|Slogan||Wong the web|
|Type of site||Social bookmarking|
|Alexa rank||20,106 (December 2013[update])|
The website was a German startup, established in 2006. Kai Tietjen had been running an ad agency for nearly a decade, when, in March 2006, he entered the field of web entrepreneurship with the idea to "take on Google". Investing mostly his own money, he created a website that allows customers to bookmark their favorite sites, and then uses those bookmarks as the basic data for its search engine : to find a popular site, a user can search all other users' bookmarks.
The service is currently available in German, English, Russian, Chinese, Spanish and French.
Origin of name
Mister Wong's original logo, depicting a "cartoonish, nerdy East Asian man", brought on protests from many Asian-Americans. The website's creator subsequently issued an apology and removed the logo.
- "Mister-wong.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Mister Wong company profile at CrunchBase
- "Kai Tietjen, CEO & Founder of Construktiv", 2006
- "Creating Buzz (Without Hate Mail)", Newsweek, October 27, 2007
- "About Mister Wong"
- flickr.com stored image
- "Mister Wong Isn't Laughing Anymore", Der Spiegel online in German
- A Message from the Founder, Kai Tietjen, July, 27 2007