other third parties and Independents
- November 6, 2012 – General election.
- Michael E. Carter, former Municipal Judge, Corporate Attorney and Democratic candidate for Lieutenant Governor in 2008
- Peter Kinder, incumbent Lieutenant Governor
- Brad Lager, State Senator
- Charles W. Kullmann, retired college teacher 
- Ed Martin, attorney
- Chris McKee, developer
- Luann Ridgeway, state senator
- Steven Tilley, Speaker of the Missouri House of Representatives
|Public Policy Polling||August 4–5, 2012||590||± 4.0%||6%||42%||5%||30%||18%|
|Mason-Dixon||July 23–25, 2012||400||± 5.0%||6%||47%||1%||21%||25%|
100% reporting (3,420 of 3,420 precincts) 
|Republican primary results|
- Judy Baker, former State Representative and former regional director of the United States Department of Health and Human Services
- Sara Lampe, State Representative
- Susan Montee, former State Auditor of Missouri and former Chairwoman of the Missouri Democratic Party
- Becky Plattner, Missouri Conservation Commission chairwoman, former Presiding Commissioner of Saline County and candidate for Lieutenant Governor in 2008
|Mason-Dixon||July 23–25, 2012||400||± 5.0%||5%||9%||28%||13%||4%||41%|
100% reporting (3,420 of 3,420 precincts) 
|Democratic primary results|
|Democratic||Jackie Townes McGee||15,493||5.3%|
|Democratic||Becky Lee Plattner||11,080||3.8%|
- Matthew Copple
|Libertarian primary results|
|Constitution primary results|
Kinder defeated all other candidates to become the first Missouri Lieutenant Governor to be elected to a third term since Frank Gaines Harris, who served from January 1933 to December 1944. Kinder received 49.4 percent of the vote while Susan Montee received 45.4 percent. Libertarian Matthew Copple and Constitution Party candidate Cynthia L. Davis garnered 2.8 and 2.4 percent, respectively.
|Missouri Lieutenant Governor Election, 2012|
|Poll source||Date(s) administered||Sample
|Peter Kinder (R)||Susan Montee (D)||Other||Undecided|
|Public Policy Polling||November 2–3, 2012||835||± 3.4%||44%||43%||—||13%|
|Mason-Dixon||October 23–25, 2012||625||± 4%||46%||41%||—||13%|
|Public Policy Polling||October 19–21, 2012||582||± 4.1%||43%||43%||—||13%|
|Public Policy Polling||August 20, 2012||500||± 4.4%||45%||38%||—||17%|
- United States gubernatorial elections, 2012
- United States Senate election in Missouri, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Missouri, 2012
- Missouri gubernatorial election, 2012
- Missouri attorney general election, 2012
- Missouri state treasurer election, 2012
- Missouri secretary of state election, 2012
- Wagman, Jake (November 19, 2010). "Peter Kinder drops out of governor's race". stltoday.com. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- Hancock, Jason (November 16, 2011). "David Spence to enter Republican primary for governor". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
-  from the Missouri Secretary of State
- "Election Night Reporting". MO Secretary of State. August 8, 2012. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "Lampe officially announces run for Lieutenant Governor". KY 3 television website. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- "Peter Kinder elected to historic third term as Lieutenant Gvernor". Associated Press via Ozark Area Network. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- "November 6 General Election -Lieutenant Governor". Missouri Secretary of State election website. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- Official campaign websites
- Judy Baker for Lieutenant Governor
- Mike Carter for Lieutenant Governor
- Cynthia Davis for Lieutenant Governor
- Peter Kinder for Lieutenant Governor
- Brad Lager for Lieutenant Governor
- Sara Lampe for Lieutenant Governor
- Susan Montee for Lieutenant Governor
- Becky Plattner for Lieutenant Governor