Modern in 2007
|Established||1934 (as State Street Apizza)|
|Current owner(s)||Bill Pustari|
|Food type||New Haven-style pizza|
|Street address||874 State Street|
|Other information||Credit cards are accepted.|
Originally called State Street Apizza, Modern Apizza was founded in 1934 and has been in the same spot ever since. Unlike Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana and Sally's Apizza, the other well-known New Haven pizzerias, Modern Apizza is not located on New Haven's famous Wooster Street but rather on nearby State Street in the East Rock neighborhood. In 2011, the restaurant was visited by Adam Richman on the first episode of Man v. Food Nation.
Like the Wooster Street pizzerias, Modern serves New Haven-style thin-crust apizza (closely related to Neapolitan-style Italian pizza). Unlike the Wooster Street pizzerias which is baked in a coal-fired brick oven, Modern uses an oil-fueled brick oven. The restaurant also sells Foxon Park soft drinks, made in East Haven, Connecticut, which many locals argue are the perfect beverages to accompany New Haven-style pizza. Modern's specialties include the Clams Casino (Clams, Bacon & Peppers) the Italian Bomb (Sausage, Bacon, Pepperoni, Mushroom, Onion, Pepper & Garlic) and a classic Italian variation: Pizza Margherita, made with fresh mozzarella from Liuzzi Cheese in North Haven, Connecticut. Modern Apizza also uses fresh littleneck clams for their white clam pies; the only difference between Modern and Pepe's is that Modern uses pre-shucked clams while Pepe's shuck their clams on location. Yet another coastal favorite is a white tuna pie.
Awards and accolades
In a blind taste test conducted by two Yale University undergraduates in 2008, Modern Apizza finished in first place ahead of five other New Haven pizzerias. It has also won the New Haven Advocate’s Best of Reader’s Poll for “Best Pizza” twelve years in a row. Playboy magazine named Modern Apizza as one of the ten best in the country.
- Ed Levine (2005). Pizza: A Slice of Heaven. Universe Publishing
- "Connecticut's Best Restaurants". New England Riders. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Scott's Pizza Journal, Pizza Road Trip - New Haven, CT
- Pizza Month tracking log
- Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe
- Pannell, Courtney (2008-11-06). "Taste tests prove that brand does matter". Yale Daily News.
- Shouse, Heather (2010-08-18). "The A-List: Best Pizza in America". Playboy Enterprises, Inc.[dead link]
- "Playboy's Top 10 Pizzerias in the U.S.". Slice. Serious Eats. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Official website
- Modern's review at New Haven Advocate.com[dead link]
- Modern's review at Metromix[dead link]
- Modern's review at Pizzatherapy.com
- Modern's review at Roadfood.com
- Article from Gourmet Magazine[dead link]
- Article from New England Travel & Life Magazine[dead link]
- Location on Google Maps