Modesto Junior College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
|Modesto Junior College|
The college was founded in 1921.
The campus at Modesto Junior College features a suburban setting, small city and commuter campus. The college has many facilities including the Performing and Media Arts Center, Great Valley Museum, and Agriculture Pavilion.
The college is part of the Yosemite Community College District within the California Community Colleges System. The current college president is Jill Stearns. The district is governed by an elected seven-member Board of Trustees.
Modesto Junior College provides over 70 Associate Degrees, 30 of which are of Agriculture alone. MJC is also home to an agricultural internship program in which students are given residence on West Campus. The school owns over 100 acres of various crops which it uses to teach the students theory of crop and animal sciences as well as give the students in the field experience.
Modesto Junior College is a member of CCCAA. Sports teams are nicknamed the MJC Pirates and their colors are blue, silver and white. Modesto Junior College offers Men's Baseball; Men's and Women's basketball; Men's and Women's Cross Country; Men's Football; Men's and Women's Golf; Men's and Women's Soccer; Women's Softball; Men's and Women's Swimming; Men's and Women's Tennis; Men's and Women's Track; Women's Volleyball; Men's and Women's Water Polo; and Men's Wrestling at the Intercollegiate level respectively.
The Pirates are also one of the few Junior College teams in the United States to host its own football bowl game. The Pirates host the Graffiti Bowl every year in late November, in honor of their program's prestigious tradition along with respect for the once popular Graffiti Parade that occurred in Modesto during the 1960s and 1970s.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
- George Lucas (creator of the Star Wars saga). He also wrote and produced American Graffiti, a nostalgic portrait of teenage life in early 1960s Modesto.
- Gino Marchetti, former Defensive End for Baltimore Colts, NFL Hall of Famer.
- Hiram Fuller, professional basketball player.
- Charles E. Woodworth, entomologist, taught at MJC in the 1920s.
- Roger Nixon, composer.
- Matt Bettencourt, PGA Tour golfer who finished 1st on the Nationwide Tour money list in 2008.
- Jeremy Renner, an actor nominated for an Academy Award for The Hurt Locker who also appeared in The Avengers.
- Ray Lankford, played for the St. Louis Cardinals and San Diego Padres.
- Jeff Moorad, former sports agent, now owns the San Diego Padres.
- Shawn Boskie, former Major League Baseball Pitcher for the Chicago Cubs.
- Lindsay Pearce, Glee actress.
- Dot Jones, Track and Field Olympian and Actress.
- Oscar Zeta Acosta, Chicano Activist, Lawyer, and Author
- Earth Metrics Inc., Phase I Environmental Site Assessment, Ardmore Avenue, Modesto, California'‘, Report 7962.W0, May 31, 1932
- "Accreditation". Modesto Junior College. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Modesto Junior College. "Degree Listings".
- Modesto Junior College. "MJC Internship".
- Modesto Junior College, Agriculture Program
- White, Dana (1999). George Lucas. Twenty-First Century Books. p. 18. ISBN 0-8225-4975-1.