|Key people||David Morrell, (Chairman)|
The business was founded by F.G. (Tiny) Mitchell in London in 1933 as an offshoot of Mitchell Engineering, his engineering business. In 1940 the Company moved to Peterborough because of the destruction created in London by The Blitz. David Morrell took over management of the business from Tiny Mitchell in 1954. During the 1950s the business expanded rapidly exploiting hydro-electric power opportunities in Scotland.
In 1962 Mitchell Construction acquired Kinnear Moodie, a leading tunneling business.
Major projects undertaken by the business included:
- The Loch Cluanie Dam completed in 1957
- Chapelcross Power Station completed in 1959
- The Advanced Gas-cooled Reactor at Sellafield completed in 1962
- Fawley Power Station at Southampton completed in 1962
- The Scotswood Bridge completed in 1967
- The Kariba Dam North Cavern completed in 1973