Elneny sitting on the bench in a match versus FC Sion in February 2013
|Full name||Mohamed Naser Elsayed Elneny|
|Date of birth||11 July 1992|
|Place of birth||El-Mahalla El-Kubra, Egypt|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|2008–2010||El Mokawloon SC|
|2010–2013||El Mokawloon SC||35||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2014, 24:00 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Mohamed Naser Elsayed Elneny (El Nenny), (born 11 July 1992 in El-Mahalla El-Kubra) is an Egyptian footballer who plays for Swiss side FC Basel in the Swiss Super League. He is right footed. He competed at the 2012 Summer Olympics playing for the Egyptian U-23 team.
El Neny played his youth football with El Ahly. In 2008 he transferred to El Mokawloon SC during the 2010–2011 season. Elneny advanced and became a regular in the starting team. Following the Port Said Stadium disaster, early February 2012, the Egyptian Premier League was stopped and all subsequent matches of the 2011–12 Egyptian Premier League were postponed. On 10 March 2012, the Egyptian Football Association announced their decision to cancel the remainder of the season. Following the incident Elneny was solely able to play for the Egyptian National team and the National U-23 team.
FC Basel had been watching Elneny for some time and invited him to their training camp in Estepona from 14 to 24 January 2013. Elneny played his unofficial debut on 18 January 2013 during the friendly match against Steaua Bucureşti, a 1–1 draw. Elneny was able to impress Basel's trainer Murat Yakin during the training camp and on 29 January 2013, it was announced that he had signed a loan contract with Basel up until the end of June 2013. Elneny played his official debut for Basel in the 2012–13 Swiss Super League season on 10 February 2013 in the 3–0 home win against Sion as he was substituted in at half time.
At the end of the Swiss Super League season 2012–13 Elneny won the Championship title and was Swiss Cup runner up with Basel. In the 2012–13 UEFA Europa League Basel advanced as far as the semi-finals, there being matched against the reigning UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea, but they were knocked out, losing both home and away ties, beaten 2–5 on aggregate.
During May 2013 Basel announced that they had taken up the option of signing the Egyptian midfielder on a permanent basis. He signed a four-year contract up-until 30 June 2017. He scored his first goal for Basel, the last goal of the match, in the 4–2 home win at the St. Jakob-Park against Zurich on 16 April 2014. At the end of the 2013–14 Super League season Elneny won the league championship with Basel. They also reached the final of the 2013–14 Swiss Cup, but were beaten 2–0 by Zürich after extra time. During the 2013–14 Champions League season Basel reached the group stage and finished the group in third position. Thus they qualified for Europa League knockout phase and here they advanced as far as the quarter-finals.
As explained, following the Port Said Stadium disaster the Egyptian Premier League was stopped and all subsequent matches of the 2011–12 Egyptian Premier League were postponed. Following the incident Elneny was solely able to play for the Egyptian National team and the National U-23 team. The U-23 team's main objectiv was to qualify and play at the All-Africa Games and Olympic Games, and these aims were achieved with effective displays from Elneny. During the association football Men's tournament at the 2012 Summer Olympics he played in all four games. The team reached the last eight, but were knocked out by Japan.
Egypt National team
To date Elneny has played 33 games for the Egyptian senior team and scored 2 goals.
Scores and results list Egypt's goal tally first.
|1.||5 June 2014||Brisbane Road, London, England||Jamaica||0–1||2–2||Friendly|
|2.||10 October 2014||National Stadium, Gaborone, Botswana||Botswana||1–0||2–0||2015 Africa Cup of Nations Qualification|
- Swiss Super League (2): 2012–13, 2013–14
- Swiss Cup Runner-up (2): 2012–13, 2013–14
- Uhren Cup (1): 2013
- "Egypt's Premier League cancelled". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 10 March 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2012.
- FC Basel 1893 (2013). "Der Ägypter Mohamed Elneny wechselt leihweise zum FCB" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Mosselhi, Mohamad (2013). "Arab Contractors midfielder Mohamed El-Nenny signs a six-month loan deal with Swiss side Basel". ahram.org.eg. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- King Fut (2013). "OFFICIAL: FC Basel sign Mohamed El-Nenny on loan". kingfut.com. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Schifferle, Michael (2013). "Season review: Switzerland". Eufa. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- SFV (2013). "Telegramm Schweizer Cup Final" (in German). Schweizerischer Fussballverband. Retrieved 20 May 2013.
- Haylett, Trevor (2013). "Basel take heart after Chelsea defeat". Eufa. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Elassal, Mahmoud (2013). "Basel take up option to buy Egypt's Elneny". ahramonline. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Marti, Caspar (2014). "Der FCB festigt seine Leaderposition mit einem 4:2 gegen den FCZ". FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- Grossenbacher, Sacha (2014). "Fotos vom Spiel gegen Lausanne sowie den anschliessenden Feierlichkeiten" (in German). FC Basel 1893. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Profile at FC Basel (German)
- Profile at Swiss Football League Website
- Mohamed Elneny at National-Football-Teams.com