|Rector||Dr. Ali Sheikh Ahmed|
Mogadishu University (Arabic: جامعة مقديشو, Somali: Jaamacada Muqdisho) is an accredited non-governmental university in Mogadishu, Somalia. As of 2012, it is ranked among the top 40 universities in Africa.
The idea to establish a non-governmental educational institution started in June 1993, after which time it took five years to develop and open the university. On September 22, 1997, Mogadishu University (MU) opened its doors as a non-governmental, non-profit institution for higher learning, governed by a Board of Trustees and a University Council.
Mogadishu University has relocated its activities to its new campus on the outskirts of Mogadishu.
Dr. Ali Sheikh Ahmed is the president.
The main campus in Mogadishu was initiated with the assistance of the Islamic Development Bank in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, among other donors. In 2008, Mogadishu University opened another campus in Bosaso in the northeastern Puntland state of Somalia.
The institution has been invited to join the Somali Aid Coordination Body (SACB) Educational Sector Committee. On September 21, 2004, the MU representatives Mr. Fathudin Mohamed, Westley Bii and Hussein M. Iman (MU Program Director) attended the SACB Educational Sector Committee meeting in Nairobi, Kenya.
Two delegates from MU, Dr. Abdurahman Moalim Abdullahi, the Chairman of Board of Trustees and Dr. Abdullahi Farah Asseyr, MD, Adviser of the President and Head of Health Affairs at MU, paid a 10 day visit to Norway during which they signed a partnership agreement with the University of Tromsø.
The university accepts students who have graduated from secondary schools or those who have GCE equivalent certificates. Before enrollment, students sit for qualifying examinations. If they pass, they proceed to enroll in their program of study.
University centers are:
- The Center for Community Services and Continuing Education,
- The Institute for Somali Studies (ISOS),
- The Somali Center for Water and Environment,
- The Institute of Languages.
The university has nine faculties, which award BA and B.Sc degrees. The university's faculties are:
- Faculty of Economics & Management Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Nursing and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Share'a and Law
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology
- Faculty of Political Sciences & Information
- Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
As of 2012, Mogadishu University has accreditation with the Board of the Intergovernmental Organization EDU.
- The Association of African Universities
- Association of Arab Private Institutions for Higher Education
- The Association of Arab Universities (AARU)
- The Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW)
- The Islamic Universities League