|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Mogappair is a fast-developing residential neighborhood in north-western Chennai, India. It is located west of the Jawaharlal Nehru Road (Inner Ring Road) and is part of the Ambattur zone(7) of the Chennai Corporation. There are industrial estates to the north and west, namely Padi, Mannurpet and Ambattur.
The abundance of highly reputed schools, specialized hospitals and the recent influx of IT offices in the industrial estates in and around it have catapulted Mogappair into a strategic location for business. The reasonable rents make this a favorite area for aviation crew members, patients visiting the heart specialty hospitals and employees in the IT industry.
The Mangal Lake in the northern part of Mogappair was heavily contaminated by the effluents from the adjoining Ambattur Industrial estate. Today, there has been some reform taken up by Neer Exnora to protect and beautify it. A few decades ago, Mogappair was a small village, a part of which is still intact in the south-western part of Mogappair.
Origin of the name
Mogappair was once "Maga-p-peru" (meaning "blessed with a child"). After persistent mispronunciation, the term "Magapperu", in course of time, has become "Mogappair" or "Mugappair" - the name of the place.
Sri Santhana Srinivasa Perumal Temple is located at Mogappair. The name Magapperu is derived from the belief that the deity Shri Santhana Srinivasa Perumal grants the blessing of parenthood to childless couples. After persistent mispronunciation, the name 'evolved' to its present form (Mogappair). Childless couples visit this temple and offer their prayers, and it is said that their wishes come true after the visit.
Shri Arunachalam Mudaliar, the founder of Santhana Srinivasa Perumal Temple at Mogappair, constructed the temple approximately 170 years back. After Shri Arunachalam Mudaliar, his descendants manage the temple.
Once a pastoral village, Mogappair has turned into a vertically-enabled residential neighborhood. It was once a sparsely populated back-of-beyond village. Today, Mogappair is a burgeoning residential locality that is punctuated with apartment complexes. A beehive of construction activity, one can always see some promoter or the other breaking ground on a 'vertical' project in this north-western suburb.
The change has been phenomenal in Mogappair. Once, cultivated lands stretched away endlessly, irrigated by Mogappair Eri, Mangal Eri, Nolambur Eri and Ambattur Eri. Though the locality was idyllic and scenic, some outsiders were reluctant to settle at Mogappair.
The coming of the Ambattur Industrial Estate changed the contours of Mogappair as also the images it evoked. The State Government, through schemes anchored by the Tamil Nadu Housing Board, wanted to make Mogappair a residential suburb, primarily for those employed in industrial units in neighboring areas.
The locality is served by a bus terminus on Third Main Road in Mogappair East and West'. The terminus is being developed by the Local Area Development Fund, including cementing the entire surface, construction of time keeper's office, water facilities & toilets and erecting two 60-foot-high high-mast lamps, one each at the entrance and at the exit. About 30,000 people use the terminus daily, from where about 39 buses on 12 routes are being operated daily, making about 280 trips daily. Mogappair East Bus Terminus is yet to be developed like Mogappair West. Mogappair west bus depot is the alighting point for the SBIOA Model Matric. Hr. Sec. School
Education and Health care
Schools, hospitals and guest houses define Mogappair. This suburb abounds with schools. Hospitals are a close second. There are the speciality Madras Medical Mission and the newly set-up International Centre for Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Diseases and also a few multi-speciality hospitals around the locality.
Computer Training Center in Mogappair
CSC Computer Education, Mogappair.
Schools in Mogappair
- Dawn (CBSE) International School, Nolambur
- Priya Matric HSS, Mogappair West
- DAV Matric HSS, Mogappair East
- DAV Girls HSS (CBSE), Mogappair East
- DAV Boys HSS (CBSE), Mogappair East
- Chennai Public school (CBSE), TVS Colony, Anna Nagar West
- Spartan Matric HSS, Mogappair East
- Spartan CBSE school, Mogappair East
- The Schram Academy International school (Nolumbur)
- MGR Adarsh Matric HSS, Mogappair East
- Green Valley Matric HSS, Mogappair West
- SBIOA Model Matric Higher Secondary School, Mogappair Eri scheme
- Shamrock Matric HSS, Mogappair East
- Vasantham - School for children with intellectual disabilities
- PMR Matric HSS, Mogappair East
- Leo Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Government Boys Higher Secondary School - Mogappair East
- Government Girls Higher Secondary School - Mogappair East
- Amutha Matriculation Higher Secondary School - Mogappair West
- Sri Krishnammal Matric Higher Secondary School- Mogappair East
- Velammal Matriculation Higher Secondary School - Mogappair East
- Velammal Matriculation Higher Secondary School - Mogappair West
- Nethrodaya school for visually challenged
Art School in Mogappair
- Kalaikkottam Dance School.
Hospitals in Mogappair
- MMM Hospitals (Madras Medical Mission)
- Frontier Lifeline Hospitals (Dr. Cherian Heart Foundation)
- Vidhya's Eversmile Dental Clinic
- Denticare (Dr.Gnanaraj BDS., MSAID Australia) Dental & implant Clinic
- Trinity dental clinic (Dr.Joseph Anand MDS.)
- Take Care Hospital
- Srinivas Eye Hospital
- Pranav Eye Care Hospital
- Raj Nursing Home
- Chennai Hospital
- Apollo Hospital (Vanagaram to Amattur Main Road, Ayanambakkam)
- Vasan Eye Care Hospital
- KURINJI Holistic Health Care Center (Siddha, Ayurvedic, Yoga And Naturopathy Center)
- Vasan Eye Care
- "The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : For Mogappair's Mangal Eri, redemption at last". Hinduonnet.com. 2005-05-18. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Tamil Nadu News : Plan to make ‘lake adoption’ a mass movement". The Hindu. 2008-03-27. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "A rural suburb turns a 'flat' zone". The Hindu. 2004-03-20. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Chennai dinam | Madras Day | Contribution to Madras Day | Tribute to Madras | Looking back Chennai | Madras Day celebrations | Major Buildings in Chennai | Trademark of Chennai | August 22 event". Dinamalar.com. 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- Madhavan, T. (25 November 2012). "Mogappair West bus terminus gets a facelift.". The Hindu (Chennai: The Hindu). Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.