Missouri Western State Griffons
|Missouri Western Griffons|
|University||Missouri Western State University|
|Athletic director||Kurt McGuffin|
|Location||St. Joseph, MO|
|Football stadium||Spratt Memorial Stadium|
|Basketball arena||MWSU Fieldhouse at Looney Complex|
|Fight song||"Fight On Griffons!"|
|Colors||Black and Gold
|Homepage||Missouri Western Athletics|
The Missouri Western Griffons are the sports teams of Missouri Western State University located in St. Joseph, Missouri. They participate in the NCAA's Division II and in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA).
Football at Missouri is played at Spratt Stadium. The current head football coach is Jerry Partridge, who has held the position since 1997. Partridge became Missouri Western’s All-time wins leader on September 30, 2006 as the Griffons defeated Truman State University. His current total of 128+ career victories ranks third on the MIAA All-time list.
Kansas City Chiefs Summer Training Camp
The school has been the summer training camp for the Kansas City Chiefs since 2010. The $15.7 million facility was paid for by $10 million from the Chiefs (from state tax credits) and $1.2 million from student fees at Missouri Western, with the rest coming from the City of St. Joseph, Buchanan County and private donations. It was designed by St. Joseph architect firm Ellison-Auxier architects, Inc., which designed the school's Spratt Hall and clock tower.
A climate-controlled, 120-yard NFL regulation grass indoor field, with a locker room, weight room, training room, classrooms and office space was completed in the summer of 2010. This facility is referred to as the "Griffon Indoor Sports Complex."
The official mascot of Missouri Western Athletic teams is Max the Griffon.
Gently flows the wide Missouri, searching for the sea.
Take me to my alma mater, where it waits for me.
Though I leave and ever wander, this I know is true:
When I dream of old Missouri, I’ll remember you.
Loyal heats to her returning, faithful, proud and true.
Missouri Western live forever, we sing praise to you.
- Roger Allen III, NFL offensive lineman
- David Bass, NFL defensive lineman
- Michael Hill, NFL running back
- Paul Rhoads, Iowa State University head football coach
- Gijon Robinson, NFL tight end
- Greg Zuerlein, NFL kicker
- "Members: Missouri". 2010. Retrieved Oct 16, 2013.
- Jerry Partridge Bio.
- Chiefs camp carries heftier price tag St. Joseph News-Press - January 16, 2009
- Western makes familiar firm choice for Chiefs training camp facilities - Griffon News - February 5, 2009
- "Chiefs training camp to return to Missouri beginning in 2010". Kansas City Chiefs. 2009-06-18. Retrieved 2009-06-19.[dead link]
- Griffons Mascot
- "MWSU Songs".