Mobberley is a semi-rural village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, situated between Wilmslow and Knutsford. Mobberley railway station lies on the Manchester to Northwich and Chester line and was opened on 12 May, 1862 by the Cheshire Midland Railway which was absorbed by the Cheshire Lines Committee on 15 August 1867. Manchester Airport is located to the north. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 2,546.
Mobberley is best known as the home of the Mallory family: George Mallory (1886–1924), a mountaineer who died attempting Mount Everest, and Air Chief Marshall Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory were both born in Mobberley. Their father, The Rev. Herbert Leigh Mallory, was rector of Mobberley.
The church was mainly constructed around 1245. It was until recently dedicated to both St Wilfrid & St Mary although in recent years St Mary has been "dropped".
Its previous organ was once owned by Sir Charles Halle & was rebuilt about 25 years ago. It has just been removed & replaced after the oil heating was left on at full blast and destroyed it, by a modern electonic one. The church has survived nearly 800 years without one, but now there is a toilet where the organ pipes were & a very loud PA system in this historic building.
Mobberley has seen a lot of change demographically in recent years, first the opening of the nearby M56 from Manchester to Chester and then the second, lightly used, runway at Manchester airport. This has led to Mobberley becoming largely a dormitory village of Manchester, dominated by Rangerovers & electronic gates. Mobberley is well covered by pubs.
There is also a 9 hole golf course.
 Notable People
- Sylvio Campos - Manchester City and Brazil defender.
- George Mallory - English mountaineer, who died in his attempt to be the first to reach the summit of Mount Everest
- Trafford Leigh-Mallory, Commander-in-Chief of RAF Fighter Command in World War II
- Dave Dee, vocalist in 60's hit recording group - "Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich" (formerly Dave Dee & The Bostons)
 See also
 Notes and references
Media related to Mobberley at Wikimedia Commons
- Mobberley Village In Cheshire: Community WebSite. Retrieval Date: October 12, 2007.
- www.mobberley.info. Retrieval Date: October 12, 2007.
- Mobberley Victory Hall Memorial Club: Community Hall Website. Retrieval Date: October 12, 2007.
- Mobberley Pre-School Website. Retrieval Date: October 12, 2007.
- Mobberley CE Primary School Website. Retrieval Date: October 12, 2007.
- Ringheye Morris of Mobberley
- St. Wilfrid's Parish Church Website. Retrieval Date: October 12, 2007.
|This Cheshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|