Plaza Real, Mizner's main street
|Location||Boca Raton, Florida, U.S.|
|Address||327 Plaza Real|
|Opening date||January 11, 1991|
L. L. C.
|Management||General Growth Properties, Inc.|
|Owner||General Growth Properties, Inc.|
|Architect||Cooper Carry & Associates, Inc.|
|No. of stores and services||40+|
|No. of anchor tenants||2|
|Total retail floor area||398,000 square feet (37,000 m2)|
|No. of floors||1|
Mizner Park is an upscale lifestyle center in downtown Boca Raton, Florida. Besides upscale shops, Mizner is also composed of rental apartments and offices. The Centre for the Arts at Mizner Park is a cultural center on the north end of the development, which is embodied by an amphitheater and the Boca Raton Museum of Art. Lord & Taylor operates its only Florida location at Mizner Park. Cooper Carry designed the architecture of Mizner as a Mediterranean revival town center.
Previously, the site of Mizner Park was a conventional enclosed shopping center called Boca Mall, which opened in 1974. Boca Mall was originally anchored by Britt's and Jefferson Ward. The former closed in 1982 and was temporarily occupied by IBM offices until 1985, when it was converted to Levitz Furniture. In 1989, Levitz relocated and Jefferson Ward closed. The closure of these anchors led to the mall's demolition and redevelopment.
Mizner Park opened in 1992, expanding in 1996 with a Jacobson's department store. Jacobson's closed in July 2002 after the chain declared bankruptcy, and its location became Robb & Stucky Interiors in 2003. After Robb & Stucky also declared bankruptcy, its store was closed as well. The building became Lord & Taylor in 2013. The store marked that chain's return to Florida after a ten-year absence.
Crocker Partners, the developer of Mizner originally intended for a similar project, the McNulty Building, to be built on a more compressed site at Federal Highway and Palmetto Park Road. To this day, a parking lot occupies the space.
Art sculpture of an anthropomorphic pelican
- Valley, Matthew (1 May 2002). "THE REMALLING OF AMERICA". National Real Estate Investor. Retrieved 20 April 2007.
- Stokes, Stephanie (28 March 1985). "Boca Raton mall lands second anchor store". Boca Raton news. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- Tompkins, Wayne; Carl Herzog (14 October 1988). "Boca Mall loses 5 stores, 2 to Village Market". Boca Raton News. Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- Heimlich, Cheryl Kane (25 November 1996). "Jacobson's pulls off Mizner Park opening without a hitch". South Florida Business Journal. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Bushouse, Kathy (28 March 2003). "Mizner Gets 2 New Top Stores". Orlando Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- King, Dale M. (8 June 2011). "Boca Raton losing two furniture stores to bankruptcy". The Boca Raton Tribune. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Lord & Taylor to open in Mizner Park". The Real Deal. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 24 May 2012.
- Valverde, Miriam (28 June 2013). "Lord & Taylor begins Florida revival in Boca Raton". Orlando Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Wesley, Sandra (17 October 1982). "What will downtown plan change in Boca Raton?". Boca Raton News. Retrieved 14 July 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mizner Park.|
- Mizner Park official website
- Centre for the Arts at Mizner Park official website
- Cooper Carry: Mizner Park