|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2006)|
Mobile-device testing function to assure the quality of mobile devices, like mobile phones, PDAs, etc. The testing will be conducted on both hardware and software. And from the view of different procedures, the testing comprises R&D testing, factory testing and certificate testing.
Mobile-device testing involves a set of activities from monitoring and trouble shooting mobile application, content and services on real handsets. Testing includes verification and validation of hardware devices and software applications.
Developing applications for the Android platform is a complicated business. You have to test with multiple operating system versions, hardware vendor interface layers, hardware configurations, and network capabilities. The testing matrix for Android-based applications can be a serious challenge, impacting your product's quality, time-to-market, and in the end, profitability.
Automation key features
- Add application/product space.
- Create test builds for application/product.
- Associate test builds with application/product space.
- Add your own remote devices, by getting a small service app installed on them.
- Record test cases/scripts/data on a reference device/emulator.
- Associate test cases/scripts/data with application/product space.
- Maintain test cases/scripts/data for each application/product.
- Select devices/emulators to run your test scripts.
- Get test results e-mailed to you (after completing the entire run, the fixed number of steps, and after every X units of time) – PDF format supported currently.
Listed companies like Keynote Systems, Capgemini Consulting and Mobile Applications and Handset testing company Intertek and QA companies like PASS Technologies AG, Northway Solutions Group and InfoStretch provide mobile testing, helping application stores, developers and mobile device manufacturers in testing and monitoring of mobile content, applications and services.
Static code analysis
Static code analysis is the analysis of computer software that is performed without actually executing programs built from that software (analysis performed on executing programs is known as dynamic analysis) Static analysis rules are available for code written to target various mobile development platforms.
Android testing framework supports
- Unit test
- Functional test
- Activity test
- Mock objects
- Utilites to simplify test creation
Factory testing is a kind of sanity check on mobile devices. It is conducted automatically to verify that there are no defects brought by the manufacturing or assembling.
Mobile testing contains:
- mobile application testing
- hardware testing
- battery (charging) testing
- signal receiving
- network testing
- protocol testing
- mobile games testing
- mobile software compatibility testing
Certification testing is the check before a mobile device goes to market. Many institutes or governments require mobile devices to conform with their stated specifications and protocols to make sure the mobile device will not harm users' health and are compatible with devices from other manufacturers. Once the mobile device passes all checks, a certification will be issued for it. When users submit mobile apps to application stores/marketplaces, it goes through a certification process. Many of these vendors outsource the testing and certification to third party vendors, to increase coverage and lower the costs.
- "Mobile Technologies Heralding Innovations in Healthcare Industry". PASS Technologies AG. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Mobile device testing
- Application Store Certification
- Industrial Perspective on Static Analysis. Software Engineering Journal Mar. 1995: 69–75, Wichmann, B. A., A. A. Canning, D. L. Clutterbuck, L. A. Winsbarrow, N. J. Ward, and D. W. R. Marsh. http://www.ida.liu.se/~TDDC90/papers/industrial95.pdf
- application store certification challenges