Missouri Southern Lions
|Missouri Southern Lions|
|University||Missouri Southern State University|
|Athletic director||Jared Bruggeman|
|Football stadium||Fred G. Hughes Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Leggett & Platt Athletic Center|
|Baseball stadium||Joe Becker Stadium|
|Mascot||Roary the Lion|
|Fight song||Southern Fight Song|
The Missouri Southern Lions are composed of 12 teams representing Missouri Southern State University in intercollegiate athletics, including men and women's basketball, cross country, and track and field. Men's sports include baseball, football, and golf. Women's sports include soccer, softball, and volleyball. The Lions compete in the NCAA Division II and are members of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association.
|Golf||Track and Field|
|Track and Field||Volleyball|
|1981||Braun, RandyRandy Braun||12||Astros|
|1984||Gildehaus, MichaelMichael Gildehaus||20||Padres|
|1990||Rogers, DanielDaniel Rogers||8||Tigers|
|1991||Casper, TimothyTimothy Casper||55||Giants|
|1991||Grundt, KenKen Grundt||53||Giants|
|1991||Luther, TimothyTimothy Luther||12||Giants|
|1992||Fisher, DavidDavid Fisher||29||Phillies|
|1995||Wright, ScottScott Wright||41||Reds|
|1995||Darnell, BryceBryce Darnell||40||Cardinals|
|1996||Darnell, BryceBryce Darnell||58||Diamondbacks|
|2005||Taylor, JeffreyJeffrey Taylor||24||Nationals|
|2009||Beal, JustinJustin Beal||28||Phillies|
|2010||Lincoln, JosephJoseph Lincoln||34||Dodgers|
As of 2012 the Mascot's official name has become Roary the Lion. He made his debut at the October 6th 2012 Homecoming game against the South Dakota Mines. He has since launched his own Facebook and Twitter accounts and is a staple at all home sporting events, as well as throughout the community of Joplin.
Fight Green and Gold
Onward to victory
Go Lions Go
Marching forward fearlessly
Fight Lions Fight
As we roar towards another win
Brave and bold our
Green and Gold
MoSo Lions Go!
The MSSU Fight Song lyrics were selected during a contest conducted in late 2012 and early 2013. Until the winner was announced at the Lions vs. Central Oklahoma Bronchos basketball game Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 in Leggett & Platt Athletic Center, only the musical score existed.
- On September 27, 2005 head football coach John Ware experienced a severe heart attack while working in his campus office. Coaching staff administered CPR at the scene but Ware was pronounced dead on arrival at a Joplin hospital a short time later. Ware was in his second year as the Lion's head coach.
- In the early morning on Friday, December 2, 2011, two Missouri Southern football players were killed in an automobile accident that injured two other students, the university said. Michael McCrimmons and Diondre Johnson, both 19-year-old freshmen from Springfield, Missouri died in the crash; the vehicle ran off the road on Interstate 44 about two miles east of Sarcoxie, Missouri. A vigil was being planned for the students, according to President Bruce W. Speck.
- On the night of November 1, 2013 Missouri Southern football offensive line coach Derek Moore was shot outside a Joplin, Missouri theater and later died at an area hospital. Moore was in his first year on the Missouri Southern coaching staff after spending the previous three seasons at Western Illinois University. Due to the shooting death school officials cancelled Homecoming activities.
- "Missouri Southern". mssulions.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "MLB Amateur Draft Picks who came from "Missouri Southern State University (Joplin, MO)"". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Fight Song
- "Missouri Southern football coach dies". The Joplin Independent via website. 27 September 2005. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- Huffington Post article on 2 football players killed in automobile accident in 2011
- Sports Illustrated article on 2 football players killed in automobile accident in 2011
- "MSSU assistant football coach killed in shooting". Associated Press via KTVO-TV website. 2 November 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.