|Directed by||Chandra Prakash Dwivedi|
|Produced by||Vinay Tiwari|
|Written by||Kashinath Singh|
|Screenplay by||Dr. Chandra Prakash Dwivedi|
|Story by||Dr. Kashinath Singh|
|Based on||Kashi Ka Assi
by Dr. Kashinath Singh
|Editing by||Aseem Sinha|
|Studio||Crossword Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.|
Mohalla Assi (Hindi: मोहल्ला Banaras) is a 2012 Bollywood film starring Sunny Deol, and directed by Chandra Prakash Dwivedi who previously directed Pinjar (2003), starring Urmila Matondkar and Manoj Bajpai, and most known for television epic Chanakya.
The film is based on Dr. Kashinath Singh's popular Hindi novel Kashi Ka Assi. Assi Ghat is a ghat in Varanasi (Banaras) on the banks of Ganges River, and the film is based in a famous and historical 'Mohalla' (locality) by the ghat, on the southern end of Banaras. Also starring Ravi Kishen and Sakshi Tanwar, the film is set in the post-independence period. Currently film is in post-production stage and likely to release in January, 2013. As of November 2013, the film is delayed as the film director has stopped the work claiming that he has not been paid his dues.
The film was shot on the banks of The Ganga and on the sets erected at the Film City, Mumbai The film is nearing completion and is slated to release around post monsoon all over India and oversears. Ameesha Patel was offered the female lead role but turned it down due to financial differences with the film's producer. Sakshi Tanwar was a cast a replacement.
- "Sunny is all set to play priest". Times of India. Feb 8, 2011.
- "Sunny Deol to play a pandit in Mohalla Assi". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Sunny dons a priest's look for his new film 'Mohalla Assi'". Deccan Herald. Feb 9, 2011.
- "Mohalla Assi delayed alleged non-payment of dues". November 30, 2013. The Times of India. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "Sakshi Tanwar in Mohalla Assi". Indian Express. Feb 11, 2011.
- "Sunny Deol is learning Sanskrit". MiD DAY. 2011-02-09.
- "In the new world". Indian Express. Feb 11, 2011.