Mobile Downtown Airport
|Mobile Downtown Airport|
|USGS aerial image, 2002|
|IATA: BFM – ICAO: KBFM – FAA LID: BFM|
|Owner/Operator||Mobile Airport Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||26 ft / 8 m|
|Source: FAA and airport website|
Mobile Downtown Airport (IATA: BFM, ICAO: KBFM, FAA LID: BFM) is a public use airport located three nautical miles (6 km) south of the central business district of Mobile, a city in Mobile County, Alabama, United States. The airport is a principal component of the Mobile Aeroplex at Brookley, a 1,650-acre (668 ha) industrial complex. It is owned and operated by the Mobile Airport Authority. Prior to 1969, the airport was part of an active military installation known as Brookley Air Force Base.
According to the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, it is categorized as a general aviation facility. This was a change from the 2007–2011 NPIAS Report, when it was categorized as a reliever airport.
The airport has a control tower and has both a 9,600-by-150-foot (2,926 m × 46 m) runway and a 7,800-by-150-foot (2,377 m × 46 m) runway. Various instrument approaches to all runways are available, including an on-site VORTAC and instrument landing system (ILS). The complex is served by a 24-hour fixed base operator, the Downtown Air Center.
For the 12-month period ending January 31, 2010, the airport had 82,820 aircraft operations, an average of 226 per day: 49% general aviation, 43% military, 5% air taxi, and 3% scheduled commercial. At that time there were 34 aircraft based at this airport: 65% single-engine, 18% multi-engine, 15% jet and 3% helicopter.
- FAA Airport Master Record for BFM ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 29 July 2010.
- "The People of Brookley Complex". Brookley Complex website. Archived from the original on 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2007-12-06.
- National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013: Appendix A: Part 1 (PDF, 1.33 MB). Federal Aviation Administration. Updated 15 October 2008.
- 2007–2011 NPIAS Report: Appendix A: Part 1 (PDF, 1.26 MB). Federal Aviation Administration. Updated 6 October 2006.
- Aviation Photos: Mobile - Downtown (Brookley Field / CGAS) from Airliners.net
- Aerial image as of 4 March 2002 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective November 13, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for BFM, effective November 13, 2014
- Resources for this airport: