Miu Miu is a high fashion brand of women's clothing and accessories from the Prada fashion house. Miu Miu opened in 1993 and is headed by Miuccia Prada. The name of the collection is taken from her nickname. Miu Miu is set to launch its first fragrance in 2015. This is the first time that Miu Miu has expanded outside the fashion and accessories markets.
There are Miu Miu boutiques situated in Paris, Milano, Firenze, Rome, Venezia, Forte dei Marmi, Porto Cervo, Bologna, Cannes, Casablanca, London, Glasgow, Madrid, Zurich, St. Moritz, Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Vienna, Lisbon, Moscow, Istanbul, New York, New Jersey, Boston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Costa Mesa, Bal Harbour, Beverly Hills, São Paulo, Honolulu, Melbourne, Jakarta, Singapore, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Taipei, Taichung, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka, Yokohama, Hiroshima, Macau, Busan, Bangalore, Seoul, Sydney, Incheon and Rio de Janeiro. Miu Miu also opened its first independent store in China in the MIX in the city of Shenzhen in 2009.
A new North American store will open in Houston, Texas, in The Galleria during the summer of 2011 and in Short Hills, New Jersey, in fall of 2011. Miu Miu has also opened their first Australian boutique at Chadstone Shopping Centre in Melbourne. A second will open at Westfield Sydney in 2011
In 2012 Miu Miu launched The Women's Tales, partnering with high-profile female directors to create silent short films that featured Miu Miu clothing.
Since 2010, Miu Miu, owned and operated by Miuccia Prada has been asked for social responsibility on the sexual harassment and gender discrimination case. The case was reported by a former Prada and Miu Miu executive relocated from New York to Tokyo, Rina Bovrisse graduated from Parsons School of Design in New York and during her 18-year fashion career, worked at some of the world’s largest luxury fashion companies, including Chanel Inc. and Prada USA. On August 2010, Prada was reviewed on gender discrimination case by UN Women CEDAW Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women.
On March 14, 2013, a counter report of Prada in violating women's rights was reported to Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. On May 17, 2013, a statement against sexual harassment and gender discrimination at workplace was released by the UN Committee.
In April–August 2013, Change.org, an American certified online petition against Miuccia Prada was collected over 200K signatures around the world for countersuing a victim for voicing against sexual harassment damaged brand image.
On May 28, 2013, The UN has backed former Prada employee Rina Bovrisse over the sexual harassment and discrimination case of Prada. Vogue launched a news article, "Prada Vs The UN" with a comment, "Anyone who buys from the Prada and Miu Miu brands are supporting a culture of discrimination and power harassment."
Spokes-models for the brand have included:
- Laetitia Casta
- Kirsten Dunst
- Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Katie Holmes
- Ginta Lapina
- Lindsay Lohan
- Vanessa Paradis
- Chloë Sevigny
- Siri Tollerod
- Lindsey Wixson
- Zhou Xun
- Jessica stam
- Parisa Farajpour
In May 2011, Miu Miu appointed the (then only fourteen-year-old) actress Hailee Steinfeld to be the new younger face of the brand. For the 2012 campaign, a 34-year-old, U.S. model Guinevere Van Seenus was chosen.
- "PRADA GROUP". A History Of Innovation. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- Constance C. R. White (1998-09-15). "Once a Private Club, Prada Opens Its Doors". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- Lisa Niven (2013-10-30). "The Scent Of Miu Miu". British Vogue.
- "miu miu – welcome to Shenzhen". Glass Magazine. 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "Luxury brands make Chadstone home". Ragtrader. 2009-08-17. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- Sowray, Bibby (2012-08-31). " Fashion shoots". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- "Prada Wears Devil in Eyes of This ‘Ugly' Woman: William Pesek". Bloomberg.
- Leibowitz, Lauren (2013-04-24). "Prada Employee Fought Back, And So Did Prada". Huffington Post.
- "Confirmed: Katie Holmes for Miu Miu". Grazia. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- "Of the Minute: That Girl". models.com. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- Isabel Wilkinson (2011-05-16). "Hailee Steinfeld as Miu Miu's New Muse". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Hailee Steinfeld: The New Face of Miu Miu!". E! Online. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Maybe she was just too young? Miu Miu replaces campaign star Hailee Steinfeld, 14, with model 20 years her senior". Daily Mail (London).
- Official website
- Miu Miu – brand and company profile at Fashion Model Directory
- Short info about Miu Miu Fashion Shows, Runway Collections and Fashion Tv