|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Stable release||1.11.0 / May 9, 2013|
|License||GPL (free software)|
Mixxx is an open source computer program for DJing music. The software is specifically suited to the style of mixing known as beatmatching. Mixxx is cross-platform, natively supports most common music file formats, and can be controlled with MIDI and HID controllers.
The project was started in early 2001 for a doctoral thesis as one of the first digital DJing systems. Today it is a polished application that is downloaded over one million times annually and includes many features common to digital DJ solutions as well as some unique ones: It natively supports advanced MIDI and HID DJ controllers, is licensed under the GPL (v2.0 or later) and runs on all major desktop operating systems. As of Mixxx 1.10.0, over 100 developers and artists have helped create Mixxx.
Audio file support
Mixxx can read most popular audio formats, including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WAVE, AIFF and FLAC. v1.8 introduces a plug-in system to be able to read other formats, including patent-encumbered ones whose decoders cannot legally be distributed in binary form with Mixxx such as M4A/AAC/MP4. Any such plug-ins are automatically loaded at run-time if present.
Audio API/hardware support
Mixxx supports ASIO, WASAPI and DirectSound on Windows, OSS, ALSA, and JACK on Linux, and CoreAudio on Mac OS X, all via PortAudio. This means that any sound device that is supported by the operating system is usable in Mixxx.
Controller hardware support
Standard analog turntables and CD players are also supported via the vinyl control sub-system which is built on xwax. This enables turntables and CD players to control digital music through the use of time coded media.
Mac App Store
Mixxx is one of the first free and open-source applications available in the Mac App Store. In less than 48 hours since it went live in February 2011 Mixxx has become the #1 Top Free App in the USA, Germany, and Italy. 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mixxx.|
- Official website
- Mixxx development blog
- Mixxx in Launchpad
- DidJiX, a live Linux distribution focused on Mixxx
- James, Daniel. "Drafting Digital Media". Apress, 2009, p. 213.
- Digital Dj Tips: "Get Your Mixxx for Free!" 14 October 2010, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- Skratchworx: "Mixxx with 3 Xs - one for each supported OS" 7 Aug 2009, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- Mixxx Wiki, hardware compatibility page. Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011.
- Create Digital Music: "Turntablism in the Digital Age: DJ Jungleboy with Stanton SCS.3d; Open Scratch Scripting" Section: "Open Source SCS.3d Scripting?" Jun 9 2009, retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- Mixxx blog: App store availability announcement 18 February 2011, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011
- MusicRadar.com: "Free Mixxx DJing app hits number one in the Mac App Store" 22 February 2011, Retrieved on 4 Nov 2011