Modern equipment of the French Army
- MAC 50 – 9 mm – pistol
- Glock 17 – 9 mm – pistol (Navy)
- Manurhin MR73 – .38 Spc/.357 Mag – revolver (GIGN only)
- GIAT BM92-G1 (PAMAS-G1) – 9 mm – pistol (Gendarmerie, Air force & Army)
- HK USP – 9 mm – pistol (HK USP Compact for Navy, HK USP in Army)
- SIG SP 2022 – 9 mm – pistol (Gendarmerie)
- FAMAS – 5.56 mm assault rifle
- SIG 550 – 5.56 mm assault rifle (Navy, Army & Gendarmerie)
- HK416 – 5.56 mm assault rifle for special forces
- HK G36E – 5.56 mm assault rifle (Navy, Army & Gendarmerie)
- M4 & CAR15 – 5.56 mm assault rifle used by French special forces
- M16 rifle – 5.56 mm assault rifle used by French special forces
- FR-F2 – 7.62 mm- sniper rifle
- FRG2 – 7.62 mm- sniper rifle in Air force
- PGM Ultima Ratio – 7.62 mm- sniper rifle
- HK G3 – 7.62 mm- DMR rifle
- HK417 – 7.62 mm- DMR rifle for French special forces
- Sako TRG-42 – 300 Winchester Magnum- sniper rifle for French special forces
- PGM Hécate II – 12.7 mm heavy sniper rifle
- MAT-49 – 9 mm – SMG
- HK MP5 – 9 mm – MP5F by HK & GIAT
- HK UMP- 9 mm – SMG
- Mini UZI- 9 mm – SMG
- LGI Mle F1 – individual grenade launcher
- FN Minimi – 5.56 mm & 7.62 mm light machine gun
- ANF1 – 7.62 mm light machine gun
- FN MAG – light machine gun
- M2 – 12.7 mm heavy machine gun
- APILAS – anti-tank rocket launcher
- AT4 CS – anti-tank weapon
- ERYX – anti-tank missiles (492)
- MILAN – anti-tank missiles (now Milan II) (540)
- FGM-148 Javelin – anti-tank missile (76 Launchers, 260 Missiles)
|Armoured combat vehicles|
|AMX-56 Leclerc||France||Main battle tank||254
152 in storage
|Will be reducing to 200 in service and 206 in storage under future plans.|
|AMX-30B2||France||Main battle tank||17||Used for OPFOR training|
|AMX-10 RC||France||Armoured Car||256|
|ERC 90 Sagaie||France||Armoured Car||152|
|VBCI||France||Infantry fighting vehicle||500(630)||Includes:|
|AMX-10P||France||Infantry fighting vehicle||158|
|VAB||France||Armoured personnel carrier||3,170||Includes:|
|Armoured personnel carrier
Amphibious armoured personnel carrier
|Order split between Bv206S and BvS10|
|Buffalo||United States||Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected||5|
|Nexter Aravis||France||Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected||14|
|VBL||France||Light Armoured Vehicle||1,610|
|PVP||France||Light Armoured Vehicle||1,133|
|Renault Sherpa 3||France||Light Armoured Vehicle||0 (33)|
|Engin Blindé du Génie||France||Armoured engineering vehicle||42|
|Leclerc DCL||France||Armoured recovery vehicle||18|
|AMX-30D||France||Armoured recovery vehicle||58|
|Renault GBC 180||France||Truck||~5,500|
|Peugeot P4||France||Light Utility Vehicle||13,500|
|Land Rover Defender||France||Light Utility Vehicle||550|
|VPS||France||Light Utility Vehicle||Used by special forces|
Surface to surface artillery
- AMX 30 AuF1 – 155 mm self-propelled howitzer and TRF1 – 155 mm towed howitzer (73)
- CAESAR – 155 mm wheeled self-propelled howitzer (77)
- RTF1 – 120 mm mortar (92)
- LLR 81 mm mortar
|Pilatus PC-6||Switzerland||Training aircraft||5|
|SOCATA TBM||France||VIP transport & Utility||11|
|Eurocopter Tiger||Europe||Attack helicopter||39||41 more on order.|
|NHIndustries NH90||Europe||Transport helicopter||10||2 batches of 34 ordered, 68 total|
|Aérospatiale Puma||France||Transport helicopter||92|
|Eurocopter Caracal||France||Transport helicopter||14||More on order.|
|Eurocopter Cougar||France||Transport helicopter||23|
|Aérospatiale Gazelle||France||Reconnaissance helicopter||152||One lost on 11 January 2013.|
|Eurocopter Fennec||France||Training helicopter||18|
- Crecerelle – tactical reconnaissance (12)
- CL-289 – tactical reconnaissance (54)
- Sperwer – tactical reconnaissance (18)
In the 1970s France adopted a light beige dress uniform which is worn with coloured kepis, sashes, fringed epaulettes, fourragères and other traditional items on appropriate occasions. The most commonly worn parade dress however consists of camouflage uniforms worn with the dress items noted above.
The legionnaires of the French Foreign Legion wear white kepis, blue sashes and green and red epaulettes as dress uniform, while the Troupes de marine wear blue and red kepis and yellow epaulettes. The sappers of the French Foreign Legion wear the basic legionnaire uniform but with leather aprons and gloves. The Chasseurs Alpins wear a large beret, known as the "tarte" (the pie) with dark blue or white mountain outfits. The Spahis retain the long white cloak or "burnous" of the regiment's origin as North African cavalry.
The infantry and cavalry of the Republican Guard retain their late 19th century dress uniforms, as do the military cadets of Saint-Cyr and the École Polytechnique. A medium blue evening dress for officers is now seldom seen but individual branches or regiments may parade bands or "fanfares" in historic dress dating as far back as the Napoleonic period.
- "Les chiffres clés de la défense 2012" (in (French)). Defense.gouv.fr.
- "Les chiffres clés de la Défense – Édition 2011" (in (French)). Defense.gouv.fr. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- "Le Livre blanc 2013" (in (French)). Defense.gouv.fr.
- "French receive 500th VBCI". Army Recognition.
- "French receive 500th VBCI". Army Recognition.
- "FRANCE". Armedforces.co.uk. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "French Army receives first BvS10 vehicles". Army-technology.com. 29 November 2011. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- Christopher F Foss (11 June 2011). "French Army builds up all-terrain fleet". Ihs.com. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- Armed Forces International's Defence Correspondent (30 November 2011). "First BvS10 Amphibious Vehicle for France". Armedforces-int.com. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Bv206S Tracked Armoured Personnel Carrier, Sweden". Army-technology.com. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "One thousand PVP light armored vehicles in service". Armyrecognition.com. 14 July 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Defender : le véhicule polyvalent de l'armée de Terre" (in (French)). defense.gouv.fr. 28 June 2010. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "VPS Light 4x4 Special Forces patrol vehicle". Armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Les chiffres de la defense edition 2011" (in French). Defense.gouv.fr. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- France Orders 34 More NH90 Helicopters – Defense-Aerospace.com, 30 May 2013
- Air Forces Monthly. Stamford, Lincolnshire, England: Key Publishing Ltd. March 2013. p. 32.
- Official website of the French Ministry of Defense (in French)
- Les hélicoptères de l'armée de terre : situation et perspectives – Report from the French Senate (in French)
- Le rôle des drones dans les armées – Report from the French Senate (in French)
- Projet de loi de finances pour 2003 : Forces terrestres – Report from the French Senate (in French)
- Projet de loi de finances pour 2007 : Défense – Forces terrestres – Report from the French Senate (in French)