List of Tales of Symphonia characters
Tales of Symphonia is a Japanese role-playing game released for the Nintendo GameCube on August 29, 2003 in Japan and was localized to North America in 2004. Its sequel, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, was released on the Wii in 2008. The characters in both games were designed by Kōsuke Fujishima.
The story takes place in a world known as Sylvarant. Lloyd Irving accompanies his childhood friend, Colette Brunel, who is chosen by the angels to travel and unseal Sylvarant's temples to restore mana, a necessary energy to sustain life, to the world.[NGC 1] They are accompanied by Genis Sage and Raine Sage, half-elves from their village, and a mercenary named Kratos Aurion. During their journey, they learn from Sheena Fujibayashi about the existence of a parallel world called Tethe'alla and how their quest redirects Tethe'alla's flow of mana towards Sylvarant.[NGC 2] The party then discover that their religion and mana system are a facade created by an organization called Cruxis lead by Mithos Yggdrasill. The party then travel to Tethe'alla where Zelos Wilder, Presea Combatir, and Regal Bryant join them in their cause to save the two worlds.
The sequel, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World takes place two years after the reunification of Sylvarant and Tethe'alla which caused extreme climate change. It follows Emil Castagnier and Marta Lualdi as they journey to awaken the deity known as Ratatosk to solve the world's climate problem.
- 1 Protagonists
- 2 Antagonists
- 3 Other characters
- 4 Notes and references
Lloyd Irving (ロイド・アーヴィング Roido Āvingu?) is a strong-hearted young man who wishes for peace in the world without the sacrifice of others.[NGC 3] Orphaned as a child, he was adopted and raised by a dwarf, Dirk.[NGC 4] When Lloyd learns his mother, Anna, was killed by the Desians, he decides to join Colette's journey.[NGC 5] During the journey, Lloyd kills Kvar, one of the Desian Grand Cardinals, after learning that Kvar's Angelus Project caused the death of Lloyd's mother.[NGC 6] As Lloyd continues his journey with the party, he is chosen to wield the Eternal Sword to help them achieve their goals.[NGC 7] To accommodate for his dual-sword fighting style, the Eternal Sword's powers enter Lloyd's Material Blades.[NGC 8] After merging the two worlds and germinating the Great Seed into a Giant Kharlan Tree, Martel pronounces Lloyd as the tree's guardian and asks him to name it.[NGC 9] In the sequel, Dawn of the New World, Lloyd is pronounced the culprit of the Blood Purge, a massacre in the village in which Emil Castagnier resides.[Wii 1] Lloyd cuts all ties with his friends after the incident and begins his search for the Centurion's cores. The protagonists later learn Lloyd has been framed by Decus for the Blood Purge and that Lloyd had been gathering the Centurion's cores to stop Ratatosk from destroying humanity; the reason for his silence was to prevent Ratatosk, who is able to gather information from monsters, to learn about his plans.[Wii 2] Lloyd's voice actor is Katsuyuki Konishi. His English dubbed voice are provided by Scott Menville in Tales of Symphonia, and Brian Beacock in all other appearances.
Lloyd has received positive reception in Japan. In the second Tales series character popularity polls, Lloyd ranked as who people want as an older brother, younger brother, and friend categories. Since then, Lloyd has ranked on the Tales series popular characters polls. He appears as a playable character in Tales of the World, Tales of VS., and Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave and as a skill in the Nintendo DS version of Tales of Hearts. Outside of the Tales franchise, Lloyd is a playable character in Soulcalibur Legends.
Colette Brunel (コレット・ブルーネル Koretto Burūneru?) is the Chosen of Mana of Sylvarant; also known as the Chosen of Regeneration, the one who will bring peace and prosperity to the world. She was brought up with the knowledge that she would need to die to save the world, and, from that, has gained a truly selfless nature.[NGC 10] As the party travels to the seals, Colette gains more angelic powers, but loses her humanity.[NGC 11] The final seal removes her personality and leaves her as a lifeless shell.[NGC 12] After learning that their journey is all a ruse by Cruxis to revive Martel, the party flee to Tethe'alla to find a cure for Colette. They learn that Colette's condition and angelic powers are caused by her Cruxis Crystal, an advanced evolution of the Exsphere, and cure her by attaching a Key Crest to control the Cruxis Crystal.[NGC 13] As the party continues on their journey, Colette becomes inflicted with Chronic Angelus Crystallus Inofficium, a disease that turns the body into a Cruxis Crystal.[NGC 14] The party then searches for the materials needed to adjust Colette's Key Crest in order to cure her.[NGC 15] In the sequel, Dawn of the New World, Colette begins searching for Lloyd after the Blood Purge.[Wii 3] Her Japanese voice actress is Nana Mizuki and her English voice actress is Heather Hogan.
Colette was ranked on the first Tales series character popularity polls. In the second Tales series popularity polls, Colette ranked as the character people want as a younger sister, and has made appearances on the next four polls as well. Since her debut, she has made regular appearances as a playable character in the Tales of the World series.
Genis Sage (ジーニアス・セイジ Jīniasu Seiji?) is the younger brother of Raine Sage. He is a child prodigy and a great cook. The Sages are both half-elves, but they pass themselves off as full-blooded elves to avoid discrimination. During the beginning of the game, Genis incites Lloyd to help Marble, an inmate belonging to the Desian's human ranches. Their actions provoke the Desians to attack their village resulting in Lloyd's exile. Genis decides to follow Lloyd as the two meet with Colette's group on their journey. To assist them, Genis uses Marble's Exsphere to increase his powers.[NGC 16] In Tethe'alla, the Sage's race were revealed and accepted by the party. During the course of the journey, Genis becomes close friends with Mithos. After learning Mithos' true identity and apparently defeating him, Genis holds onto Mithos' Cruxis Crystal.[NGC 17] The Cruxis Crystal is later destroyed when Mithos is revealed to still be alive in it. In Dawn of the New World, Genis is on a search for Lloyd after the Blood Purge.[Wii 4] His Japanese voice actress is Ai Orikasa. His English voice actresses are Colleen O'Shaughnessey in Tales of Symphonia and Tara Sands in all other appearances.
Genis appeared on the first character popularity polls; He ranked on the second and sixth popularity polls in the character people want as a younger brother category. Since his debut, he has made regular appearances as a playable character in the Tales of the World series.
Kratos Aurion (クラトス・アウリオン Kuratosu Aurion?) is a mysterious mercenary who is hired to accompany Colette on her journey. He is later revealed as a high-ranking member of Cruxis and one of Mithos Yggdrasill's companions who was ordered to ensure Colette would finish her journey.[NGC 18][NGC 19] After betraying the party to Mithos, Kratos secretly searches for materials to enable Lloyd to use the Eternal Sword.[NGC 20] He is revealed to be Lloyd's father after Yuan fails to blackmail him into releasing the summon spirit Origin.[NGC 21] After gathering the materials to make the Eternal Ring, Kratos has the party form a contract with Origin to enable Lloyd to wield the Eternal Sword. After reuniting the two worlds, Kratos leaves for Derris-Kharlan with the remaining members of Cruxis.[NGC 22] In Dawn of the New World, he makes a final transmission to Yuan before Derris-Kharlan is out of range.[Wii 5]
His past is explored through side stories. Over 4000 years prior to the game, Kratos was the lead knight of Tethe'alla's capital. He meets Mithos and Martel who asks him to arrange a meeting with Tethe'alla's king to warn him about an upcoming invasion by Sylvarant. The king ignores Mithos' pleas due to his race and Tethe'alla's capital is destroyed in the attack. Mithos, Martel, and Kratos are exiled from the capital after being deemed responsible for the attack and Kratos joins the two as they journey the world to find a new home. After Mithos saves the world, Kratos leaves for Sylvarant after disagreeing with Mithos' Age of Lifeless Beings plan and meets Anna who encourages him to stop Mithos.[NGC 23] The two then flee from Cruxis where Lloyd was born during their flight. Kvar corners them and turns Anna into a monster, forcing Kratos to kill her.[NGC 24] Kratos battle with Kvar causes Lloyd and Noishe to fall off a cliff where Kratos assumed they both died.[NGC 25] His Japanese voice actor is Fumihiko Tachiki and his English voice actor is Cam Clarke.
Kratos' reception has been positive in Japan. He appeared on the first Tales character popularity polls and in the second one the character people want as an older brother and a teacher categories. Since then, he has appeared in all current polls. He is a playable character in the Tales of the World series, Tales of VS., and makes a cameo appearance as an enemy in Tales of Vesperia.
Raine Sage, known as Refill Sage (リフィル・セイジ Rifiru Seiji?) in the original Japanese version, is Genis' older sister and Iselia's schoolteacher. Raine is a calm, pragmatic thinker who is mistrustful of others and is a terrible cook. In the past, Raine and Genis were Tethe'allans who were sent to Sylvarant by the use of the Otherworldly Gate, a portal that intertwines the world.[NGC 26] Because of this, she is fascinated with ruins of any kind because of memories of being abandoned at the Otherworldly Gate.[NGC 27] They were sent to Sylvarant by their mother Virginia to escape Tethe'alla's discriminatory laws.[NGC 28] While on the run, Raine fell off of a boat and nearly drowned, leading to a severe case of aquaphobia. After the re-unification of the world, Raine and Genis set out to educate the world to eliminate the prejudice against half elves.[NGC 29] Her Japanese voice actress is Yumi Tōma. Her voice actress is Kari Wahlgren in Tales of Symphonia and Tara Platt in all other appearances.
Raine appeared on the second character popularity polls as the character people want as an older sister category and has made no appearances on future rankings since then. Since her debut, she has made regular appearances as a playable character in the Tales of the World series.
Sheena Fujibayashi (藤林しいな Fujibayashi Shiina?) is a strong-willed and kindhearted ninja from Mizuho, a village in Tethe'alla; Sheena is always accompanied by Corrine (コリン Korin?), a man-made Summon Spirit.[NGC 30] She is the summoner of the party allowing her to form a pact with Summon Spirits to call them for help.[NGC 31] She has a fear of the Summon Spirit Volt whom attacked her village about failing to make a pact with him.[NGC 32] She is sent to Sylvarant to assassinate Collete but joins them as they seek to save the two worlds. The party accompanies her on her second attempt to form a pact with Volt which succeeds after Corrine sacrifices her life. During the party's journey, she forms a pact with all Summon Spirits including Origin who allows Lloyd to wield the Eternal Sword. She later reunites with Corrine who is newly reborn as the Summon Spirit of Heart, Verius (ヴェリウス Veriusu?). Later, her grandfather wakes up from his coma and makes Sheena the chief of Mizuho.[NGC 33] After the worlds are reunited, Sheena is chosen to be an emissary of peace between Sylvarant and Tethe'alla.[NGC 34] In Dawn of the New World she joins Emil and Marta's to search for Lloyd. Her Japanese voice actress is Akemi Okamura. Her English voice actress was Jennifer Hale in Tales of Symphonia, and Megan Hollingshead in all other appearances.
Sheena appeared on the second character popularity polls as the character people want as an older sister category and has made no appearances on future rankings since then. Corrine ranked in the sixth Tales character popularity polls in the mascot category. Since her debut, she has made regular appearances in the Tales of the World series as a playable character.
Zelos Wilder (ゼロス・ワイルダー Zerosu Wairudā?) is the Tethe'alla's Chosen. He is the comic relief of the group, dropping tactless comments at the most inopportune moment and hitting on women and the female party members. His personality is later revealed to be a facade to deal with the difficulties in his life. Zelos came from an upper-class society and is highly popular due to his status and looks. He joins the party when they arrive in Tethe'alla to watch and prevent them from completing Sylvarant's regeneration ritual.[NGC 35] During the party's journey, Zelos befriends Lloyd and shares his past with him. His parents were forced to marry by orders of Cruxis to continue the bloodline of the Chosen. Zelos expresses disdain for life as he was shunned by those around him.[NGC 36] His mother, Mylene Wilder, was killed by his father's former lover. Mylene's final words to Zelos was cursing his birth.[NGC 37] After the murder, Zelos' half sister, Seles Wilder (セレス・ワイルダー Seresu Wairudā?), is placed under house arrest.[NGC 38] Despite what happened, Zelos cares for Seles, though she has a tsundere complex with him. Zelos is revealed to be leaking information to the Renegades and Cruxis since the beginning and had planned to betray the party.[NGC 39] Depending on the player's choice in Flanoir, Zelos will either remain loyal to the party or betray them and die. He survives in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World establishing his survival as canonical. In Dawn of the New World, he publicly expresses his belief that Lloyd is not involved in the Blood Purge. When Decus, disguised as Lloyd, kidnaps Seles, he joins the Emil and Marta to save her and to prove Lloyd's innocence. His Japanese voice actor is Masaya Onosaka. His English voice actor was Shiloh Strong in Tales of Symphonia, and Christopher Corey Smith in all other appearances.
Zelos' reception has been positive in Japan. He ranked on the first Tales character popularity poll and in the second, ranked in the character people want as an older brother category. Since then, he has appeared on all current polls. Game Informer listed Zelos as one of the best characters in the Tales series. He is a playable character in the Tales of the World series and Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave.
Presea Combatir (プレセア・コンバティール Puresea Konbatīru?) is a twelve-year-old lumberjack from Ozette, a village in Tethe'alla. When her father fell ill, her younger sister Alicia Combatir (アリシア・コンバティール Arishia Konbatīru?), went to work for the Bryant family.[NGC 40] Presea volunteered to Vhaley's experiment so she could wield an axe and continue her father's work in his place.[NGC 41] She was given an Exsphere without a Keycrest which suppressed her consciousness causing her to behave robotically and stopped her body from aging. Sixteen years later, the party meets and builds a Keycrest for her and restores her personality.[NGC 42] She joins the party permanently to repent her betrayal while under the influence of the Exsphere. After learning how Regal killed Alicia, Presea holds a strong resentment towards him but slowly forgives him as the plot progresses. Her Japanese voice actress is Hōko Kuwashima. Her English voice actress is Tara Strong in Symphonia and Janice Kawaye in Dawn of the New World.
Presea's reception has been positive in Japan. She ranked as the character people want as a younger sister category in the second Tales character popularity polls and has appeared in all current polls. She is a playable character in the Tales of the World series and Tales of VS. and as a skill in the Nintendo DS version of Tales of Hearts.
Regal Bryant (リーガル・ブライアン Rīgaru Buraian?) is the president of the Lezareno Company, a major corporation in Tethe'alla.[NGC 43] He and Alicia Combatir, Presea's younger sister, were lovers who were forcefully separated when Regal's butler sold Alicia to Vharley.[NGC 44] Vharley's experiment turned Alicia into a monster and forced Regal to kill her.[NGC 45] Tortured by guilt, Regal turns himself into prison for murder and forces himself to wear shackles on the premise of never using his hands for fighting again. During his time in prison, Regal is taught by a prisoner to fight with kicks. When the party travels to Tethe'alla, Regal confronts them after making a deal with the Pope to arrest Vharley.[NGC 46] He joins the party when he realizes Presea is with them and settles his past after talking to Alicia's spirit.[NGC 47] He and Presea later confront and kill Vharley. At the end of the game, Regal removes his shackles and devotes his company to improving the world. His Japanese voice actor is Akio Ōtsuka. His English voice actor is Crispin Freeman in Symphonia and Dave Wittenberg in Dawn of the New World. He was a playable character in Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3.
Emil Castagnier (エミル・キャスタニエ Emiru Kyasutanie?) is a timid person who is constantly apologizing. He lost his parents during the Blood Purge to which Lloyd is held responsible for.[Wii 6] He lives with his uncle and aunt who despises him. When Richter attempts to kill Marta, Emil forms a pact with Tenebrae to become a Knight of Ratatosk (ラタトスクの騎士 Ratatosuku no Kishi?) which grants him Ratatosk's powers; Ratatosk is the Summon Spirit of the previous World Tree and lord of all monsters.[Wii 7] During battle, Ratatosk's personality takes over giving Emil red eyes and an aggressive personality. As he journeys with Marta to gather the Centurion's cores to awaken Ratatosk, Emil discovers he is Ratatosk and that the timid Emil's personality and memories are a fabrication.[Wii 8] He learns that the real Emil Castagnier died in the blood purge and that his physical appearance is an imitation of Aster (アステル Asteru?), Richter's close friend.[Wii 9] When Aster and Richter pleaded with Ratatosk to restore the worlds climate, Ratatosk killed Aster.[Wii 10] Realizing Ratatosk bears a hatred towards humananity for the death of the past World Tree, Emil is unable to trust him and seals away his personality by using Verius, the Summon Spirit of Heart.[Wii 11] When the party confronts Richter to prevent him from opening the door to Niflheim, the world of demons, two outcomes are decided by the player. After Richter's defeat, Emil will either kill himself and have Ratatosk's core act as a seal to Niflheim, or persuade Ratatosk to resume guarding the door. In the latter choice, Ratatosk divides himself into two allowing Emil to live his life.[Wii 12] His Japanese voice actor is Hiro Shimono and his English voice actor is Johnny Yong Bosch. Since his debut, Emil has appeared on all current Tales character popularity polls. Emil has made an appearance in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 and Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave.
Marta Lualdi (マルタ・ルアルディ Maruta Ruarudi?) is the daughter of Brute the leader of the organization known as Vanguard. She lost her mother during the Great Kharlan Tree's rampage in Palmacosta and blames Colette for her death.[Wii 13] During the Blood Purge, she was saved by Ratatosk and is the reason of her initial affection towards Emil. Ratatosk attached a fake Ratatosk core on her forehead to draw his enemies attention away from him and she is accompanied by Tenebrae since then.[Wii 14] Soon after, Marta defects from the Vanguard upon learning of their plans on using Ratatosk's core to destroy Tethe'alla. She is pursued by the Vanguard and is reunited with Ratatosk, now under the Emil personality, during her flight. Together, the three travel around the world to gather Centurions' cores to revive Ratatosk.[Wii 15] Her Japanese voice actress is Rie Kugimiya and her English voice actress is Laura Bailey. She ranked on the fourth Tales character popularity polls. Marta is playable in Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3 and Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave.
Mithos Yggdrasill (ミトス・ユグドラシル Mitosu Yugudorashiru?) is the main antagonist of Tales of Symphonia. He is introduced under his surname as an adult but is able to interchange into his child body since his appearance and growth is controlled by his Exsphere. He was originally a kind hearted person despite the discrimination he faced for being a half elf. Four thousand years prior to the game, he and his companions, Martel, Kratos, and Yuan, ended the war between the countries Sylvarant and Tethe'alla by using the Eternal Sword and splitting the two into different worlds. His plan was to reunite the worlds when the comet known as Derris Kharlan approaches Earth so he can use its mana to germinate the Great Seed into a Giant Kharlan Tree. The humans attempted to monopolize the Great Seed and killed Martel in the process. Daunted by her death, Mithos delays the germination and instead places Martel's soul inside the Great Seed until he can find a new body for her. Her death caused him to gain a strong hatred towards the world and becomes cruel and merciless. Years later, Mithos forms the organization known as Cruxis in order to find a compatible body for Martel and to fulfill his Age of Lifeless Beings plan, a plan where everyone's consciousness will live inside their Exspheres free from their body;[NGC 48] the latter being a twisted interpretation of Martel's last wish.[NGC 49] Mithos' ideas resulted in the deaths and suffering of many people and the party is forced to kill him. His Japanese voice actress as Mithos is Minami Takayama and voice actor Hideyuki Tanaka as Yggdrasill. His English voice actress for Mithos is Brianne Siddall and voice actor James Arnold Taylor as Yggdrasill. In the second Tales character popularity poll, Mithos ranked in the memorable villain category. He made an appearance in Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3.
Cruxis and Desians
Cruxis (クルシス Kurushisu?) is the organization led by Mithos who aims to revive Martel and to complete his Age of Lifeless Beings plan. The organization known as Desians (ディザイアン Dizaian?) work for Cruxis and imprison humans to use to create Exspheres. The members of both groups are half-elves who want revenge against humans for the discrimination they suffered; Cruxis members are given Cruxis Crystals which gives them angel-like wings.[NGC 50] The party is initially led by Remiel[kanji 1] on Collete's World Regeneration. After learning the journey would not save the worlds, Remiel is defeated.
Lloyd's party later encounters and defeats the five Desian Grand Cardinals, which are Cruxis members who manage the Human Ranches. The five Desian Grand Cardinals consist of: [kanji 2], Magnius[kanji 3], Kvar[kanji 4], Rodyle[kanji 5], and Pronyma[kanji 6]. Forcystus, a man who was hailed a hero for killing a group of humans that were leading a massacre on half-elves, is the Grand Cardinal in charge of the Iselia Ranch. Magnius, a corrupt and cruel man, is the Grand Cardinal in charge of the Palmacosta Human Ranch. Kvar, an arrogant and calculating man, is the Grand Cardinal in charge of the Asgard Human Ranch. He pioneered the Angelus Project, which Anna, Lloyd's mother, was a victim of. Rodyle, an ambitious and manipulative scientist, is the Grand Cardinal in charge of the Remote Island Human ranch. He had planned to overthrow Yggdrasill with the use of his creation, the mana cannon.[NGC 51] The final Cardinal, Pronyma, a woman who worships and loves Yggdrasill, is the leader of the five Desian Grand Cardinals. She was killed by Yggdrasill after addressing him as Mithos.Forcystus
Richter Abend (リヒター・アーベント Rihitā Ābento?) the main antagonist of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. He is a half elf and a scientist. When he and Aster tried to persuade Ratatosk to restore the world's climate, Aster was killed and Richter retaliated against Ratatosk.[Wii 16] Tenebrae saves Ratatosk's core before it was destroyed and flees from Richter. Since then, Richter has been researching on how to kill Ratatosk. Since Ratatosk's death would open the door to Niflhiem, allowing demons to enter their world, Richter intends to use his life to seal the door after killing Ratatosk.[Wii 17] When the party confronts Richter at the Ginnungagap, the realm between their world and Niflhiem, Richter uses the demon's powers to confront them but is defeated. Having forced open the seal on the door, Richter remains with Ratatosk at the Ginnungagap to prevent the demons from crossing over.[Wii 18] His Japanese voice actor is Kenji Hamada and his English voice actor is Kyle Hebert. He was a playable character in Tales of VS.
The Vanguard (ヴァンガード Vangādo?) is an organization manipulated by Richter to serve his goals. They are a Sylvarant organization determined to destroy Tethe'alla. To complete their plans, they sent assassins after Marta Lualdi in order to retrieve the Ratatosk core from her. The Vanguard are led by Brute[kanji 7] whose mind has been warped by the Centurion's core, Solum.[Wii 19] Four notable members of the Vanguard are Alice[kanji 8], Decus[kanji 9], Hawk[kanji 10], and Magnar[kanji 11]. Alice is a sadistic young female half-elf and leader of the Vanguard's army's Battle Combat system. She has brainwashed monsters under he control and abuses Decus' feelings towards her in order to have him do her bidding. Eight years prior to the game, Alice's parents were forced on a pilgrimage by the Church of Martel which caused their deaths.[Wii 20] She was then sent to an orphanage where she makes a pact with a demon to save Decus' life after he was framed for a mugging by the orphanage's director; Alice is then freed from the pact by Lloyd's party years later.[Wii 21] Since then, Decus has dedicated his whole life for her.[Wii 22] When Decus is killed by Emil, Alice acknowledges her love for him before she also dies.[Wii 23] The last two members are Hawk, a cowardly and weak man and subordinate of Alice and Decus. He was killed by Brute in a cross fire; and Magnar, a knight who infiltrated the Church of Martel.[Wii 24] After Brute regains his sanity, he disbands the Vanguard.
Martel Yggdrasill (マーテル・ユグドラシル Māteru Yugudorashiru?) is Mithos's older sister and a half-elf. After she died Mithos placed her soul in the Great Seed by using a Cruxis Crystal with the intent of reviving her.[NGC 52] In the present time, Martel is passed down in stories as a goddess by Cruxis which also created a religion to worship her. When Mithos revives Martel through Colette, Martel reprimands him for the cruelty and murder his actions have caused.[NGC 53] The majority of her soul returns to the Great Seed while a part of her inhabits the android Tabatha (タバサ Tabasa?) granting her perfect speech. When the Great Seed is germinated, Martel's souls and Tabatha are taken in and used to create the Summon Spirit for the Giant Kharlan Tree.[NGC 54] Lloyd forms a pact with Martel, promising to protect it, and names the tree Yggdrasill.[NGC 55] Both Martel and Tabatha's Japanese voice actress is Misa Watanabe and their English voice actress is Kim Mai Guest.
Yuan Ka-Fai (ユアン・カーフェイ Yuan Kaafei?) is a half-elf, former high-ranking soldier of Sylvarant, and a companion of Mithos during the Kharlan war. He was engaged to Martel before her death.[NGC 56] He secretly defies Mithos after learning of his plans which is a twisted perception of Martel's last wish and creates the organization called Renegades (レネゲード Renegēdo?) to oppose Cruxis. The Renegades are led by Botta (ボータ Bōta?) in his absence. After learning about Lloyd's existence, Yuan's plan was to blackmail Kratos into releasing Origin. His plan fails and he instead assists the party into forming a pact with Origin which eventually allows Lloyd to wield the Eternal Sword. In Dawn of the New World, he is revealed as the Guardian of the World Tree.[Wii 25] His Japanese voice actor is Toshiyuki Morikawa and his English voice actor is Chris Edgerly.
Noishe (ノイシュ Noishu?) is a Protozoan (プロトゾーン」 Purotozōn?), one of the first organisms born when the elves brought a Giant Kharlan Tree to the planet.[NGC 57] Protozoans go through five evolutions in their lifetime: The first stage is Aquan, a fish-like organism; the second is Aeros, a bird-like creature, and the third stage Arshis, dog-like create, the fourth stage is Fenrilra whose evolution has not been reached yet; and the final stage is a human who fights evil.[NGC 58] They were considered extinct after their usage in the war four thousand years prior.[NGC 59] Noishe is currently an Arshis and has known Kratos for over four thousand years. When Lloyd and Kratos were separated during Kvar's attack, Noishe remains by Lloyd's side and journeys with the party. His Japanese voice actress is Yumi Tōma and English voice actress is Debi Derryberry.
Tenebrae (テネブラエ Teneburae?) is the Centurion of Darkness, an elemental spirit that loyally serves Ratatosk. When Ratatosk was attacked by Richter, Tenebrae saves his core which is eventually transferred to Marta. Since then, he has been journeying with her to gather the Centurion's cores while avoiding the Vanguard. When Ratatosk is awakened from his core during the Blood Purge, Tenebrae is aware Emil is the identity Ratatosk assumed. Months later, Tenebrae calls Emil and forms a pact with him, reawakening a part of his powers.[Wii 26] Before the final confrontation with Richter, Tenebrae deduces Emil's plan to suicide and have Ratatosk's core seal the door to niflheim and keeps it a secret from the party.[Wii 27] His Japanese voice actor is Hōchū Ōtsuka and his English voice actor is Christopher Corey Smith. In the fifth and sixth Tales series character popularity polls, Tenebrae ranked in the mascot category.
Aqua (アクア Akua?) is the Centurion of Water. She was the one who lead Aster and Richter to Ratatosk's location. After witnessing Ratatosk kill Aster and swear revenge against humanity, she journeys with Richter who plans on saving the world by killing Ratatosk and sacrificing himself to seal niflheim.[Wii 28] Her Japanese voice actress is Yōko Honda and her English voice actress is Wendee Lee.
Notes and references
- レミエル Remieru
- フォシテス Foshitesu
- マグニス Magunisu
- クヴァル Kuvaru
- ロディル Rodiru
- プロネーマ Puronēma
- ブルート Burūto
- アリス Arisu
- デクス Dekusu
- ホーク Hōku
- マーグナー Māgunā
- "Tales of Symphonia Release Dates". GameSpot. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Release Dates". GameSpot. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- End game credits from Namco Tales Studio (July 13, 2004). Tales of Symphonia. Nintendo Gamecube. Namco.
- End game credits from Namco Tales Studio (November 11, 2008). Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Wii. Namco Bandai Games.
- "Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World voice cast". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Tales character popularity results 2" (in Japanese). Namco Bandai Games. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Tales character popularity results 3" (in Japanese). Namco Bandai Games. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Tales Channel 4th ranking result". Namco-ch.net. Archived from the original on May 26, 2009. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Tales Channel 5th ranking result". Namco-ch.net. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "Tales Channel 6th ranking result". Namco-ch.net. Archived from the original on July 8, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- "Tales character popularity results" (in Japanese). Namco-ch.net. Archived from the original on July 5, 2012. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- "Tales Channel 6th category ranking result". Namco-ch.net. Archived from the original on July 8, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Namco Tales Studio (August 5, 2007). Tales of Fandom Vol.2. PlayStation 2. Namco.
- Wallace, Kimberley (December 21, 2012). "The Best Tales Characters" (in Japanese). Game Informer. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Tales of Symphonia Official Scenario Book (in Japanese), Namco Bandai Games, June 26, 2008, ISBN 978-4-902372-17-5
- Tales of Symphonia (A Long Time Ago) (Compact Disc) (in Japanese). Frontier Works. September 24, 2004. FCCT-0018.
- "Tales Channel 5th ranking category results". Namco-ch.net. Archived from the original on July 5, 2012. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Primary references
- Raine: Today is the Day of Prophecy. It is a very important day, which the Chosen of Mana will receive an oracle from the Goddess Martel. Now, Chosen One…Colette. Tell us about the journey of world regeneration. /Colette: It is a journey to seal the Desians. Upon passing the trials of the Goddess Martel, the Summon Spirits that protect the world awaken, and mana is restored.
- Raine: Then the Chosen’s world regeneration is actually the process of reversing the mana flow? /Sheena: Exactly. When the Chosen breaks the seal, the mana flow reverses, and the Summon Spirit that governs the seal awakens.
- Lloyd: I've been thinking about that for a long time. Someone asked me why I came all the way to Tethe'alla… what it is that I want to do. I want a world where everyone can have a normal life. I'm tired of people having to become sacrifices. I'm tired of discrimination. I'm tired of people becoming victims. I'm tired of it all.
- Dirk: That Exsphere is your mother’s keepsake. The Desians killed your mother in order to take it from her. /Lloyd: They did? /Dirk: I told you about how I found you at the cliff near the ranch, right? Your mother was still conscious at that time, so she explained everything. There’s no doubt about it.
- Lloyd: So about tomorrow…I can’t come along with you, can I? /Colette: Well, it’s just that the Desians will be after us and it’s going to be a dangerous journey. /Lloyd: Desians…up till now. I always thought my mom died in an accident. …But she was murdered by Desians! Now that I know the truth, there’s no way that I could keep living in a village that has a treaty with them.
- Kvar: That Exsphere is without a doubt the product of my Angelus Project! [...] Kvar: Hmm, you don't know anything, do you? That Exsphere was cultured on host body A012, human name, Anna—your mother. She took it and escaped from the facility. Of course, she paid for her crime with her life.
- Dirk: So you want me to forge the Ring of the Pact? [...] /Lloyd: With this, I’ll be able to use the Eternal Sword, right?
- [Lloyd pulls the Eternal Sword out of its pedestal. The Eternal Sword becomes a ball of light, splits into two, and fuses with his Material Blade]
- Martel: Then Lloyd, on behalf of all living things, I want you to give this tree a new name, as a proof of the pact./Lloyd: What?/Martel: The Giant Kharlan Tree was planted here by the elves when they first came, as a guardian to watch over and protect them. This newly reborn tree protects elves, humans and the lives of all who have caught in between. Therefore, this tree requires a new name.
- Raine: I promised Colette I wouldn’t say anything. Colette will give up her life in order to regenerate the world. Becoming an angel means dying.
- Lloyd: Colette is growing closer to becoming an angel. Now, she can’t sleep or feel hot or cold or pain or anything. She can’t even cry! Becoming an angel means losing her humanity!
- Kratos: Not only did she lose her memory, but she has lost the soul to listen to your words. Now Colette is merely a puppet standing before death’s door.
- Researcher: Cruxis Crystals are thought to be evolved forms of Exspheres. [...] / Raine: In which case, the ritual of releasing the seals may be promoting the fusion with the Cruxis Crystal. [...] / Zelos: Then, if she had a Key Crest, she’d return to normal, right? Researcher: Yes, she should be able to freely control the Cruxis Crystal if she had a Key Crest.
- Raine: It says it's called, "Chronic Angelus Crystallus Inofficium." Just like the Altessa's diagnosis. It's an illness that causes the entire body to become a Cruxis Crystal.
- Genis: So in other words, we need a Mana Fragment, Zircon, and a Unicorn Horn, right? /Raine: And a Mana Leaf Herb. Then, we make something called a Rune Crest, and attaching that to the Key Crest will suppress the crystal’s activity.
- Lloyd: I will atone for what I've done. I swear to protect Colette for the sake of those who have died because of me. /Genis: I'll follow you, Lloyd. It's my fault that you were banished. So I promise to stick by you, always. /Lloyd: Say, Genis. Why don’t you use that Exsphere? That’s Marble’s memento.
- Lloyd: Is this Mithos’ Cruxis Crystal?/ Genis: I’m sorry. I picked it up in the Tower of Salvation, but I just couldn’t bring myself to destroy it. I took it with me. I thought, I’d at least show him the regenerated world.
- Kratos: I am of Cruxis, the organization that guides this world. I am one of the Four Seraphim, sent forth to keep close watch over the Chosen.
- Elder Elf: The ones who betrayed Origin and used the power of the magic sword given by Origin to split the world in two, were none other than Mithos and his companions. Mithos Yggdrasill, his older sister Martel, and their companions, Yuan and Kratos. The four angels changed the nature of the world, and that is why their names are taboo in Heimdall.
- Lloyd: Zelos, you heard about the ring from Kratos, didn't you? /Zelos: He…he knew everything. That humans can't use the Eternal Sword, the details of Colette's sickness, the way to make the Eternal Ring, everything.
- Lloyd: Where's my dad? If you've done anything to my dad, I'll tear every last one of you to pieces!/Yuan: Now, now, is that the way to act when you're about to meet your father for the first time?/Kratos: So it was you. You were the assassin who tried to kill me at Hima./Yuan: Kratos. If you value your son's life at all, do as we say.
- Lloyd: Are you really going to Derris-Kharlan?/Kratos: If a half-elf of Cruxis remains here, the other half-elves will have no place to live. As a surviving member of Cruxis, I must bear the responsibility for what has happened.
- Kratos: Like Presea, Anna was a research subject of the Angelus Project. They were trying to create a Cruxis Crystal inside her body. When I learned of Mithos' plan to create an Age of Lifeless Beings, I turned against him and descended upon this land, where I met Anna. [...] After meeting Anna, I realized my mistake in believing that accepting Mithos' vision would be the fastest route to reunite the worlds. I began to search for a way for a human to wield the Eternal Sword.
- Kratos: Yes. However, Anna and I were pursued by Cruxis. We traveled from place to place, and when you were born, with you as well, but we were finally caught by Kvar. [...] Her Exsphere was removed. Lacking a Key Crest, the mana in her body went out of control, and she turned into a monster.
- Kratos:After that, Kvar attacked, then you and Noishe fell down the cliff along with the Exsphere. I fought off Kvar and his men, and descended the cliff, but all that was left were the Desian corpses, half-eaten by monsters. I thought there was no way you could still be alive.
- Tethe'allan Man: There are huge rocks all over it. You can't miss it. But tonight's a full moon. If the legend is true, then the gate will open and you'll be sucked into the world of Sylvarant!
- Lloyd: So the reason you were interested in old ruins was…/Raine: I was searching for the images from my childhood. Heimdall, the Otherworldly Gate…everything was over here, in Tethe'alla.
- Virginia's Diary The Otherworldly gate has opened. Raine, Genis, please forgive your powerless mother. Surely even the Imperial Research Academy will not follow you to Sylvarant. This must be a better choice than to spend your life in that damp, filthy dungeon like a slave. Please, make your way to freedom.
- Altessa: What are you going to do? Go back to Iselia? /Raine:No, we're going out to visit new lands. /Genis: We're going around the world to try and make it easier for half-elves to be accepted.
- Corrine in Danger skit
- Genis: Now that you mention it, you did say you could use summoning techniques. Are you a summoner?/Sheena: I'm a guardian user! …But I can summon, too./Raine: I'd heard that art of summoning was lost a very long time ago./Sheena: Well, it still exists. Anyway, if you're not interested, I'm not going to force you.
- Tiga: Sheena failed to form a pact with Volt once before. That is the reason why the Chief is in a coma. [...] /Zelos: It’s a pretty famous incident. A quarter of Mizuho’s population died. She puts on a strong face, but she’s really alone in this village. Go cheer her up, man.
- Next Chief skit
- Zelos: We'll send an emissary of peace to Iselia. [...] How about Sheena from Mizuho? She's already involved.
- Zelos: If these guys don’t go back to Sylvarant, then it doesn’t matter if they’re alive or dead. They can’t complete the regeneration ritual. So I’ll go along and keep tabs on them.
- Zelos: My mother probably loved somebody else. But because of the oracle from Cruxis, she had to marry the Chosen at the time—my father. And the old man had another woman as well. I'm not saying I still think that way now, but all my life, I've been rejected by my parents, shunned by the Church, and viewed as a threat by the royal family I just wanted to run away. [...] Even now, to tell the truth, I get tired of all the problems. Sometimes I think it’d be easier if everyone and everything were just destroyed.
- Zelos: The magic that killed my mother was meant for me. [...] They targeted me because I was the next Chosen. My mother was caught in the crossfire. As she fell, she grabbed my shoulder and told me, "You should never have been born."
- Zelos: The one who tried to kill me was Seles' mother. They executed her and Seles was placed under house arrest in the abbey.
- Zelos: I side with the strongest. It was a simple matter of weighing the Renegades, Cruxis, and all of you. /Sheena: You were leaking information to the Renegades, too?! I can't believe you! You were always a pervert, but I never doubted that you were a good person when it came down to it.
- Presea: I have a younger sister. She left to go into service for a noble and that was the last I saw of her. And my mommy died when I was a child.
- Presea: I wanted to save my sick daddy. I wanted to learn how to wield an ax, so I could work in my daddy's place. So Vharley introduced me to Rodyle, and I was taken to the Research Academy in Sybak.
- Alicia: I’m finally myself again. Time is finally starting to flow again from that night sixteen years ago. You know what? I’m twenty-eight years old now.
- Regal:My name is Regal Bryant. I was granted the title of Duke by His Highness, and also the president of Lezareno Company.
- Regal: Alicia and I were in love. /George: Then I, his servant, interfered and forced them apart. /Regal: Alicia was handed over to Vharley. He wanted to use her in an Exsphere experiment.
- Alicia: Master Regal…please…kill me!/Regal: I…I can't. I could never kill you with my own hands!/Alicia: It's because I love you that I want you to do it!
- George: Master Regal confessed to killing Alicia and went to prison on his own will. /Regal: While I was in prison, the Pope promised to arrest Vharley in exchange for kidnapping Colette. I believed him and agreed to do it.
- Lloyd: Genis and I once experienced the same thing you did. And I also imagined what it must have been like…for my dad. When my mom turned into a monster, and he struck her down, he must have suffered as well./Regal: Your father did the same thing? /Lloyd: That’s what I heard. I don’t know if the decisions you or my dad made were correct, but I don’t think my mom would have wanted my dad to punish himself and live the way you have. /Regal: Is that true? /Alicia: Yes. It’s just as he says. At least, I don’t want you to live like that. /Regal: All right. But I will never use these hands as tools of death. I swear that to you. To you and to Lloyd. And once we have defeated those who use Exspheres to toy with people’s lives, I shall remove these bonds.
- Yggdrasill: People fear and hate what is not normal. They are scared of those that are different. Then the solution is for everyone to become the same. By using the Exspheres to eliminate the different bloods that flow through elves and humans, everyone on this earth will become the same lifeless beings. Discrimination will vanish. That is the grand age I strive for.
- Lloyd: You…didn’t approve of Mithos’ Age of Half-elves? /Yuan: That plan was the result of a twisted perception of Martel’s last wish. It’s not what she truly desired. /Colette: What was Martel’s last wish? /Yuan: She said she wanted to see a world free from discrimination.
- Yuan: The Church of Martel is nothing more than an instrument created by Cruxis to rule the world. Those who call themselves angels are half-elves, who've evolved by using a special type of Exsphere called Cruxis Crystals. They aren't gods or anything of the sort. Of course, the Church of Martel and the Chosen know nothing about that.
- Rodyle: Who cares about the lives of pathetic inferior beings?! The Mana Cannon will be completed once I get the Cruxis Crystal. With Thor's Hammer in my possession, Yggdrasill and Cruxis will beg for my mercy!
- Yuan: By using the power of a Cruxis Crystal, Martel's soul lives on, existing as a part of the Great Seed.
- Martel: I’ve been watching all this time. Unable to move, unable to do anything, I watched all those foolish things you’ve done. Have you forgotten everything? We stopped the Ancient War because we dreamt of a world where humans, elves, and those in between could live in harmony.
- Martel: I am Martel, and also the incarnation of the Great Seed itself. Lloyd, your hope as well as those of many others, resurrected me./Lloyd: So you're Mithos' sister?!/Martel: No. Mithos' sister Martel, is one of the many source within me. I am Mana, and I am the Giant Tree. I am a symbol of the many lives sacrificed to the Great Seed. I am the new spirit born to accompany the Giant Tree. And now the Seed has awakened anew along with me.
- Martel: This is the future form of the Giant Tree. Right now, it is only a small seedling. In its current rate, the tree will wither and die. /Lloyd: Well then, how do we protect it?! /Martel: You must provide the tree with love and adoration. As long as those conditions are met, I shall always protect the seedling. /Lloyd: I promise! If the tree starts to wither, I’ll make sure, we won’t let it die! /Martel: Then Lloyd, on behalf of all living things, I want you to give this tree a new name, as a proof of the pact.
- Yuan: I'm just looking for a ring! [...] /Lloyd: I found a ring in Hima. It had some complicated looking letters on it. /Raine: Let me see it. These are ancient Elven letters... Let's see... swear... true love...Mar. The rest is worn out and I can't read it. But it's an engagement ring. [...] Yuan: The ring is very important to me. Please give it back. I beg of you. /Sheena: Are you and Martel...? Yuan: Thank you for returning my ring. Farewell. /Lloyd: What about Yuan and Martel? [...] /Sheena: They were in love, maybe even married.
- Noishe in Danger Skit
- Elf Elder: Protozoans are born as single-cell life forms. In the first stage they evolve into a creature known as an Aquan. [...] A life form that looks much like a fish. After that, it evolves into a bird-like life form called Aeros, and then into a life form that runs on land called Arshis. Then next, into a Fenrilra, and finally into a human who hunts evil.
- Elf Elder: However, because of their abilities, they were used in battles during the Ancient War and became extinct.
- Namco Tales Studio (November 11, 2008). Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Wii. Namco Bandai Games.
- Library Synopsis Entry 23 Emil: That was when I first learned the truth about the Blood Purge where Palmacosta was attacked by the Church of Martel, and my parents and many others were brutally murdered. I had believed the attack occurred because the Vanguard was holding a meeting in Palmacosta, and that was indeed correct. However, the purpose of that meeting was so they could launch a rebellion against the Church of Martel by using Ratatosk's core. Lloyd then led the Martel Knights into the city under the pretext of quelling the rebellion (though his real reason was that he planned to steal Ratatosk's core), and they killed many innocent people. My parents never did anything to deserve what happened to them.
- Library Synopsis Entry 163 Marta: He says that Emil is indeed the Summon Spirt Ratatosk, and that Lloyd had been working to stop Ratatosk from eradicating humanity. But he hadn't been trying to kill Ratatosk. On the contrary, if Ratatosk were to die, the door in Ginnungagap would open, and this would become the demonic realm, Niflheim. So Lloyd and Yuan had planned to seal Ratatosk alive in the Ginnungagap instead. To do that, they needed the Centurions' and Ratatosk's cores. Lloyd didn't tell this plan to anyone, because he didn't want Ratatosk to find out about it. Ratatosk has a wide ranging network of monsters, and he didn't know where they might be listening. They could only discuss the plan here at the World Tree, were Ratatosk has no influence.
- Colette:So Lloyd hasn't stopped by here either.
- Brother and Sister skit
- Kratos: It seems we've finally reached the limit of the communication range. From this point onward, we'll be swallowed up in the vast darkness of space. /Yuan: Then this is our final farewell. Are you sure you don't want Lloyd to know? /Kratos: There's no need. Lloyd and I said our goodbyes before I left there. My place is in the past. I'm counting on you to look after the World Tree.
- Emil:You think Lloyd is a hero but that's not true. He attacked Palmacosta. He killed both of my parents.
- Tenebrae: Lord Ratatosk is not a demon lord. He was a summon spirit of the Great Tree of old, and is the lord of all monsters.
- Emil: Am I really Ratatosk? I still can't believe it. /Tenebrae: It's only natural that it wouldn't seem real to you. Your current personality is a fabrication put together by Lord Ratatosk. Lord Ratatosk's own memories are kept by the side all of you know as his "Ratatosk Mode."
- Library Synopsis Entry 169 Emil: I don't know why I chose Aster as my human form. Perhaps when Marta summoned me, and I had to be reborn as a human, I simply went with the form of the last human I had seen before entering my core state.
- Library Synopsis Entry 158 Emil: Aster was calling out to me, calling me Ratatosk. Beside him stood Richter. The two of them had come to ask me—to ask Ratatosk—to restore the balance of mana in order to end the strange weather fluctuations. I had only just awakened, and despised the humans and the half-elves who had destroyed the Giant Kharlan Tree that had been my host. So I wanted to have then destroyed. Aster tried to stop me. As if swatting a bug, I killed him.
- Sheena: Emil, what happened? I felt Corrine's — Verius' presence. /Lloyd: So that would mean that you've made up your mind? Emil: Yes. I had Verius seal away Ratatosk's personality.
- Ricther: Since you're capable of diving into both a core and a physical body…Perhaps you could separate into two forms, Emil and Ratatosk, and live that way. If necessary, you could live off my body [...] Tenebrae: We centurions and monsters would be happy to carry out that task, under your orders of course. As long as you stay in contact, there's no issue with dividing yourself in two forms. [...] Verius: Ratatosk, your heart has spoken. It wishes you to live the life that Aster, who died at your hands, could not. I am prepared to carry out that wish for you.
- Marta:My mother was in Palmacosta when the giant tree attacked! You call yourself the "Chosen"?! You're nothing more than a coward! How dare you! If you hadn't run away, my mother would still be alive.
- Library Synopsis Entry 159 Emil: But Tenebrae told me that the core on Marta's forehead is a fake designed to draw the attention of Ratatosk's enemies to Marta. If that's true, then that's totally despicable! I was using Marta as a decoy to protect myself.
- Library Synopsis Entry 20 Emil: Ratatosk's core is the jewel on Marta's forehead, and Marta also wants Ratatosk to awaken so she can remove the core from her forehead. However, Ratatosk can't wake up until we first wake all of the Centurions who serve him. This is the reason that Marta and Tenebrae are on a journey to find all of the Centurions' cores.
- Ratatosk: Even if my powers are still weak from just waking, a mere mortal wounding me? Richter: Die!
- Tenebrae: The demons are using all the power they have to open the door! /Richter: Here use this. /Lloyd: What the—That's the Sacred Stone! Richter: Yes, that's right. The stone that turns the mana in your body into flames. Mana is a toxic poison to demons. It will help keep the door closed for a while. /Lloyd: But why do you have it? /Richter: I sent someone out to the hidden village of the elves to get it for me. If you use it along with the Cruxis Crystal held by the Chosen, then it's possible to seal this door without Ratatosk being present. /Lloyd: The Chosen's Cruxis Crystal has the ability to stop its host's internal clock, and grant them eternal life. You were willing to burn your own body's mana for all eternity and become a human sacrifice in order to guard this oor. /Richter: Yes, because that way Aster could come back to life, Ratatosk would die, and the door would be protected. The world would be saved.
- Emil: The ancient seal on the door is no longer working since another being forced it open. /Richter: That would be my fault. It looks like I'll need to go ahead with my original plan to seal the door with my own mana.
- Brute: Richter was the one who told me. He said that we could free the Sylvaranti people with the mana cannon. He told me to become their king. It sounds so ridiculous now. Why did I agree? Ever since he handed me Solum's core, my memory, it's all so hazy.
- Alice: What'll the Church of Martel do for me? Will it bring my parents back to life? Will it bring back my mother and father killed by monsters while on a pilgrimage forced by the church?
- Decus: There was this group of adventurers. One of them was killed, and his valuables were stolen. They blamed me. The real culprits were the orphanage director and his sons, but no one would listen to me. [...] The others lynched me and were about to kill me. No one in the orphanage so much as lifted a finger, but then monsters attacked. [...] Decus: Alice made a pact with one such demon. She agreed to find the Forbidden Tome of the Demon Lords, in exchange for the demon's power. /Lloyd: You mean the book demon lords were sealed inside? /Decus: Or so they say. The demon who helped Alice was the servant of a demon lord sealed into the book by the Hero Mithos. However, the demon passed away leaving its bones behind, and Alice was freed. But at the same time, she lost the ability to control monsters, which is why she has to rely on machines to do it for her. /Raine: The weaker demons must've been destroyed by mana when we burned the forbidden book, severing the connection to the demon lords.
- Decus: If not for Alice, I'd be dead right now. The rest of my life belongs to her.
- Decus: Alice... you always said that that I disgust you, but I... I love you. /Alice: Decus! Oh Decus, I love you too. I do. I really do love you! [...] Decus, don't worry. I'll be with you again soon. Soon, we'll be together.
- Emil: Magnar? Why's he here? Isn't he with the Church of Martel? /Tenebrae: It seems he was only pretending to be a Martel Knight. The incidents in Luin and Palmacosta were most likely part of an elaborate scheme to cast blame on the Church of Martel.
- Raine: Yuan! So you're the guardian of the World Tree.
- Emil: That howl. Were you the one calling me? /Tenebrae: Lady Marta was looking for you. You saved her life and she has chosen you to be a knight. Emil: Me? /Tenebrae: Now forge the pact!
- Tenebrae: If I'm wrong please forgive me, but you didn't actually make up your mind to protect the gate as Ratatosk, did you? You regret having killed Aster, so you intend to somehow turn yourself back into a core, and become a lock on the door.
- Tenebrae: Why did you decide to side with Richter and betray us?Aqua: Because I want to help Master Richter avenge his friend. Master Richter and Aster first learned about Lord Ratatosk through their research of Summon Spirits. They found me, and told me that they had wanted to advise Lord Ratatosk about the Centurions losing control. I brought them to the Ginnungagap, to the door to the demonic realm, just beyond here. But Lord Ratatosk simply refused to listen to what Master Richter and Aster had to say. I couldn't believe it... Instead he lashed out at them because of his hatred of mankind! He killed Aster, and Master Richter was gravely wounded. [...] Lord Ratatosk ordered us to annihilate mankind. How can you possibly help him?